What about classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about classes?

What do you think in implementing classes for the game? Many games have classes nowadays. This could be another plus to have more players playing the game. What do you think?

Perhaps a really well done and advertised mutator. I highly doubt Epic Games themselves would do something so drastic to the UT formula. It could work though if the project was made in the right hands.

Comment

yeah i think putting ut into that category of shooters like quake wars, killzone etc. would be pointless.
      They are great in their own right - but not suited for uT !

Comment

Originally posted by TheLeech View Post
        yeah i think putting ut into that category of shooters like quake wars, killzone etc. would be pointless.
        They are great in their own right - but not suited for uT !
        QFT

Classes do have a place in Unreal tough, if you played Unreal 2 XMP or the XMP mod for UT2004 you'd understand that it can work in UT, but I think the last thing UT needs at this point is to become too much like other games with all the bugs and etc it's unique playstyle in today's game market is the only reason it's still alive after a year and a half of mediocrity.

Comment

go and play teamfortress 2 if you want classes.

Comment

I say no classes. We already have the big-effin'-dude-with-skymine-combos on top of the "normal" class.

Comment

classes? like you can't use or pickup a sniper if you're assault class?

this gameplay is next to perfect ATM if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                Classes do have a place in Unreal tough, if you played Unreal 2 XMP or the XMP mod for UT2004 you'd understand that it can work in UT, but I think the last thing UT needs at this point is to become too much like other games with all the bugs and etc it's unique playstyle in today's game market is the only reason it's still alive after a year and a half of mediocrity.
                Ah, XMP takes me back. I enjoyed that.

Comment

Bad idea for UT3 IMO. You have Killzone 2 and TF2 for class based MP gameplay.

Comment

It was just brainstorming. I'm not saying that I want them. But the fact is: people likes (in general) having some sort of "grade" while playing. Being in the top players leaderboards is almost impossible for the majority of players. But as you progress, if you have some sort of "grade", according to me it wouldn't hurt the game (in fact, it doesn't change it at all). For example, 100 kills means "First grade Ronin", 200 kills means "Second grade Ronin", 1000 kills means "Commander Ronin" and so on. It's not drastic at all, I think and it doesn't change anything at the end.
                    Think at achievements, for example: they have been criticized but many people like them. At the end, "grades" are some sort of "in-game" achievements but they're not "detrimental" to the gameplay like them (if well studied and implemented).

Comment

Originally posted by Eew View Post
                      Bad idea for UT3 IMO. You have Killzone 2 and TF2 for class based MP gameplay.
                      I'm discussing a possibility to help this game to acquire a bigger user base. "You have Killzone 2 and TF2" doesn't make sense. We don't need Unreal at all if we always think at other videogames. What I would like to achieve is that TF2, CoD4 players begin to move to Unreal Tournament. To bring users to this game, you have to make these games lose their players. A player lost for CoD 4 may become an acquired player for Unreal Tournament III.

Comment

THe idea of classes is awful - I don't want to kill muself and respawn to get into the class I need for a situation.

But what is needed is a summary scoreboard at the end of the game that says who has done which role.

-e.g. best assassin
                        Most nodes built
                        Most vehichles wrecked
                        Most individual weapon kills.#

Comment

Originally posted by mjordan View Post
                          I'm discussing a possibility to help this game to acquire a bigger user base. "You have Killzone 2 and TF2" doesn't make sense. We don't need Unreal at all if we always think at other videogames.
                          Although I believe you are only trying to support UT3, I'm discussing that it's a bad idea to ******** UT3 and make it a class based MP game. You might not know, but there already is a class system in UT3, you can find it in Warfare. Nobody uses it though, cause the action in Warfare is way to fast and you need to switch tactics way to often. If UT3 Warfare was a class focused game I would have to commit suicide every minute to change to a other class cause of the changes in the battlefield (this also happens a lot in Bad Company: on of the main reasons why I don't like the game). I do have other games for class based MP action and I have UT3 for real FPS action. I'm not change feared or anything, I just want this game to be a FPS without classes and let other games focus on that, bc I gave it some good thinking.

What I would like to achieve is that TF2, CoD4 players begin to move to Unreal Tournament. To bring users to this game, you have to make these games lose their players. A player lost for CoD 4 may become an acquired player for Unreal Tournament III.
                          CoD4 is a totally different game. I doubt people who are very into CoD like UT3 cause they would need to invest in skill and speed. I rather not have CoD4 players in a UT3 servers cause that are the gamers who cry for the lack of open mic and turn on their (****) hiphop music for you to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                            THe idea of classes is awful - I don't want to kill muself and respawn to get into the class I need for a situation.

But what is needed is a summary scoreboard at the end of the game that says who has done which role.

-e.g. best assassin
                            Most nodes built
                            Most vehichles wrecked
                            Most individual weapon kills.#
                            Hehe, I was arguing the same...

Comment

What if the "stuffspace" where you keep your weapons and powerups wasn't infinite... and you had to apply a bit of sense to your weapon selection? Like only being able to carry two weapons at the same time. Do you pick link and avril? Flak and sniper?

You wouldn't tied into your initial selection, but you would have a more focussed role on the battlefield.

Maybe some stuff weighs less than others... like a single enforcer or the impact hammer. Maybe if you start out "light" enough, there's even room for a free powerup, like armor or boots.

In addition to that, one thing some of those "class based" games have that cannot be emulated in Unreal is team support in the form of ammo suppliers or medics.

Comment

Working...
                              X