Bots not as challenging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the bending link gun of bots... IIRC it works like this:

If it's possible to draw a straight line from their gun to you (i.e. nothing is blocking) they can shoot at you, but the arc is drawn client-side, so it's not necessarily drawn the way they shoot, but some way from their gun to you. Nev0rmind the bending, if it's possible for them to hit you with a straight link gun beam from where they're standing, that's what they do. (Yes, even when the beam bends back towards the bot with the link gun, rememb0r the engine coulda just drawn the closest line and not necessarily the arc.)

Comment

Seems to me the bots know how to use different guns, and vehicles a lot better now. They use the SPMA correctly, and even do the car bomb attack with both the Scorpion, and it's counter part, they also know how to duck under the blocking archs in the Dark Walkers, and the bots when they have a tank are sheer murder!

I also took note that the flying AI is much better, they spend less time romping around in the air now, and shoot more, as well as almost never crash into things like they did 24/7 before the patch.

Last but not least the AI use different guns differently now.

Stinger Mini guns: Used as a stand off spray weapon: They are vary effective with it too!

Bio Rifles: They use these now! They like to use them in close combat as well as to make a massive mine field!

Special weapons: they use the Redeemer, SlowField, XrayField, Spider Mine trap, EMP trap, and even go after the power ups now!

They use the Flack Cannon at close range, and if they have dual pistols they will use them in mid rang combat as well.

They are much more effective with the Sniper rifle: Especially on moving targets!

They also seem to use the secondary fire, and 3rd fire modes of weapons more now. In a few bot matches I had they used Rocket bombs on me, with pistols in burst mode at close range.

Comment

Originally posted by natureboystyle05 View Post
        holy shnykees that map mixer deal looks awesome! thanx for that link bro

what in the way of configurable bot options does it have?
        Accuracy, tactics, aggressiveness, dodging, awareness -- the whole shabang.

Plus being able to set up map specific parameters is really cool and once you get your map list set up the way that you want, you never have to go back to the Main UI to cycle or switch maps. You can play Betrayal on one match and have it load up a Warfare map on the next map etc.

It is really a useful utility for the PC version of UT3 and if you play with Bots, it's worth the time to learn how to set it up and use it.

Sinx is working on an update for patch 2.0, to update the Greed and Betrayal game types.

So you'll definitely want to keep your eyes on that thread.

Comment

While I appreciate all the ways they've been improved, especially in vehicle-oriented gametypes, there is definitely a problem here.

I just played a deathmatch on Morbias on Godlike. I was able to easily follow a bot right behind him to the rocket pickup at which point he made a full stop, sloowwwly rotated in place, then as soon as he spotted me he acted normal again.

And I easily won the match. I couldn't touch the godlike bots when I last played a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
            While I appreciate all the ways they've been improved, especially in vehicle-oriented gametypes, there is definitely a problem here.

I just played a deathmatch on Morbias on Godlike. I was able to easily follow a bot right behind him to the rocket pickup at which point he made a full stop, sloowwwly rotated in place, then as soon as he spotted me he acted normal again.

And I easily won the match. I couldn't touch the godlike bots when I last played a couple months ago.
            yes, i find myself most closely in the boat with this guy - but i could put up a fairly good fight; now they aren't anywhere near as challenging...

Comment

would map mixer break the awards?

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx View Post
                would map mixer break the awards?
                haven't tried it yet

but I'd say almost certainly, yes

which kinda sux, but oh well, i guess just do what i'm gonna do and get as many as u think u ever will want to go for, then start map mixin'!

Comment

Sorry if this has been discussed, because three pages of half dozen posts are tl;dr for me. ( :P ). However, I've noticed that bots seem to increase in difficulty when you play with other human players, as opposed to singleplayer. I first noticed this in Shangri La; in SP on average I slay, but I played with my dad, and also once with a couple friends online, and we seem to get our asses WAXED in the average difficulty. (Well, more accurately, we usually lose by just a handful of frags)

Is this true, or do we just manage to suck more playing together than playing solo? Seems to only really affect TDM, though. The other game modes are still easy as cake in average for some reason.

Comment

I noticed the same thing, maybe the difficulty levels are set differently depending on whether you play alone or not.

Comment

Personally, I have no desire to play with bots, but I'm glad they're available for learning or testing a level before you play with experienced players.

The decision-making power of the human mind generates an infinite amount of random responses. While current-generation AI may be greatly better than it was in the past, it is still no replacement for interacting with other live gamers.
                      For me, this is what makes any game immersive.

I also play CoD4, TF2, L4D and Sins. I couldn't imagine trying to form a useful team without real people on the other end. Now, if a computer could hold a real conversation with me and remember it for future interaction, then maybe I would start to change my mind. Yes, this would inevitably hail the beginning of the Robot Apocalypse, but hey, it was gonna happen anyway.

Comment

just played godlike bots on deimos... 20-0, got my award... bots are challanging they just have dumb behavoir (average bots pull of awsome shots all the time... but miss easy ones for example)

Comment

I just played a Duel match against a godlike bot on Turbine. At one point while the bot was waiting outside the shieldbelt spawn, I walked right up to him and shot him in the face with a shock rifle.

He made a pain sound but then just kept on waiting for the shieldbelt, completely ignoring my standing right next to him. I shot him a couple more times and he just kept right on waiting, oblivious to my presence.

I can't believe more of you can't identify this nonsense. It's absurdly obvious.

Comment

i never get that sort of luck.. i get them flying across the low grav parts of deimos sideways hitting my turret with every alt stinger shot O.o

Comment

Hard to tell since until today I hadn't played for almost a year but they do seem smarter most of the time. Seems like their crazy inhuman aim is gone, but I haven't tried the highest levels to see yet. Though now they sometimes bug out and just sit in base and don't move.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                                I just played a Duel match against a godlike bot on Turbine. At one point while the bot was waiting outside the shieldbelt spawn, I walked right up to him and shot him in the face with a shock rifle.

He made a pain sound but then just kept on waiting for the shieldbelt, completely ignoring my standing right next to him. I shot him a couple more times and he just kept right on waiting, oblivious to my presence.

I can't believe more of you can't identify this nonsense. It's absurdly obvious.
                                exactly - it's these types of things that are the problem: these are bugs/glitches, not just AI difficulty tone-downs

Comment

Working...
                                X