Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bots not as challenging?

Or am I just getting better?

Seriously though, has anyone dueled a bot or done TDM or DM with bots and felt like they weren't as challenging as they used to be before the latest updates? I used to just duel a bot and move up the difficulty level ladder to warm up, and they seem far less challenging... Even at Godlike a bot doesn't seem to be as 'resolute' (trying to think of a way to put this), as accurate, or as good at dodging as they were before the latest patch and titan pack.

Then again, maybe I've just been getting better in practicing.

Any of you guys notice a difference or am I just imagining this? I don't think I've gotten so much better that they should quite as 'less difficult as they do.

I wouldn't know because I hardly ever play with bots, but a lot of others seem to think they are better now. Got me.

Comment

Originally posted by natureboystyle05 View Post
      Or am I just getting better?

Seriously though, has anyone dueled a bot or done TDM or DM with bots and felt like they weren't as challenging as they used to be before the latest updates? I used to just duel a bot and move up the difficulty level ladder to warm up, and they seem far less challenging... Even at Godlike a bot doesn't seem to be as 'resolute' (trying to think of a way to put this), as accurate, or as good at dodging as they were before the latest patch and titan pack.

Then again, maybe I've just been getting better in practicing.

Any of you guys notice a difference or am I just imagining this? I don't think I've gotten so much better that they should quite as 'less difficult as they do.
      i would have to disagree with u since the patch i payed some attention to the bots and although i can beat a godlike bot easily they get some extremely epic kills on u lets put it this way if i could moving combo that well id be so pleased but i do wish i could make them harder sum times

one last point bots with miniguns and link guns should be banned
      LOL

Comment

Shafted! Hate the swarm of Bots chasing me with their green things waving at me like weiners!

Comment

Bots are a lot dumber now. I see them walking straight into to walls and getting vechicles stuck in corners and all kinds of nonsense that I never saw before this patch. That said, they also do a lot less humanly impossible things which makes other parts of the game (certain maps mostly) more playable with bots. They are a bit more varied in their strategies too, so I guess that's a plus.

Comment

if with UT4 (hoping there will be one) epic does not make a new and descent artificial intelligence from scrap, ill leave UT for good

Comment

hmmm... maybe I'm wrong about how challenging they are but... as some of you have stated, they certainly do some much dumber things - halfway through greed matches the bots just start to stand around in instant action for me.

try greed with bots on morbias and you'll see a good example of their sometimes 'dumbness'

another thing is this: when I host on LAN now to play with my bro, and I set it to a 32 player maximum, there is no longer a bot count slider - it just seems to put 16 in by default - i ran games with a full 32 bots (err i guess 31) under patch 1.3, but now can't find a way to do this on LAN hosted games with patch 2.0

Comment

I don't know if this applies to overall quality of the AI, but in Deathmatch bot levels have DEFINITELY changed.

I have an old system and I mostly play UT3 offline. I also can't do as well as I might with a better framerate. So I used to get a decent challenge out of 5 or 6 Adept level bots on my favorite DM maps.

After the patch, I'm constantly finishing games fast without ever dying. The difference is REALLY striking. And no it's not because I'm getting better or something. I hadn't touched UT3 for a couple months before the patch.

Maybe it just scales differently. Maybe higher levels are similar and they just made the lower levels easier for newbies.

But boy those mid-level bots are really dumb now.

I remember this happening in lower level bots for the original UT: Sometimes you spot a bot and it SLOWLY rotates in place to face you.

And in Turbine, the bots love to stand around with their backs turned to you as they wait (for too long) for the Shield belt to spawn. It kinda ruins the fun when they're so easy to frag in situations like that. :/

I'll have to test this all at a higher level, but I don't really have much time to play right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                  I don't know if this applies to overall quality of the AI, but in Deathmatch bot levels have DEFINITELY changed.

I have an old system and I mostly play UT3 offline. I also can't do as well as I might with a better framerate. So I used to get a decent challenge out of 5 or 6 Adept level bots on my favorite DM maps.

After the patch, I'm constantly finishing games fast without ever dying. The difference is REALLY striking. And no it's not because I'm getting better or something. I hadn't touched UT3 for a couple months before the patch.

Maybe it just scales differently. Maybe higher levels are similar and they just made the lower levels easier for newbies.

But boy those mid-level bots are really dumb now.

I remember this happening in lower level bots for the original UT: Sometimes you spot a bot and it SLOWLY rotates in place to face you.

And in Turbine, the bots love to stand around with their backs turned to you as they wait (for too long) for the Shield belt to spawn. It kinda ruins the fun when they're so easy to frag in situations like that. :/

I'll have to test this all at a higher level, but I don't really have much time to play right now.
                  this is the kind of stuff i'm talking about - it seems to have scaled back overall... and thus the godlike bots aren't as 'godlike' as they used to be

anyone else experiencing this? i know i'm not crazy lol

Comment

Hi natureboystyle05,

Yes, I have noticed the same thing you posted about & I'm not a good player at all. But it does seem that my weapons are taking enemy bots out quicker -- just slightly. It also does seem like overall, they behave a bit differently in 2.0 than 1.3.

There is a utility call Map Mixer that does provide configurable bot options. It's at this thread here:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=629942

Comment

i've noticed that bots have odd accuracy and damage

1. average bot can nail a direct tank shot at an SPMA camara, yet miss a player the same distance away
                      2. BENDING LINK GUNS!!! seriously, so far i have had a bot bend a linkgun round a 90 degree angle. and another bending it up to the above platform... this in godlike is harder then facing decent players because they lock it.
                      3. odd damage, one minute bot takes out your viper with one rocket. next it does 40 with the same direct hit with 1 rocket.
                      4. why do bots spam alt fire stinger?

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                        Shafted! Hate the swarm of Bots chasing me with their green things waving at me like weiners!

hahahahaha, what???

Comment

i think they are alot more tuffer than before

Comment

On godlike they can be very annoying. I usually play Experienced to get warmed up.

(back online next week)

Comment

Originally posted by brdempsey69 View Post
                              Hi natureboystyle05,

Yes, I have noticed the same thing you posted about & I'm not a good player at all. But it does seem that my weapons are taking enemy bots out quicker -- just slightly. It also does seem like overall, they behave a bit differently in 2.0 than 1.3.

The is a utility call Map Mixer that does provide configurable bot options. It's at this thread here:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=629942
                              holy shnykees that map mixer deal looks awesome! thanx for that link bro

what in the way of configurable bot options does it have?

Comment

Working...
                              X