Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Mic use so rare in UT3?

Hey guys,

Been playing UT3 since launch, but I've logged waaay more hours playing TF2. The thing that draws me into TF2 is the great team strategies that are formed when 80% of your team is using mics.

Mics are crucial to that game and make team organization fun and easy.

Many UT3 modes are team based, but almost no strategizing or cooperation happens because almost no one uses their mics. People pretty much just do what they want instead of attacking the flag all at once or letting people know where a Goliath is stationed.

UT3 would benefit greatly from increased mic use, so why doesn't anyone use mics in this game???

Because it sucks and sounds HORRIBLE.

Comment

yeah, same here. you add a way better teamplay, now its more something like: everbody for itshelfes, but dont kill team mates.

Comment

I've heard some of the new players using it, and most of them actually came across quite clearly. There was one guy that seemed to be using a voice changer to sound like Darth Vader though. I remember during the beta demo, most people trying to use it sounded static-y and it would break in and out.

Either they snuck a fix in one of the patches and I didn't notice or the people that have tried to use it lately are among the few with mics that work well with UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by elamre View Post
          its more something like: everbody for itshelfes, but dont kill team mates.
          that sums up what I always see

Comment

The reason is, because it didn't work very well when the game was launched. Since steam integration, I've a sneaky feeling it works a lot better -and I think that's what's changed (personal, uncorroborated oppinion.)

In UT2004, we used mics a lot - it was mandatory for big warfare maps - to know where the opponent's tanks were hiding etc.

When you play Left 4 dead, you will get slaughtered without a mic - so I'm now used to talking all the time (so sorry if I annoy anybody.) The difficulty is remembering that in L4D , everything is close and everything is relevant, but in UT3, you speak to the whole team that might be in very disparate areas of the map.

Comment

yea i totally agree, i think that the mics are sounding better. For once i heard someone say there was a titan in the flagroom, and it didn't come out as WARBLE WARBLE WARBLE

So looks like mics are working better, and they make the game a lot more fun, so....START USING THEM PEOPLE.

Comment

As of late, with friends, I'll use mine when it's plugged in. It's way better supported now, then when the game was first released. Some people really need to turn their **** down though

Comment

Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rd View Post
                  Because it sucks and sounds HORRIBLE.
                  most of the time it does not sound like sh*t but some players have the urge to scream in it or make annoying sounds in it...--> hate that.

Comment

I make sure voice is disabled in all games O-o Especially in this one seeing as the way people chat in text, no reason to allow people to be more annoying.

Comment

almost all of the "teams" in UT3 use various external voice programs to communicate in game: ventilo, teamspeak, GSC....

Voice chat in pubs with random people is slightly pointless since you have some people who only care about their own scores/frags and if they get the vehicle or not. That renders any attempt at organizing strats worthless.

In game look for people with team tags in front of their nick: [some letters in here]pwntang and ask questions if you are interested in a deeper level of play with team chat and strats...

Comment

im pretty sure i had to set up my computer for voice recognition for my mic to work through the game (had to build my own computer too). so i guess it wasnt all that good at the start from what i hear. then there are also a few of those kinds of players like this one time on warfare noone on my team was really cooperating as far as i could tell like running the orb. so i speak through the mic ingame and this one guy goes and calls me, well, a bundle of sticks. but everytime ive heard another player speak through their mic ingame its been quite clear and understandable though maybe/sometimes not loud enough to hear with all the stuff going on. some servers may also use/have some ventrilo or ts for voice chats while playing. ill bet that since the titan pack there will be more interest into voice chatting (and there probably already has been).

Comment

Originally posted by Sanch3z View Post

Voice chat in pubs with random people is slightly pointless since you have some people who only care about their own scores/frags and if they get the vehicle or not. That renders any attempt at organizing strats worthless.
                          What Sanches said.
                          Can you imagine what 10 random people talking all the time mostly about random things and shouts and screams and swearing etc, then you have an idea of what public server voice is like.
                          One reason I disable it.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a new headset with a working mic, specifically so I can help coordinate--and, in some cases quarterback--my teams in WAR. (The mic wire in my current headset snapped...) Should I even bother getting a new headset considering the aforementioned stigmas against mic-users? So far, I would only use the public teamspeak because I haven't cared enough to investigate the potential of third party voice chat programs. When players use these programs, how do they set up voice chatting with other players in the same UT server? How does the process work (I have no clue)?

This brings me to two related points:

1. Any recommendations on headsets not particularly exceeding the $100 USD threshold?

The USB ports on my computer don't recognize any new devices--Vista says "Access is denied" when installing their drivers or something like that--and all (hot-)fixes have failed thus far, so I'd need a headset with 3.5mm jacks or a USB to 3.5mm jack adapter <_<. Sound quality inside and outside of gaming is equally important, and field-tested feedback on the mic quality inside UT3 would be appreciated.

2. I do have some interest in joining a clan, any takers?

Background: If I had to modestly rate my UT3 "skill," I'd say that my performance ranges from above average to at least good in WAR and TDM in relation to pub standards. I haven't played any pugs or other private games, so no comment their. I got "serious" about UT3 about a month ago when I discovered the awesomeness in the Torlan-only gameplay (Torlan is awesome with a few good and Torlan-experienced players, fo'rill!). Up until Epic patched their Torlan-only servers, I played just Torlan for about 6 hours daily until I was a consistant pointleader. I was thinking about starting a non-serious "Torlan Allstars" clan, but that's pointless now until I have a Torlan-only server to play on again. If it's not too much to ask, I'd hope that any potentially recruiting clan is at least semi-organized so that I have a reciprocal reason to carry it's clan tag. My time zone is Central Time, GMT -06:00 (North America).

Thx and first post!

Comment

Actually people complain because I talk too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X