Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about GameSpy logon (name being taken)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question about GameSpy logon (name being taken)

    Okay, so from what I gather from reading about the whole naming thing is that Epic Games set up their own "namespace" meaning that people in UT3 could have a name identical to someone otherwise registered with Gamespy.

    Well... I've gone by B0T0X since UT99. I've only ever seen one person with a name remotely similar to mine and that wasn't in-game, it was after searching for my name on the UT2k4 statistics site.

    I preordered UT3 collector's edition and attempted to register my tag soon after getting the game. It was "taken"... I thought that was pretty much impossible, but ended up making a new tag nonetheless, which was frustrating, because I've run into people online who I knew from UT2k4 and I have to sit there and explain that I'm B0T0X when their name matches their UT2k4 name perfectly.

    Fast forward to today. I can put in every freaking variant of B0T0X and they're all taken... BOTOX, B0T0X, -B0T0X-, -BOTOX-... Even rediculously impossible names that would never be taken like -.-.-B0T0X-.-.- are "taken".

    So my question is... what's the deal? If we're on our own namespace then why is every variant of my name supposedly taken? I mean seriously... I've tried some stupid-looking long names with B0T0X in them and they're all "taken".

    Did Epic set up some kind of filter to prevent certain combinations of letters from being used within a name? For example... Because it contains the word "bot" in it is it being denied?

    #2
    Keep in mind that names registered during the beta demo carried over into the retail. A lot of people registered during that time to try it out and didn't continue playing.

    Comment


      #3
      I took your name.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
        Keep in mind that names registered during the beta demo carried over into the retail. A lot of people registered during that time to try it out and didn't continue playing.
        But do you really think people registered all of these?
        .B0T0X.
        -B0T0X-
        .-B0T0X-.
        -.B0T0X.-
        -.-B0T0X-.-
        .-.B0T0X.-.
        -.-.B0T0X.-.-
        .-.-B0T0X-.-.

        Seriously. Every variation is "taken". The online community is small by most standards. Typically under 2000 are online. I've only been playing about a week now and I've run into the same people in different games. Even if 100,000 people registered you have to agree that the odds of all of those being taken is astronomical.

        I'm seriously starting to suspect that names with "bot" or any variation of that in them are banned.

        Comment


          #5
          Register B0T0X on GameSpy site and then login in game. For m e the login / registration in the game itself is mostly broken, sometimes it says my password is wrong (but it's saved!).

          Comment


            #6
            It does strange things like you could register something like {hi}Cr4zy and then things like hi.Cr4zy [hi]Cr4zy etc won't work :x

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
              But do you really think people registered all of these?
              .B0T0X.
              -B0T0X-
              .-B0T0X-.
              -.B0T0X.-
              -.-B0T0X-.-
              .-.B0T0X.-.
              -.-.B0T0X.-.-
              .-.-B0T0X-.-.

              Seriously. Every variation is "taken".
              That's because they are all the same... Your name is B0T0X, right? Do you really expect people to see the difference online between -.-.B0T0X.-.- &
              .-.-B0T0X-.-. No, off course not, that's why they are all the same.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Eew View Post
                That's because they are all the same... Your name is B0T0X, right? Do you really expect people to see the difference online between -.-.B0T0X.-.- &
                .-.-B0T0X-.-. No, off course not, that's why they are all the same.
                Of course I don't expect people to see a difference, but I do expect the registration process to see a difference.

                I already have B0T0X registered with Gamespy. In fact, I had that name registered with Gamespy before the game was even released. When I try to enter my username and password from www.gamespyid.com the game tells me that it doesn't work, and that I should visit (you guessed it...) www.gamespyid.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3search.php

                  That site seems to be able to track everyone. I actually found no one with the name b0t0x. Not really sure why it's not letting you.. Someone else a bit ago complained about not being able to register with their name, even though it seemed to have not even been taken.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Apathy View Post
                    http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3search.php

                    That site seems to be able to track everyone. I actually found no one with the name b0t0x. Not really sure why it's not letting you.. Someone else a bit ago complained about not being able to register with their name, even though it seemed to have not even been taken.
                    I knew it!!!

                    I sent Flak a short PM about it. I'm not sure if she'll respond, but I can always hope :-\

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm not really sure she will be able to do anything about it

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Apathy View Post
                        I'm not really sure she will be able to do anything about it
                        Oh!!! I had no idea. How did you know Flak is a woman? Thankfully I didn't call her a man in my PM x_X haha

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
                          How did you know Flak is a woman?
                          When you're in a hole, stop digging. You now need to make a second apology

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The gamespy login only records nicks in alphanumeric code, so every other variant containing the same nick with other non alphanumeric characters will be regarded as the same thing.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                              When you're in a hole, stop digging. You now need to make a second apology
                              Assuming someone is male in an industry that is male-dominated does not put one into a hole, and asking how someone knows that forum admin with a sexually neutral name and gamer tag is female does not require an apology.
                              Originally posted by fru View Post
                              The gamespy login only records nicks in alphanumeric code, so every other variant containing the same nick with other non alphanumeric characters will be regarded as the same thing.
                              Thanks. That stinks... Still, I don't think there is any B0T0X within the UT3 namespace.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X