Demo Recordings / Replay Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demo Recordings / Replay Thread

It would be great to have some kind of centralised place where people can post replays of good matches for everyone to share.
    Im hoping in the long term that a UT site will incorporate some kind of searchable database of Demos, like this superarchive for Quake, where Demos can be sorted by player, map, game version etc..
    http://www.challenge-tv.com/index.php
    But in the short term perhaps people could post up any good Demos they have saved here with a few details about the contents...

For those not familiar with demos, they are recordings of matches that are saved in a small file that can be shared and replayed within the game. The huge advantage of Demo Recordings over movies is thier small size (sometimes just a few kb when zipped) and thier non impact of the performance of the game, you can save these replays in realtime as you play or spectate. Many games have a huge amount of community activity centered around demos, with commnity members providing mp3 commentary files (often called shoutcasts) that you can sync with the oscreen action. Demos are a fantastic way to learn strategies and tactics from the most skillfull players, and are a great resource for frag movie makes and can be used to identify cheating in competitions.

*To record a demo in UT3,
    simply press TAB to bring up the console and type:
    demorec filename
    So for instance: demorec DeckDuel001

*To end the demo recording,
    press TAB to bing up the console and type:
    demostop
    The demo should also automaticaly stop recording when there is a mapchange, server DC, game exit, etc.

*To watch a demo sinple go to the main menu in UT3 then:
    Community>Demo Playback.

*The demo files themselves are created in:
    My Documents>Unreal Tournament 3>UTGame>Demos
    and are available to view as soon a you stop recording.

*To share Demos, simply find the specific Demo in you Demos folder and host them as you would any other file on a file hosting site like filefront. People can then simply download them and place them in thier 'Demos' folder and watch them within the game using the method described above.

*You need to have all the mutators used in a Demo to replay it on your system. Its often required that you install the mutators used in the Demo 'manualy'. For instanceif you have uptodate UTComp installed via autodownload forom redirect and record a match, when you go to replay the demo, it will say 'UTComp verXX not found - download already attempted'. You will have to manualy download and install the version required. I don't know if this is the same for all mutators, but it is for UTComp and thats the most important one reegarding Demos.

*There are Clientside demos (recorded by players), these will only record the FOV of the the person recording and there are Serverside demos (Recorded by server admins), these record everything that happens in the game, so can be viewed from any players FOV .
    For information on how to setup Serverside recording, including auto-recording and hosting see these two threads:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=620807
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=599815

If people are into the idea, start posting some demos up here (with some info like gametype, map, players etc..) until a proper archive site appears.
    I'll try to record a few matches and post up to get things rolling.
    Crayfish.

Aren't the demos still buggy?
    I made a demo and my player looked towards the opposite side while shooting Shock Cores.
    (The cores came out of his back, instead out of the Shock Rifle).
    Looked very stupid.

Greets

Comment

****, I hope they'll continue to tweak them, does that affect you even if ur watching in 'behindview'?.
      In other news someone just posted an enormous horde here:
      http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=663844

Comment

Does this mean we can go online play a match and record it?
        Or is it just for off line games

Comment

is there any way i can spectate other players in demos? In offline recorded demos you can spectate the bots with a mouseclick, but in online recorded ones i just can't... i can't even toggle free camera (usually with right click)
          anyone has a solution?

Comment

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
            is there any way i can spectate other players in demos?
            There is client side demos and server side demos. Server side is one that you can spectate everything. It would be awesome if server admins took few demos on every week at certain day/time and place them somewhere downloadable. Advertising that could bring more players to that server at the time.

Comment

the demo recprding is still not right,1st person its as though you are viewing from a shoulder cam.
              no x hair
              shots come from different directions depending on weapon used

when you spec and demo you want to see what they see, and do from their perspective in 1st person.

until EPIC fix this the admins job is so much harder than it should be...

que sera, sera

Comment

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                is there any way i can spectate other players in demos? In offline recorded demos you can spectate the bots with a mouseclick, but in online recorded ones i just can't... i can't even toggle free camera (usually with right click)
                anyone has a solution?
                What jiiihaad said.

Server side demos record everything happening in the server, so that's why you are able to switch players, etc.

Client side demos only record your FOV.

Comment

RypelCam offers some improvements and additional features to demos. You can get it on rypelcam.net. For example you can switch into a freecam mode in clientside demos (no switching to other peoples firstperson view though).

Comment

is rypelcam out yet for 2.0?????????

Comment

Originally posted by Crayfish View Post
                      To share Demos, simply find the specific Demo in you Demos folder and host them as you would any other file on a file hosting site like filefront. People can then simply download them and place them in thier 'Demos' folder and watch them within the game using the method described above.
                      Very nice post. There is a possible problem with this. You will need all the mods installed that where running when the demo was recorded. If not, you will get a connection failed message.

Comment

Originally posted by RypeL View Post
                        RypelCam offers some improvements and additional features to demos. You can get it on rypelcam.net. For example you can switch into a freecam mode in clientside demos (no switching to other peoples firstperson view though).
                        Thank you sir! RypelCam has been very important tool few times to me.

About month ago I recorded few client side demos, but I cant watch them now with this new version. It says cam packet missing, is this suitable for previous versions?

Comment

Originally posted by jiiihaad View Post
                          Thank you sir! RypelCam has been very important tool few times to me.

About month ago I recorded few client side demos, but I cant watch them now with this new version. It says cam packet missing, is this suitable for previous versions?
                          Oh ****. I forgot to tell you guys about one thing: When installing RCam you change a line in the UTGame.ini, which makes RCam available to the game. If you have this in the ini when recording a demo, the demo also saves this link to RCam and the version of RCam that you had installed at that time. When you then try to watch the demo with a different RCam version UT3 will you give you that error cause it found a different RCam file then it expected. So i guess everyone who had RCam already installed cant watch their old demos with the new RCam. However im thinking of a new system to avoid this problem from happening and i think i can publish a new release that fixes this in the next days. I will propably do this tomorrow so pls check back on rypelcam.net then and download the updated release to watch you old demos.

Comment

Huzzah for rypel! Keep up the awesome work.

Comment

great work rypel i was wondering y it didnt work on my old demos.

Comment

Working...
                              X