Deployables in DM/TDM maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deployables in DM/TDM maps

Just wondering how these new gameplay pickups will go over in DM/TDM, and if traditional players will give these deployables a chance.

One is an X-ray field and one is an energy field? Don't recall reading many details.

From a strategic point of view, how are these designed to be used?

Errrr. I'd rather they keep those to the vehicle game-types. But I guess I'd be willing to give them a chance.

Comment

Pretty sure they will be useless and I hope most server admins disable
      them... the whole idea is retarded, leave them in the vehicle gametypes.

Comment

I heard the two new ones are in vehicle gametypes, but an old favorite - spidermines - shows up in DM/TDM... I find myself agreeing with ihax, that would be so unbalanced. Spidermines are kind of a cheap kill... useful in defense for strategic games, but when you and a guy are fighting, and he kills you, why should you kill him after because you mnanaged to drop a spidermine? My 2 cents. Cheers!

Comment

I don't think admins can disable them, they are embedded in the map? I think the admins would just have to remove the maps.

I went back and read the new maplist again and two of the new maps have deployables.

Ocean Relic - This level features the slow field powerup, a portable version of the slow field deployable.

Eden, Inc. - This level features the introduction of deployables to deathmatch, with both a spidermine trap and an X-Ray field deployable available.

I don't understand exactly how the x-ray field works from the description.

Comment

Slow Field power up =/= slow field deployable, I don't that map would be removed by admins unless they were the type that's remove fearless due to the invincibility power up.

Eden, is a bit different, the spider mine deployable shouldn't be in a DM/TDM map, period. The X-Ray field sounds interesting (does damage while you're in it and weapons do extra damage to you while you're in it). It'd be perfect for snipers to put at a choke point, but either way, I don't think Eden will stay in many map lists for very long due to the spider mines.

Comment

"DM-Ocean Relic, meanwhile, features the portable Slow Field power-up, for the first time. Immune to hit-scan weapons, players must utilise secondary fire modes to kill the wearer, or, suicidally, enter the field where time flows at full speed for the possessor. All projectiles entering the field are slowed, giving the wearer a huge advantage in standard deathmatch modes."
              "DM-Eden, Inc., a hydroponic research facility, is, according to Polge, a "nod to BioShock." Along with the new art, it introduces the deployable Spider Mine trap, and the deployable X-Ray Field, a new Unreal item that inflicts minor damage in its radiated area of effect, but also amplifies damage received from standard weaponry. In addition, a black-and-white graphic filter amusingly shows the bone structure of those who enter the Field."

-Andrew Burnes article
              http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/View....Detail&id=122

Trippy huh? I thought slowfield was like the green squares you drop.

Comment

We have turret in DM-Deimos and Darkwalker in DM-HeatRay, I don't say I like the vehicles but these maps are very good anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                  the spider mine deployable shouldn't be in a DM/TDM map, period.
                  Why not? Because it's "n00bish"? Doesn't the best player always win anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                    Yes actually, it is noobish. Yet again they dumb down the game so it is more ******-friendly and in the case of the slow-field **** removes hitscan so you're forced to simply spam projectiles. Also the spidermines - clearly meant so retards can get kills.

Obviously the better players will still win, but they are guaranteed to die more often to players that probably don't know how to play - a sad noob game much like CoD4.

Apparently there is no room left for a game that requires skill anymore... "must be ****** friendly to appeal to masses"

Comment

ay dont diss my spiders... and anyway noobs lay spiders in useless places

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx View Post
                        ay dont diss my spiders... and anyway noobs lay spiders in useless places
                        Like in DM maps

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                          Well if we go by your logic a strategy should be fun for everyone involved, Spidermines do 95 damage, so more often than not the person that layed them wont get the kill (therefore it won't be very fun for him) and the person that got hit by them will be an easy kill for someone else (therefore it won't be very fun for him). By your very own logic, the spidermine shouldn't exist in DM because it's not "fun".

I personally think they have no place in DM because they're meant for strategic usage as sentinels (i.e. protecting a flag, guarding a orb running/flag route, holding choke points). They just can't serve that purpose in a DM match where all they can be used for is easy kills and to annoy other players, so I think they have no place in DM.

Comment

well they are only in one map so i dont see the problem. maybe this map will put them in a good spot so that they arn't unfair.

Comment

Anyone please tell me in which map there are spider mines and where they are because I want to see and test them. I have seen maybe twice when I was exploring some War maps back then.

EDIT: Is there a way to destroy the mines if you see them.

Comment

Working...
                              X