No announcement yet.

Epic people! Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I could look it up but Im pretty sure you'd be wrong. Any current UT2004'ers here to confirm this?

Comment

A direct hit was always all it took to destroy xloc disc, in UT and UT2004. The actual damage required might have been higher, though, preventing a single flak shard from destroying it (like it does now.) However, a single shock core (~45 dmg in UT GOTY, I think) has always destroyed it... the disc has never taken multiple shots to destroy.

Then again, small shards hitting my disc is fairly rare and largely avoidable. Also, the recharge isn't so long that it prevents good players from using it as they always have. So I really don't see what the big deal is.

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
      I remember because I had my trans shot a lot on maps like Citadel and Maul by Elix
      On Maul in one of the UT2004 noescape frag videos, one of the NE guys (ra I think) shoots a xloc disc with lg midair right before the opponent translocates. Amazing kill.

Comment

The ol' trans discs took 65 or so damage. Not enough to survive a single rocket, combo or lightning bolt.

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
        you're bemoaning the uses of the translocator actually relevant to CTF in favor of using it for camping & map exploitation.
        Here we go again. I am aware that it is primarily used as a catch-up device, but that mechanic can be made obsolete with good map design.

Feel free to dismiss that as clueless too and turn this into an utterly pointless conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
          The ol' trans discs took 65 or so damage. Not enough to survive a single rocket, combo or lightning bolt.
          Huh, I thought shock cores killed it too. Did they do more than 45 dmg in GOTY, or am I wrong?

Here we go again. I am aware that it is primarily used as a catch-up device, but that mechanic can be made obsolete with good map design.

Feel free to dismiss that as clueless too and turn this into an utterly pointless conversation.
          Uhmm, what? Most of the series' best maps work great with translocator, many are even designed around its use.

I'm the one who's clueless, because I really have no idea where your logic is coming from. I think this conversation was pointless a long time ago.

Comment

ut3 translocator disc has only 2hp. basically everything kills it, wich makes the ctf game so **** random. its silly, even if some wannabe ctf player denies it, who actually never played a proper 5on5 game just random pubgames with random noobs and bots. in ut99/ut2003/ut2004 u needed a direct sniper shot to destroy it.

ut is a good example. still almost 60signups in clanbase. public servers being at full capacity 24/7. what about ut3? close to zero. 2-3players playing with 7-8 bots on servers. u can see it with your own eyes, just open the server browser.

i saw ut ctf players talking about ut3 many times. they never said the game is bad, they always said that the TL is bad. and tl=ctf for most of the player, and if tl sucks, why would they play it?

easy to say adapt or dont play, becouse thats exactly what happens. no one plays ut3 ctf online, and it has a good reason why. ut3 ctf has a big potential, but not like this...

Comment

How about someone mods a translocator the way they want it? Hmmm? Answer me that?

There's a fully functional Bombing Run mod. There's a fully functional Domination mod, including DDom and VDom. Both mods probably took hundreds of man-hours to create.

ONS 2.0 is in the works. There's a dodge jump mutator. There's an instagib rifle that works better than the stock one.

Seems like every community except Assault and CTF have fixed things the way they want. Assault has a pretty good excuse, because it would take hundreds of man hours to create. How long do you think it would take to mod the TL to have more health?

Comment

I played UT99 for a good year or so and I've played CTF in UT2k4 for years. I don't claim to be amazing, but if you've ever played on Flag Junkies Crib (or, if you remember this far back) Ground Zero Arcade, you've probably seen me. Unfortunately the CTF scene is slowly dying in UT2k4... I've noticed a significant decline in the number of servers and players over the last year or so. But, the fact that it's lasted this long, a full 4 years after the game's release, is almost unprecedented. How many other games are still around and still have dedicated online players after 4 years?

As far as the translocator issue... I don't understand how anyone can feel so strongly about only giving it 2 health... We're talking about one piece of flak... one stinger bullet.... to stop it. That encourages mindless spamming. ...and I'm not one of those players that thinks LG and Shock are the only way to go (well, in UT2k4 anyway). I think there is a time and place for every weapon and I use them all. While rockets and flak are "spam" weapons, there is a huge difference between leading your shots intentionally, and just shooting it out there and hoping. I'm talking about the latter. Could you lead your shots and try to hit the translocator without being a mindless spammer? Yes. Should a single piece of flak instantly kill it? No. The point is, it takes skill out of the equation and makes it so that any player, no matter how noobish or how "leet" has generally the same chance of shooting down the trans with flak or stinger bullets.

Knowing how weak it is, I wouldn't be surprised if people exploited this and constantly rained down stinger fire on translocators, but this behavior takes away from the fun of the game rather than adding to it, in much the same way that it ruins CTF when players run around getting in random deathmatch battles while ignoring the status of their flags and flag carriers.

I don't think we should up the health to some rediculous number, but in UT2k4 I remember guys would literally shoot my translocator out of the air with the lightning gun, and if you're good enough to do that, you deserve to get the kill.

Upping the health to make the translocator more durable than a paper plate isn't all that unreasonable of a request. As long as it's low enough that a single sniper shot can take it out, it's not too high for me.

I'm not calling anyone noobs here, but there are those of us that have played for a long long time, that love the game, and are what another user called casually competitive. We're skilled and we know the game inside and out, but we play casually - for fun. I'd say that for these players (and there are a lot remaining!) a translocator with 2 health, or the notion of not using a translocator at all, would both be preposterous changes to the UT "norm".

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                  How about someone mods a translocator the way they want it? Hmmm? Answer me that?

There's a fully functional Bombing Run mod. There's a fully functional Domination mod, including DDom and VDom. Both mods probably took hundreds of man-hours to create.

ONS 2.0 is in the works. There's a dodge jump mutator. There's an instagib rifle that works better than the stock one.

Seems like every community except Assault and CTF have fixed things the way they want. Assault has a pretty good excuse, because it would take hundreds of man hours to create. How long do you think it would take to mod the TL to have more health?
                  we tried it, it worked offline, but didnt worked online... also its such a small thing that it would be like a 2seconds work for epic, if they would actually care/ listen to players...

we will try it again after they released the final version of patch 2.0.

Comment

If you need help getting it to work, you should post in the forums about your problem. There are people here who would help you.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                      How long do you think it would take to mod the TL to have more health?
                      5 minutes for copy/pasting and editing the mutator code, 5 to verify that it works, 10 to verify that it works online, 10 for writing a decent readme, 5 for packaging and uploading, 5 for posting about it.

Comment

I made a mutator that increases the health from 2 to 65 (same as in other UT games) and removes the disc limit, release thread can be found here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=664014.

Comment

Working...
                        X