Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think UT3 is ugly

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why do people think UT3 is ugly

    I just cant work out why people keep saying the game is dissapointing graphically however would be nice to get those high poly characters in game

    this is a bit of a nothing thread but i was bored and woundered what other people thought of the visuals :P

    cant wait for titan pack on the 5th of march






    #2
    The graphics are good as is, it's getting it to look good and play good at the same time that makes games successful, and gameplay as well obviously. Performance and getting more frames per second are more important to me than some high poly character in game.

    Comment


      #3
      Part of the concern is the grungy look.
      Part of it is the way the game slaughters the skin texture resolution for the in-game models.

      That's what I've heard around, there may be other reasons people have.

      Comment


        #4
        Some of the levels are absolutely hideous for no other reason than lack of color or even texture-- they are simply brown through and through. Isometric (custom CTF map) is a perfect example of this.

        Color balance goes into level design, that map is lacking in it.

        Comment


          #5
          well in terms of engine performance id say UE3 is way up there as one of the best. no matter the game if it runs on UE3 you know it will run well on almost any thing. i think the issue is more the developers art style as shadow dancer said. this is probably just speculation but i have a feeling the game could've been so much better if it was pc exclusive (gameplay still is awesome tho just feels a little dumbed down) (also i thought UE 3 supports HDR shame its not implemented in many UE3 games

          Comment


            #6
            also any one remember this pre release image, showed against in game model of previous gens and then it didnt look anything like it thought it was kinda deceptive :P

            http://www.skins.abtec.org/wp-conten...comparison.jpg

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by innocenceislife View Post
              I just cant work out why people keep saying the game is dissapointing graphically however would be nice to get those high poly characters in game

              this is a bit of a nothing thread but i was bored and woundered what other people thought of the visuals :P

              cant wait for titan pack on the 5th of march





              Your mom is ugly.

              Comment


                #8
                lol i took those screen im trying to say i dont think its ugly but it could've been better maybe if it was pc exclusive (FEAR2 is a good example) its still a very pretty game just maybe the UE3 is capable of so much more remember the first tech demo they showed where the lights were all dynamic casting dynamic soft shadows ? what happened to that in the game ? its just the little things which people were getting excited for then it never came we were expecting a graphics powerhouse and instead we got the ruins of the console raping our beloved pc franchises (can you tell im bored :P let the flame wars begin)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Weird, those models are obscenely high poly. Even with enablehighpolychars=true in my INI, they don't look like that. In UT2004 there was a tessellation factor variable under the D3D settings in the INI which basically accomplished the same thing (by subdividing the polygons to make characters high poly again) - at a significant cost in GPU power.

                  Unfortunately, UT3 does not seem to have this - unless it is hidden in the code somewhere?
                  /cue Mr Evil

                  Comment


                    #10
                    ugly? WE like ut3. JOIN US AT --> #ut3pugs and #ut3ctf @ irc.gameradius.org

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Rancur3p1c View Post
                      Some of the levels are absolutely hideous for no other reason than lack of color or even texture-- they are simply brown through and through. Isometric (custom CTF map) is a perfect example of this.

                      Color balance goes into level design, that map is lacking in it.
                      So they're judging the game based on poor custom maps?!?!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by innocenceislife View Post
                        also any one remember this pre release image, showed against in game model of previous gens and then it didnt look anything like it thought it was kinda deceptive :P

                        http://www.skins.abtec.org/wp-conten...comparison.jpg
                        I said that at the time when the game came out, I actually thought it was a bit of false advertising. There was so much hype showing screenshots that weren't attainable in-game (in a playable fashion). That used to be more prevalent years ago but now in-engine stuff usually looks pretty good so people are more expecting "what you see is what you get".

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                          Weird, those models are obscenely high poly. Even with enablehighpolychars=true in my INI, they don't look like that. In UT2004 there was a tessellation factor variable under the D3D settings in the INI which basically accomplished the same thing (by subdividing the polygons to make characters high poly again) - at a significant cost in GPU power.

                          Unfortunately, UT3 does not seem to have this - unless it is hidden in the code somewhere?
                          /cue Mr Evil
                          ive never seen anything about tesselation in UT3 ini's, the screens are taken on max with 16XAA on a gtx260 so it was still playable i mean it looks good but the character creation ones look amazing why not just allow them to be used in game as ultra high or something (i think the image only looks that good because its tiled shot downsized back to my monitors native)

                          i wounder if it was originally going to be pc only then they decided to cross platform it cos the early ingame demos look amazing (the one with malcom in it leading an assault on some building then someone jumps thru a windows as it explodes or somthing) and the art style looked like it changed aswell after the release of GOW,

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Maybe its all the garbage on the floor. And what is with the ramps with great big gaps in them wide enough to drop a cow through.

                            Also if you look at some of the maps on 2004. Like the one that was kind of like a art gallery. And how varied the maps where. Sure you can hand pick some snap shots but for the most part I see a lot of Gray and stuff all over the floor.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              i think a big clue to the console limitations leaking through into the pc version is the textures some are insanly low res and in any map with 31 bots in it the tex mem is never usally over 800mb (according to stat memory only around 250-300 is used by textures)
                              additionally there is no reason for this in a pc

                              game the gun looks fantastic but WTF! is up with that mask (console texture limit much ?) also the section in the ini about textures if you change it you get instant crashing but the textures look hires 2048xXXXX in the editor so why does the game limit it ?


                              oh also ive cooked a few maps and the lighting is all dynamic with shadows ect but as soon as its in game there are no dynamic shadows ? another console limitation prehaps ? remember the early trailers it showed the power cores emitting shadows on the walls then retail they were gone

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X