communication groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

communication groups

After playing a lot of L4D recently, where mic communication is absolutely vital. You basically chat all the time - it's the best way to stay alive. Then I return to UT3 where players, in general, hate it when you mic chat!

Once you get to 16 players a team, you're going to have a good 50-50 split of people who like chat and people who dont.

So what could work would be getting players to be able to join sub-groups within the team, where you can then communicate within that team.

The players that hate chat would be happy. But the real benefit would kick in when players start coordinating actions within their groups. It would also be very useful in order to be able to give tips and advice to newbies- where you can take players under your wing.

Teamspeak is all well and good, but for pubs it'll never work. And I think the idea of informally splitting your team into subgroups could bring a lot of the strategy back into warfare.

Never heard someone ever used microphone in UT3.

Comment

Or, anyone who wants to share their valuable advice can key their mike and squawk away.

And anyone who doesn't want to hear it, like me for example, can check Mute Voice.

But voice mike never worked right for a lot of people anyhow. They didn't fix it, did they?

Comment

We used to use it all the time in ut2004 warfare. It was hit and miss initially in UT3 but when using steam, it seems to work fine.....

So get your mics out everybody..... It really helps.

Comment

Yeah I remember it being used once in a while in UT2k4. It certainly can be useful, potentially.

In practice though, I found that as often as not the usage consisted of people wailing into the mike like inebriated five year olds, holding the mike up to a twenty dollar boom box playing heavily distorted and annoying pop music, or cursing everybody on their team for being terrible, incompetent players who are totally, totally at fault for losing the match because they won't listen to him and do exactly what he says at all times.

Hard to believe I know. But yes it certainly was useful once in a while.

Comment

That's why instead of having a full team chat as the only option, having the option of a team splitting into chat groups, and geting that group to work in concert via mic chatting could add a new, and better dynamic.

Comment

That may well be. Well I certainly wouldn't ask Epic not to do anything that might attract others to the game.

**** I might actually have to try this steam nonsense one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ne_skaju View Post
                Never heard someone ever used microphone in UT3.
                Once a dude - or should I call him a freak?! - was singing while playing UT3. It was not bad. But why was he singing? lol nice situation though.

Comment

Team based games benefit from voice communication. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Funeral_Dancer View Post
                    Team based games benefit from voice communication. Period.
                    should of said, Exclamation point!

Comment

Originally posted by Fliperaci View Post
                      Once a dude - or should I call him a freak?! - was singing while playing UT3. It was not bad. But why was he singing? lol nice situation though.
                      [offtopic]roflmaotsedong Did you see was he doing some dance moves in game at same time? When I was in army, higher officers tell about war and how soldiers behave there, many paniced and some start singing or something easy and familiar to-do thing. Few people experience immortality berserk and think bullets wont hit them, thats why some guys probably jump right in front of tank..
                      [/offtopic]

But yes, it is very rare to hear someone to speak. I dont have mic, but if understand correctly there is working(?) voice system in UT3, and very rarely someone says "orb" or "tank coming". Few more ppl use key bindings like "repair" or "orb taxi ready". In(or On?!, engrish..) vCTF may be more useful because action is mostly in around flag.

Comment

Originally posted by jiiihaad View Post
                        But yes, it is very rare to hear someone to speak. I dont have mic, but if understand correctly there is working(?) voice system in UT3, and very rarely someone says «orb» or «tank coming»…
                        Alerting someone about tank etc often dont help, usually because you cannot react to this information, where: tank is located etc, unless you play with friend, you know he talking to you.

Comment

Thay should fix the voice thing just to alow people an in game alternative to vent and all other sorts of anoying programs GSC is one thats giveng me hell right now.

Comment

Love mics, but yeah, there's some freaks and sometimes you can't tell which player is being a pekker. Maybe the name goes highlighted? You should be able to tell who is speaking. Then you can kick the people who abuse it. Did you say mics work in steam? Do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ne_skaju View Post
                              Alerting someone about tank etc often dont help, usually because you cannot react to this information, where: tank is located etc, unless you play with friend, you know he talking to you.
                              True, there is no time. Anyway I was thinking about Downtown when tank is coming to node(usually middle) and guys fire avrils when tank isnt even in sigt, and when it comes, someone aims at tank and all rockets go to tank(when 1 guy leads rockets there). Yes I know, this is just perfect and rare situation and normal match isnt like that. But still team play is key to victory and it owns other team, even if they are good but move alone. btw, did you know you can shoot Hellfire with avril when you aim that hellfire camera what is in sky?

Still without chatting, experienced player see what is happening, leave jumpboots and health to orb carrier and just follow him and do what situation require.

Comment

Working...
                              X