Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam, DRM and stuff like that

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Steam, DRM and stuff like that

    Hey guys,

    before I buy UT3 I have a few questions about it.

    1. Will I have to use Steam or something like that to play UT3?
    2. Has UT3 DRM measures excepting product key, e.g. securom?
    3. Will I have to connect the PC to the internet to play or install UT3?
    4. Is the community active enought to play from time to time a few rounds dm or tdm as a quite bad player?


    ~emptytanka

    #2
    Hey Emptytanka,

    1 -> I don'd know
    2 -> No securom, only key.
    3 -> No, you can play offline.
    4 -> Thera are enough servers that are full

    Comment


      #3
      1. Optional, but recommended for it's community features.
      2. None, only key
      3. a. Steam version : Internet required to install. After that you can start steam in offline mode to play without connection.
      b. Retail version : No internet connection required. Recommend patching the game to at least 1.3 or your campaign progress won't save without creating an online profile via gamespy(which is required for online play + it stores your graphics and control settings online).

      4. Highly dependant on your location and how good the servers are set up. Check out http://www.gametracker.com/search/ut...rank&order=asc
      You can see which is the most popular UT3 servers plus you can click on them to see there history and how active they are. The population is currently growing larger though. Our 3rd world country server that's been basically been dead all year long has seen 4-12 players playing at the same time throughout the entire night for the past 10 days. So yes the community is active enough.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
        1. Optional, but recommended for it's community features.
        Which community features?

        Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
        3.b. Retail version : No internet connection required. Recommend patching the game to at least 1.3 or your campaign progress won't save without creating an online profile via gamespy(which is required for online play + it stores your graphics and control settings online).
        OK gamespy is really annoying but I think i can acquiesce to that.
        Will I need to download patch 1.3 or higher, and get it with usb-memorystick or somethink like that to the pc, if i want to play ut3 on a pc without internet connection? And than LAN games will work?

        Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
        4. Highly dependant on your location and how good the servers are set up. Check out http://www.gametracker.com/search/ut...rank&order=asc
        You can see which is the most popular UT3 servers plus you can click on them to see there history and how active they are. The population is currently growing larger though. Our 3rd world country server that's been basically been dead all year long has seen 4-12 players playing at the same time throughout the entire night for the past 10 days. So yes the community is active enough.
        I checked the link and at 15:55 CET there were less than 200 players online. Thats nearly dead imho.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by emptytanka View Post
          Hey guys,

          before I buy UT3 I have a few questions about it.

          1. Will I have to use Steam or something like that to play UT3?
          2. Has UT3 DRM measures excepting product key, e.g. securom?
          3. Will I have to connect the PC to the internet to play or install UT3?
          4. Is the community active enought to play from time to time a few rounds dm or tdm as a quite bad player?


          ~emptytanka
          1. You will be restricted to the DRM inherent to Steam. With the retail copy, there is no DRM at all.

          2. UT3 does not have DRM, other than CD key checks. With the Steam version, then you get Steam DRM as well.

          3. With Steam, you will need to be online to download and install it. Afterward, Steam does have an offline mode. But if you try to use offline mode for more than 30 days in a row, it won't work.

          4. Not sure. I guess so.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
            1. Optional, but recommended for it's community features.
            Originally posted by emptytanka View Post
            Which community features?
            AFIK, there is no difference for the steam/retail 1.3 versions of UT3.

            For the upcoming patch, the steam users will have achievements, but the retail won't.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by 1337_Sniper View Post
              AFIK, there is no difference for the steam/retail 1.3 versions of UT3.

              For the upcoming patch, the steam users will have achievements, but the retail won't.
              Are there more precisely information about that punishment. That sounds like a reason for not buying that game.

              Comment


                #8
                The achievements are worthless. They don't change the game in any way. There's a list of things to achieve (like finding all the powerups in a map) and once you do them, it will be listed as completed. Completely worthless. These achievements also work without Steam (based on my experience with the beta patch).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
                  The achievements are worthless. They don't change the game in any way. There's a list of things to achieve (like finding all the powerups in a map) and once you do them, it will be listed as completed. Completely worthless. These achievements also work without Steam (based on my experience with the beta patch).
                  If thay still work maybe its the shareing of achevements thats steam only and only on steam servers.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    OK recapitulation:

                    - There is no really need for the steam ****
                    - DRM free excepting CD-Key
                    - Just a very small community
                    - Gamespy needed for internet games
                    - Need patch 1.3 for playing singleplayer or LAN games without creating a gamespy id (right or did i misunderstood HideInLight?)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Achievements are in the game itself (Awards), they don't need Steam.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by emptytanka View Post
                        - Need patch 1.3 for playing singleplayer or LAN games without creating a gamespy id (right or did i misunderstood HideInLight?)
                        What's about this?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by 1337_Sniper View Post
                          AFIK, there is no difference for the steam/retail 1.3 versions of UT3.

                          For the upcoming patch, the steam users will have achievements, but the retail won't.
                          I think both will have awards, the steam version will just make it visible to the public.
                          Community features, here's out little group as an example.
                          http://steamcommunity.com/groups/UnrealZA
                          With the steam version you can access all of these features and keep in touch with peeps while ingame. The best part of all is you get a lot of players playing UT3 that also plays populat games like Left4dead, TF2, and Cstrike etc. That means the group is always active in some way and makes contacting UT3 player a lot easier.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I will not use Steam but the one question which is stil not clearly answert is:
                            "Can I play UT3 singleplayer or LAN-games on a PC wich will never be connected to the internet?"

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by emptytanka View Post
                              I will not use Steam but the one question which is stil not clearly answert is:
                              "Can I play UT3 singleplayer or LAN-games on a PC wich will never be connected to the internet?"
                              Yup
                              threeletters

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X