This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplayer Cheating

I have been playing UT3 online for some time now and have noticed that several players consistently hit 2x to 3x or more the average score on the server. This has led to a lot of chatter on the server about particular players cheating with mod's / hack's etc.

What is Epic doing to prevent players from cheating in online games? Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to detect if a player has modified or hacked their install when they log into the server.?.?

Removing cheaters not only makes the game more enjoyable for everyone but also removes suspicion from those players that really are quite good and are being falsely accused.

If the issue of cheating isn't aggressively addressed it turns people off and they leave the community. Not too good for business.

C.

X-ray is the solution.
    http://www.xraygaming.com/index.php?...iqueid-mutator

Comment

Cheating is something that is addressed by the community and specifically server admins. If you suspect someone is cheating, then spectate him and record it. Forward your damning evidence to the server admin, and they will ban him. If you don't know what to look for, then just ask the server admin to look into it.

More often than not, regulars who do really well are just very good players. Some of us have been playing UT3 for over a year now, and the UT series for a decade.

Comment

Unfortunatly most servers are adminless. Servers can lose bans, on crashes and restarts. On the Epic EU servers cheaters get banned if we catch them or someone reports them and we can have a look.

As there is no anti-cheat for the game it makes our jobs as server admins harder, but we do what we can.

Comment

Most servers are also unpopulated. The most popular servers tend to have attentive admins.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I'd like to go back to my original question, which is what is Epic doing to prevent cheats and hacks from getting into the Multiplayer games? Are there any plans to include Anti-Cheating safeguards in future releases of the game?

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Client_No.9 View Post
              I have been playing UT3 online for some time now and have noticed that several players consistently hit 2x to 3x or more the average score on the server.
              Not really a sign of cheating...

Comment

Originally posted by ~{ISC}~Jigen View Post
                This isn't really an anti-cheat. All it does is log the IP and GUID of the players joining the server. They do have XAC, but this is more for events and tournaments. The clients need this external program installed for it to work.

Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rd View Post
                As there is no anti-cheat for the game it makes our jobs as server admins harder, but we do what we can.
                +1 Amen.

Pretty much the only thing admins can do is spec them to check for signs of cheating. This isn't 100% fool proof either.

I'm just hoping that some form of cheat detection/prevention is implemented in the new patch.

Just because someone scores really high on a match doesn't mean they are cheating. There are other tell-tale signs that they are cheating, though.

Don't be surprised if this thread gets locked.

Comment

What about 25 kills and zero deaths? It's possible, but c'mon...

Comment

Agreed, just because someone consistently scores well in TDM matches does not mean that they are cheating. In fact I hate to see someone who is really good get called a cheat when they just happen to have mad skillz. I think that a lot of people get suspicious though when the average score is say a consistent 30-40 for people who play often and one player is pegging 80 or 90 every time. It just doesn't look feasible.

I think that Epic can put this whole issue to rest by including a patch in the next release that checks a user's installation to ensure that it hasn't been corrupted by hacks before allowing them to join an official UT3 multiplayer server.

Thx to everyone for the replies.

- C.

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/announcement.php?f=14&a=1

Please see the rules regarding cheat discussions.

Ga-Reef: I occasionally get beat up in duel 30 to 0. That would mean the other person has zero deaths.

Comment

Working...
                      X