Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is no-one on the custom map servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well there's no changing those who like repetition but what about an automatic updates type of thing for each server. The simpler it is for the person playing, the more likely they'll go for it - some people don't actually know how to do much on a pc, they just play the games.
    you could have it so when you connect to the server, it gives you the option of clicking for automatic updates and then it sends you the maps/mods whenever you're logged on to the net -and installs them where they need to go.
    is it possible to do that without trying to get epic involved?

Comment

The filesize/download time is really only a minor obstacle, as I see it. The dFb VCTF server does just fine on mostly custom maps. If a custom map becomes regularly played (which requires that people like it), the people that go to the server will eventually get the map. The problem comes when people feel they are downloading something worthless that they'll never use/play again.

I've stopped going to those 'custom map parties' because it's simply not worth it. I don't want to download a huge map pack to play a couple custom maps that no one will play the day after.

Comment

One of the main problems is the default cache size, it's set to 300mb, that's about 6 maps average, after that they will expire and need to be downloaded again. Here's a link on how to fix this annoyance : Link

Also get CacheConverter and run it periodically.

Comment

cache converter is cool and works great. I agree with the ruining of great maps with a good or crappy song played over and over and over and over and over and over and over......

Comment

I think the reason are several including;
            -> slow downloads on large maps
            -> small default cache only holds a couple maps so you download custom ones over and over again
            -> a significant portion of the players do not know how to download and install the zip or rar files with maps
            -> fear of getting owned on an unfamiliar map -> I think many players may want to learn the map offline before they play online

I think part of the solution would be automatic updates of new maps and other content. This eliminates the slow redirect issue as the maps were installed already.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
              I think the reason are several including;
              -> slow downloads on large maps
              -> small default cache only holds a couple maps so you download custom ones over and over again
              -> a significant portion of the players do not know how to download and install the zip or rar files with maps
              -> fear of getting owned on an unfamiliar map -> I think many players may want to learn the map offline before they play online
              All these are very true. But the custom maps are what makes the UT universe so awesome. Hedsteem also has quite a good following with all their custom maps, vehicles and weapons.

We do have both a VCTF and VTDM server and perhaps may have a custom vehicle/maps/weapons Warfare server in the future.

Comment

I've been meaning to check out the Hedsteem servers, they sound cool. Hell, if the vctf community has more life to it than Warfare maybe I'll make the jump... Mapping for the US WAR community is proving to be a waste of time since the 50 people playing WAR in the US dont appreciate the work put in to custom content. By that I dont mean my friends from UGL teams or friends from across the pond

The way I see it is that VCTF stayed pretty much the same from 2k4 to UT3 where 2k4 ONS was turned into UT3 WAR which many ONS players didnt like so WAR is somewhat starting from scratch as far as building a player base. Without interest in community content I see warfare as a dead gametype unless the WAR maps in the titan pack rock but that still leaves the fact that custom content is not appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasted Time View Post
                  cache converter is cool and works great. I agree with the ruining of great maps with a good or crappy song played over and over and over and over and over and over and over......
                  I turn the music off - that way you can hear vehicles creeping up behind you better (though it doesn't always help)

Comment

It's because by the time a custom map is loaded, the round is more or less over, people leave the server and the server becomes dead.

Due to the size of the maps, there has to be an alternative method - Steam is likely to be the simple answer.

If all MUSC standard maps got put together in a STEAM package, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanch3z View Post
                      I've been meaning to check out the Hedsteem servers, they sound cool. Hell, if the vctf community has more life to it than Warfare maybe I'll make the jump... Mapping for the US WAR community is proving to be a waste of time since the 50 people playing WAR in the US dont appreciate the work put in to custom content. By that I dont mean my friends from UGL teams or friends from across the pond

The way I see it is that VCTF stayed pretty much the same from 2k4 to UT3 where 2k4 ONS was turned into UT3 WAR which many ONS players didnt like so WAR is somewhat starting from scratch as far as building a player base. Without interest in community content I see warfare as a dead gametype unless the WAR maps in the titan pack rock but that still leaves the fact that custom content is not appreciated.
                      Not really all the vehicle and movement changes that affected ONS/War also affected vCTF and on top of that Manta wing riding is gone and you can no longer carry the flag in vehicles which was a big part of vCTF. The vCTF community just seemed to adapt better and complain less than the ONS community even though UT3 vCTF bears little semblance to UT2k4 vCTF.

Comment

more so what I meant is the addition of the orb and the side objectives to ONS which made it WAR..

The ability to carry flags in vehicles would be something that would be easy to make a mutator for, maybe there is one already? Yep, I do miss the manta ride ability which is something I dont think is possible to code..

Comment

The vCTF community is great in that Epic gave us 6 maps to begin with : one that is never voted for (Containment), one with a fog exploit (Sandstorm), one with camping vehicles and countless glitches (Suspense), one with a design that prohibited the capping of flags and a Necris side that overpowers the Axon and more countless glitches (Corruption), one with an overpowered Goliath in the middle (Kargo), and a single perfect map (Necropolis). We were given these, but instead of completely falling apart like CTF, the community made awesome custom maps that kept the gametype alive.

That is why, I think, custom maps are so crucial.

Comment

Working...
                          X