Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My experience with UT3 on PC and XBox 360...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by tidu View Post
    I hope the game picks up speed soon. Ut2k4 was niche, but not THIS niche. I think Epic needs to come out with an expansion pack and make it an optional bundle it with the original game and get a ton of good PR people out there. Solo expansion packs are released for good games that sold well. If people hear of a Ut3 expansion now they'll just think, well I don't have the original and haven't heard great things... It's a shame because the modding community for Unreal is one of the best. And when modders have no audience, they're likely to move on.
    The best hope is that it turns out like 2k3 -> 2k4. Fix things that need fixing and add game modes

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Garry View Post
    brbl8ter: He's pretty much right.
    No, he is not.

The vast majority of the 2k4 community wanted to see UT3 do well. We where all excited when the beta demo came out, but all our hopes where crushed when the game came out a short time later still in beta demo form. Many of us 2k4ers preferred 2k4 over UT3 because, quite frankly, it was a better game because it worked right, not because we wanted UT3 to fail.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I hope the game picks up speed soon. Ut2k4 was niche, but not THIS niche. I think Epic needs to come out with an expansion pack and make it an optional bundle it with the original game and get a ton of good PR people out there. Solo expansion packs are released for good games that sold well. If people hear of a Ut3 expansion now they'll just think, well I don't have the original and haven't heard great things... It's a shame because the modding community for Unreal is one of the best. And when modders have no audience, they're likely to move on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    brbl8ter: He's pretty much right.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    On top of it all, lots of extremely negative word-of-mouth by 2k4 fans who didn't care for the visual and gameplay changes and wanted to see the game fail. The idea being that Epic would have to make the next title like 2k4, or stop the series entirely, allowing the 2k4 fans to claim "victory" for their side of the community.
    You're an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    HIDEINLIGHT, i apologize for laughing but the story about getting glue in your eyes almost made me pee myself. Now that some time has passed, even you must find that funny. Also, I think people underestimate the system requirements barrier..... when the game was released, most peoples pc's couldn't run it. This left massive numbers of 2k4 players shut out, and bitter and angry. It also reduced the amount of people who could play it by leaps and bounds. I bought a new pc, but not everyone can do that. (I have my own funny story about gashing my finger while installing my video card, and getting blood all over the inside of the case, but I digress...)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, lot's of good background info here. Sound like Epic needs an Unreal Tournament 2009 and to leave the year in the title so something like UT3 doesn't sound like an older game. Just take the UT2004 and merge it into the new title with all of the updated graphics...and don't leave ANYTHING out.

I definitely hope they will put more game setting options back in...UT3 sorely lacked some key options that I liked in UT2004. While I do like these games, the ability to turn off the mature language would be nice...my preference, so don't flame me for it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ya there def wasnt enough advertisement for ut3 when it came out,look how much advertisement gow2 got(a **** load).when the expansion comes out for ut3 they need to advertise it to show people that its coming out and there will be major improvements for the game and all the new things it is going to have vehicles,maps,gametypes,extended and better campaign etc.

ps:they should advertise on channels like g4,spike etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    People also associated it with Crysis, so it had the same roadblock of "I'm gonig to need to spend $800 on a whole new machine to play that, aren't I?" that hit Crysis so hard; only, UT3 has much lower sys reqs than Crysis...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh yeah don't forget that the standard edition of the game was overpriced relative to the other AAA titles available at the same time. Was only 5$ less than the collectors edition which was an extremely stupid thing to do.
    People could simply not afford to buy UT3. I luckily saved up for two games at that time...

PS. to Midway/EPIC concerning the collectors edition. Never, ever use tin again. In a warm climate the glue holding the plastic disc holder thing starts flowing. This ends up on the dvd itself. I found this out the hardway when I took it out of the dvd drive to see why it wasn't working anymore. Some of the glue dripped into my eyes and it was red for about two days. Plus I had to spend a few hours trying to get the glue off the disc.
    Note it was above 30 degrees celcius on that day.
    End rant.

Anyways that's in the past now, the game is on special and it's well worth it.
    Not many online, but there's still hope with the expansion...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the reason for the loss in sales is due to the poor amount of advertising. if i ask people about ut3 these days most people assoicate it an old game which isnt a good stereotype to have about such a great game. i think the game just needs to be revived

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pkguy323 View Post
    I do have a couple of questions, tho...

1. Why has the pricing of UT3 dropped SO DRAMATICALLY? It was released on Xbox360 in July 2008 for $59.99 and I can buy it now for $19.99. For the PC, it debuted for $49.99 and I bought it on line for $19.99 and recently saw it in a local bookstore for $14. The average price I've seen in stores is around $20. That doesn't look promising to me, but the game is certainly worth more than that. Maybe a new version is on the way? Just a thought.
    Among the reasons, a buggy demo, a bad launch in a saturated market, minimal PR that focused on the story instead of what actually made UT3 different from 2k4, a bugy initial release (despite a few quick patches.) On top of it all, lots of extremely negative word-of-mouth by 2k4 fans who didn't care for the visual and gameplay changes and wanted to see the game fail. The idea being that Epic would have to make the next title like 2k4, or stop the series entirely, allowing the 2k4 fans to claim "victory" for their side of the community.

It's developing the niche community that most Unreal titles have, where people discover it after the fact and say, "Why isn't this doing better?"

And like above, usually only the top hits (Halo, Gears, etc.) keep their price for sustained periods.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pkguy323 View Post
    I'm a Mac-fan who is STILL patiently waiting for the MacSoft Mac Version of UT3. Of course, in the interim, I've installed UT3 on my Mac via BootCamp(WinXP). The graphics are simply stunning...definitely more gritty.

With the hype here regarding the Xbox 360, I picked up a copy at Fry's ($20) and have to say that the graphics are really grainy in this format and not as crisp and clear for a 360 game. I like the look the best on the Mac. It will take me a while to get used to the 360 controllers because I've always played UT2004 on a PC--and have the UT2004 Mac Version-- and really see more benefit to the keyboard/mouse combo. But, I'll try out the Xbox 360 controller mod to see if I can really get that thing down.

1. Why has the pricing of UT3 dropped SO DRAMATICALLY? It was released on Xbox360 in July 2008 for $59.99 and I can buy it now for $19.99. For the PC, it debuted for $49.99 and I bought it on line for $19.99 and recently saw it in a local bookstore for $14. The average price I've seen in stores is around $20. That doesn't look promising to me, but the game is certainly worth more than that. Maybe a new version is on the way? Just a thought.

2. When is the next PC patch coming? Expansion pack sounds better to me.

I go back and forth between playing UT3 and UT2004. Each have their strengths, so maybe UT4 will simply merge them together to make the most awesome game EVER!

Heck, even call it the 2009 Anniversary edition.
    You can blame retailers for the price drop, can find games like GRID and DMC4 for the same price for both Xbox360 and PC. This is not necessarily just a problem with UT3, games seems to loose all their value after a year,

Leave a comment:

• started a topic My experience with UT3 on PC and XBox 360...

My experience with UT3 on PC and XBox 360...

I'm a Mac-fan who is STILL patiently waiting for the MacSoft Mac Version of UT3. Of course, in the interim, I've installed UT3 on my Mac via BootCamp(WinXP). The graphics are simply stunning...definitely more gritty.

With the hype here regarding the Xbox 360, I picked up a copy at Fry's ($20) and have to say that the graphics are really grainy in this format and not as crisp and clear for a 360 game. I like the look the best on the Mac. It will take me a while to get used to the 360 controllers because I've always played UT2004 on a PC--and have the UT2004 Mac Version-- and really see more benefit to the keyboard/mouse combo. But, I'll try out the Xbox 360 controller mod to see if I can really get that thing down.

2. When is the next PC patch coming? Expansion pack sounds better to me.

I go back and forth between playing UT3 and UT2004. Each have their strengths, so maybe UT4 will simply merge them together to make the most awesome game EVER!

Heck, even call it the 2009 Anniversary edition.
Working...
X