Just installed, having problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed, having problems

I just installed UT3 today and am having problems. I have a 2006 Dell XPS laptop. I have an Nvidia 6800 video card, windows xp sp3, 1g ram, 2 ghz processor. It seems to meet the minimum requirements, but when I try to play instant action, the graphics are terrible. I tried changing the resolution etc. to make things better but that didn't help. After about 3 minutes of gameplay, my computer crashed and restarted. Does anyone have any suggestions? I hope I don't have to trade my game in and get UT2k4=(

Did you update your video card drivers on the laptop? I think nVidia is up to 180.xx versions at this moment or 181.. Good luck.

Comment

1st - make sure screen percentage is at 100 (otherwise it looks like garbage)
      2nd - you're going to have to play with a low resolution - 800x600 max
      3rd - set world/texture detail to 1

If it plays well enough, have fun, otherwise, move the resolution further down. Also, make sure to update your video drivers, as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Rheumatism=) View Post
        I just installed UT3 today and am having problems. I have a 2006 Dell XPS laptop. I have an Nvidia 6800 video card, windows xp sp3, 1g ram, 2 ghz processor. It seems to meet the minimum requirements, but when I try to play instant action, the graphics are terrible. I tried changing the resolution etc. to make things better but that didn't help. After about 3 minutes of gameplay, my computer crashed and restarted. Does anyone have any suggestions? I hope I don't have to trade my game in and get UT2k4=(
        As already suggested, try updating your graphics card drivers. If you can't update them using the installer from Nvidia's website, go here.
        Another thing, make sure your laptop's fan are dust free, because playing this game on your computer will easily bring your computer to overheat if there's too much dust, resulting in system halts or reboots.

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
        1st - make sure screen percentage is at 100 (otherwise it looks like garbage)
        2nd - you're going to have to play with a low resolution - 800x600 max
        3rd - set world/texture detail to 1

If it plays well enough, have fun, otherwise, move the resolution further down. Also, make sure to update your video drivers, as mentioned above.
        I agree that with a 6800 he will not be able to play the game at full quality, but I'm playing it on a Radeon X800 XT (which performance is pretty close to a Nvidia 6800) at 1280x1024 (with medium quality settings) without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 414N View Post
          I agree that with a 6800 he will not be able to play the game at full quality, but I'm playing it on a Radeon X800 XT (which performance is pretty close to a Nvidia 6800) at 1280x1024 (with medium quality settings) without a problem.
          The X800XT is a way better card than a 6800Go. The X800XT is about the same as a 7800GT or 7900GS and almost as good as the 7800GTX. That places the X800XT right at the recommended hardware level. The 6800Go will get less than half the FPS of the X800XT. The 6800Go is right at the minimum hardware requirement. Still with the X800XT your likely not getting what I would call "playable FPS" at 1280x1024 and 3-3 quality unless you have done major ini adjustments.

I agree with MoonBlood, the 6800Go needs to be at 800x600 MAX and 1-1 quality. The 6800Go is not even listed as supported on the nvidia web site. So, not sure how well or how stable that notebook will be in case of driver issues.

Everyone has a different idea about exactly what "playable FPS" means. Myself, I do not like FPS to drop under 40 at all. Some can play with 35 FPS average and drops into the teens in places and call it OK, but I cannot. I can run my 7950GT SLI setup at 1280x1024 with 3-3 quality and good FPS, but not at 4-4 quality. I can also run at 1600x1200 with 1-2 quality. When I installed the game, it defaulted to 1024x768 with 4-4 quality. Whenever SLI is turned off, I get bad FPS at those settings. SLI gives me almost double FPS as I get with a single card.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
            The X800XT is a way better card than a 6800Go. The X800XT is about the same as a 7800GT or 7900GS and almost as good as the 7800GTX. That places the X800XT right at the recommended hardware level.
            You're right. I got confused with the Radeon 9000 series, which is comparable to the Geforce 6000 series.

Comment

I honestly think that need an overal better laptop, yet I would suggest a desktop. Although it might seem you meet minimum requirements (which is BS), you should use recommended requirements as a minimum just to guarantee the game operating more smoothly. Anything else my friend and you'll have constant headches.

Comment

Working...
              X