Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deadaim View Post
    see like i said server admins like taffy are to blame
    I know you're joking, but Taffy is talking from experience. He had the best custom TDM server and it was almost never populated, he took that same server, removed the custom content and increased the player cap, and it was populated all the time (though I never touched it again). With the size of the UT3 PC community it's either you play by yourself or you play the way the majority wants to play. Hopefully the expansion fixes custom content and improves the netcode, but even that is unlikely to make custom maps more popular among the more casual crowd

Comment

There's more people who complain about the state of DM/TDM then I ever see playing. If all of you guys could somehow find a way to be online at the same time.........

Comment

Definitely agree with the last two posts

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
          I put Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers limit back to 14 players

Honestly, I'd rather play 5vs5 on a mostly custom map server with UTcomp, but that's not what everyone wants. Players want pure stats updated, stock maps, and no mutators/mods.

I tried custom maps and UTcomp on a 10 player server for a while and it was extremely difficult to get a game started and to keep players on the server.

The best thing a server admin can do to keep the game going is to provide an environment that the majority of players want. The more stock a TDM server is the more popular it seems to be.
          100% true. We gave up on our first UT3 server for this very reason. We're giving it another try now. We have 10 man TDM server with custom maps and I can't seem to keep people in there. We get a few every now and then, but when Biohazard or Fearless doesn't win, they end up leaving. Or, they leave after calling everyone a cheat cause they suck. Straight to Overclock I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
            I know you're joking, but Taffy is talking from experience. He had the best custom TDM server and it was almost never populated, he took that same server, removed the custom content and increased the player cap, and it was populated all the time (though I never touched it again). With the size of the UT3 PC community it's either you play by yourself or you play the way the majority wants to play. Hopefully the expansion fixes custom content and improves the netcode, but even that is unlikely to make custom maps more popular among the more casual crowd

Hey he actually probably isn't joking. I would imagine that is an inside joke only a few people know about. I do find taffy mysteriously joining servers as a spectator that I go to way too often.

Comment

Good to see so many people agreeing with me. Now if we could only get those people on 1 TDM server.

I guess what it ultimately boils down to is the number of online players. In earlier UT versions there were beginner and higher level servers, but there were also servers "in between." Not the case in UT3. Experienced players prefer to play against other experienced players so they stay away from Overclocked. New players get owned on decent servers so they go to servers like Overclocked. Hard to blame them really, UT3 is a hard game if you're new to it.

New players, I hope you realize that although playing on a server like Overclocked might provide a quick and easy way to just blow sh*t up, but you're not doing yourself a favor in terms of actually improving at the game. Just join a regular TDM server every once in a while. Yes you will lose, and will probably die 3475 times before you get your first kill. But we've all been there, and it just makes those first kills all the more satisfying. Also don't be afraid to ask questions to the better players in the server. Sure, some are elitist aholes but ignore them. A really good player will be glad to show a beginner some stuff. For all he knows, that beginner may give him a good hard fight a couple of months later.

Veterans, if you see a player getting completely obliterated in a server, ask them if they want some tips. Tell them about dodging, tell them about mouse sensitivity to make it easier to aim, show them how to do a shockcombo, explain to them the importance of the various pickups in TDM, etc.

Some guy did the same for me back in UT99 when I was a n00b, and we ended up becoming e-friends and would duel eachother a couple of times a week for years. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by hoigaeensdood View Post
                a quick and easy way to just blow sh*t up
                Best definition of "popular FPS game". Ever!

Comment

That overclockers server is good for a quick blast now and again That is until you cant spawn due to a lack of spawn points (always seems to happen when you are leading a match!).

Comment

When i was like playing a long time Warfare I just like to spam around on a TDM-Server because I didnt need to concentrate hard like on a 4on4 TDM or on Warfare. Its just some fun for a short while

Comment

Working...
                    X