Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple question about 32 player TDM servers

Why?

Why do people seem to flock to these servers like bees to honey? Take the Overclocked TDM server for example. I tried to find a quick TDM game yesterday but all the decent servers were empty. There only was the Overclocked server, and it had 20 people playing on Biohazard...

Where is the challenge in walking in straight lines keeping the fire button pressed down?

Most of these players never dodge and think a shockcombo is lame....

I know I sound a bit frustrated about it but this is a serious question, not seeking flames. I'm honestly curious about why people prefer this kind of server against a decent 4on4 server.

I can't think of any reason so I'll prepare to be flabbergasted...

The simple answer is that people have different preferences - specifically, the straight line frag fest you refer to is, well, easy. Some hate the idea of a spam fest while others like it. Many people who do like spammy scenarios such as 20+ players on Biohazard enjoy it because they don't care for things like map control and as such just want a quick frag fest instead of a frustrating hide and seek match.

For a n00b or someone who just wants to get into the game and frag non-stop for 30-60 minutes, it is just plain frustrating to have their health slowly chipped away from half way across the map with a pew pew or any other hitscan weapon. Even worse, quite often this is accompanied by the occasional hit on the hitscanner, only to see him run away collecting and timing more health/power ups. So instead of subjecting themselves to such torture, those after a session of quick frags flock to Overclocked, because even though they'll get fragged a fair bit, they know that they'll also be able to land a 3 pack of rockets on many other players' faces unlike in a low player count DM on Deck where they're guaranteed to be owned repeatedly but will be lucky to score even one frag. It makes sense to me. After all, it quite easily follows from people's preferences.

Comment

I cannot think of a worse introduction to TDM than 32 player Bioshock

Comment

People want to play with lots of other people. They don't care about winning or competition, they want to have fun, and that's most people's idea of fun. People want lots of action.

What I have also found is that the higher the server's player count, the more likely plently of players will stay over the next map transition. If the the server's count is 10 players and 5 leave, more than likely all will follow. If 5 players leave a 20 player server, there is still enough players for lots of action in the next map. So, the higher the player count the greater likelihood people will be playing on the server.

What irritates me is that a custom map like DM-Worm can be voted and it clear an entire 20 player TDM server (yes, I saw it happen recently). People don't want to wait a minute or two for a download.

The DM community seems to be more receptive to custom maps than the TDM community, even though a lot of them play both. TDM players tend to like stock servers with lots of players.

Comment

Originally posted by hoigaeensdood View Post
          Why?

Why do people seem to flock to these servers like bees to honey? Take the Overclocked TDM server for example. I tried to find a quick TDM game yesterday but all the decent servers were empty. There only was the Overclocked server, and it had 20 people playing on Biohazard...

Where is the challenge in walking in straight lines keeping the fire button pressed down?

Most of these players never dodge and think a shockcombo is lame....

I know I sound a bit frustrated about it but this is a serious question, not seeking flames. I'm honestly curious about why people prefer this kind of server against a decent 4on4 server.

I can't think of any reason so I'll prepare to be flabbergasted...
          completely agree with you, i dont know why ppl do this but it KILLS the game. my suggestion is these server admins take these maps off their servers and lower the player count.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
            People want to play with lots of other people. They don't care about winning or competition, they want to have fun, and that's most people's idea of fun. People want lots of action.

What I have also found is that the higher the server's player count, the more likely plently of players will stay over the next map transition. If the the server's count is 10 players and 5 leave, more than likely all will follow. If 5 players leave a 20 player server, there is still enough players for lots of action in the next map. So, the higher the player count the greater likelihood people will be playing on the server.

What irritates me is that a custom map like DM-Worm can be voted and it clear an entire 20 player TDM server (yes, I saw it happen recently). People don't want to wait a minute or two for a download.

The DM community seems to be more receptive to custom maps than the TDM community, even though a lot of them play both. TDM players tend to like stock servers with lots of players.
            see like i said server admins like taffy are to blame

Comment

I put Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers limit back to 14 players

Honestly, I'd rather play 5vs5 on a mostly custom map server with UTcomp, but that's not what everyone wants. Players want pure stats updated, stock maps, and no mutators/mods.

I tried custom maps and UTcomp on a 10 player server for a while and it was extremely difficult to get a game started and to keep players on the server.

The best thing a server admin can do to keep the game going is to provide an environment that the majority of players want. The more stock a TDM server is the more popular it seems to be.

Comment

I like UTcomp because it changes the Red team color to something BRIGHT...(color blind). Most of the time i stay away from pure servers and stick with UTcomp.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                  I tried custom maps and UTcomp on a 10 player server for a while and it was extremely difficult to get a game started and to keep players on the server.
                  UT comp really messes up on me allot either invisible players or all players are white, or the HUD is gone.
                  Also if the vote menu wasn't so spastic and show only 8 maps at a time it would be allot easier to use.

I highly dislike dling maps due to the UI, it wont stop chirping every 5 seconds spamming your chatlog with progress. If the map changes during your dl it gets stuck still dling the custom map and loading it even tho its not the right map so then you load two maps and its takes a while or just DCs you.

If custom content was easier to manage I'm sure there would be allot more people playing custom maps. In UT2004 I recall playing almost all custom maps in iCTF and numerous custom favs in TAM. The "sniper/camper" niche plays only custom maps, they never really played UT3 due to very poor off the bat custom content support.

Comment

As a regular on the OC3D server I'd have to say

#1 Ping
                    #2 Good natured fun fraggin
                    #3 A good sandbox type server for new and old players on familiar maps.

Comment

Originally posted by tidds View Post
                      As a regular on the OC3D server I'd have to say

#1 Ping
                      #2 Good natured fun fraggin
                      #3 A good sandbox type server for new and old players on familiar maps.
                      Agreed, I've popped in a few times, nicely run server & fun with little sh*t talking, kinda like a TF2 vibe. Sure it is chaotic on certain maps but if you don't take it so serious it is fun.

Some names do seem to be stuck there tho -to the point where if it wasn't for their ping in 50s you'd think they're bots eg. some are there at 11pm and still there at 7 am, when I 've gone to bed and got up? I won't name names

Comment

It's sad but true, custom map gets voted and a lot of people bail. Not sure what would stop this. How can people play the same maps over and over? My only suggestion would be for custom servers to have a map pack so you don't have to get them one at a time. This probably won't solve the problem, but it would help me!

Comment

Moloko wrote

Sure it is chaotic on certain maps but if you don't take it so serious it is fun.

Its a similar vibe to the UT2K Jolt Rankin DM Demo server back in the day. I was a regular there too.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
                            I highly dislike dling maps due to the UI, it wont stop chirping every 5 seconds spamming your chatlog with progress. If the map changes during your dl it gets stuck still dling the custom map and loading it even tho its not the right map so then you load two maps and its takes a while or just DCs you.

If custom content was easier to manage I'm sure there would be allot more people playing custom maps. In UT2004 I recall playing almost all custom maps in iCTF and numerous custom favs in TAM. The "sniper/camper" niche plays only custom maps, they never really played UT3 due to very poor off the bat custom content support.
                            i find that chirping very helpful to let me know my game hasn't completely crashed like it does sometimes. I agree that custom content needs to be better managed

Comment

Originally posted by tidds View Post
                              Moloko wrote

Sure it is chaotic on certain maps but if you don't take it so serious it is fun.

Its a similar vibe to the UT2K Jolt Rankin DM Demo server back in the day. I was a regular there too.
                              I'd recommend this TDM server to any Warfare players who want to do something different some nights, & want a pressure free introduction to DM, but don't know the DM maps too well.

Comment

Working...
                              X