Wow... Vista is slow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3leggedFreak View Post
    Exactly, it's not his RAM that is the bottleneck, in fact I don't think he would notice any difference if he removed half of it. And it's nothing "wrong" with the rest of the rig other then that the specs are too low. So to get better performance he either have to build a new rig, or switch to XP.
    Not necessarily, you can dumb down Vista a fair bit if you know what you are doing. tweakvista is the best place to go for newbies and those with slower systems. First thing he should do is lose the Aero and the sidebar if he has them on and depending on what he is running lower his desktop resolution to speed up the gui drawing a bit on that vid card, its pretty slow for a 1Gb card and he should also take a look at this, could be a reason for his sluggish folder navigation as well or perhaps he hasn't let vista do all its file indexing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
      Yea, it is. However, the correlation between the the decreased performance and the additions to the network stack is debatable. And considering that the white paper confirms my suspicions regarding UDP, I wonder if extra layers in the stack is really the primary cause of the decreased performance.

The author doesn't once mention Vista's network throttling, which kicks in when it detects the presence of multimedia traffic. The problem? Running software such as steam during gaming, or any other software that happens to transfer multimedia over the network, will restrict traffic (including UDP) to 10 packets per ms, or 10,000 packets/sec. This could easily be a major factor in those results.

I'm not going to argue that I'm right, merely voicing my suspicions. Sometime this week I'll try some experimentation and try to determine if disabling the throttling has any mentionable effect on gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
        Yea, it is. However, the correlation between the the decreased performance and the additions to the network stack is debatable. And considering that the white paper confirms my suspicions regarding UDP, I wonder if extra layers in the stack is really the primary cause of the decreased performance.

The author doesn't once mention Vista's network throttling, which kicks in when it detects the presence of multimedia traffic. The problem? Running software such as steam during gaming, or any other software that happens to transfer multimedia over the network, will restrict traffic (including UDP) to 10 packets per ms, or 10,000 packets/sec. This could easily be a major factor in those results.

I'm not going to argue that I'm right, merely voicing my suspicions. Sometime this week I'll try some experimentation and try to determine if disabling the throttling has any mentionable effect on gaming.
        ...And they're selling a product that bypassses it -killer nic-which many feel has questionable benefit, if any at all. A summary of the findings; http://vista.blorge.com/2007/04/05/o...vista-than-xp/

Comment

Working...
        X