New 181.20 WHQL Drivers - Crashing in Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 181.20 WHQL Drivers - Crashing in Warfare

Installed this set yesterday. There are good performance increases in most games but any time I play a UT3 Warfare match, I get crashed out to desktop after a few seconds. I did play CTF and TDM with no problems experienced. After rolling back to 180.48 and back in-game (Warfare), another player confirmed that the same thing had happened to him.

This is just for information. It would be helpful if others with the same issue could verify.

Hi,
    Same here - i'm running Vista 64 Ultimate. Crashed UT in approx 2 secs. Wouldn't play a flyby with HardwareOC UT3 Bench either. Only tried Warfare so can't comment further, v.disappointed as these are WHQL drivers! Have read that its the same story with all the leaked forceware drivers above 180.48 so potentially is a major issue. Am back running 180.48 with no probs - 8800GT. But usually like to run with the latest / beta releases.

Comment

Yo thanks for that information guys. Im scared to try em now, don't want to lose warfare :\ Masaai what op system do you have? Maybe its just vista problem?

Comment

Thx for the warning guys!
        I have the same specs as Jagleman: 8800GT overclocked, Vista x64, latest driver. 180.84 didnt work as the new 181.20. Only 180.48 works fine for me! Thats too bad :-/ Nvidia did a bad job :-/

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRosie View Post
          Yo thanks for that information guys. Im scared to try em now, don't want to lose warfare :\ Masaai what op system do you have? Maybe its just vista problem?
          I am on Vista 32-bit.

Comment

If you are overclocking it might be overheating or you might now have a big enough power supply to support it which i believe would make you crash if it is using too much power so maybe you can try turning oc off and see if it still works

Im using vista 64bit with xfx 8600gt and mine works fine but i don't use nvidia drivers i use the xfx ones made specially for my card

so that could also be your problem if u have say a xfx 8800gt or bfg 8800gt you might need to use those drivers not the vanilla nvidia ones because xfx and bfg are modified cards

Comment

I also have the same problem now, as well as ET:Quake Wars now has been screwed over big time! My F3 key thats currently bind to ready up function and nothing else for some reason brings up the global chat!? (a vary bad thing if your online like I was and you can't get the server out of the warm up!)

Also it seems that all games that have the Games For Windows logo work just fine! IE Front Lines: Fuel of war, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry2, Company of Heroes, DOD:S, TF2, Half Life Episodes 1/2 and Portal all work, as well as Supreme Commander, and Halo2. Sadly that means that UT3, and ET:Quake Wars witch both do not have the Games for Windows Icons, as well as BF:2142, BF2, and Call of Duty: 4 Modern Warfare all no longer work with the default Nvidia Drivers.

Well we all knew this would happen some day. UT3 in particular was getting up there in age for games that my not work, and with the quick shift to DX11 already in the works it seems some great games are going to get left behind if their not Games for Windows!

Comment

OK, thanks for the warning.
                This means I will stay to my current 180.48.
                (GeForce 8800 GTS 512 - not overclocked).

Greets

Comment

Originally posted by Finaldeath View Post
                  If you are overclocking it might be overheating or you might now have a big enough power supply
                  The 180.48s (and all previous drivers) are working fine with UT3. This has nothing to do with my OC or my PSU. The drivers are the issue here. I have seen this confirmed on multiple forums already.

Originally posted by Gunwing View Post
                  I also have the same problem now, as well as ET:Quake Wars now has been screwed over big time!
                  Well we all knew this would happen some day. UT3 in particular was getting up there in age for games that my not work, and with the quick shift to DX11 already in the works it seems some great games are going to get left behind if their not Games for Windows!
                  2 things:

(a) I tried ET:QW yesterday and had no problems or issues at all.
                  (b) I highly doubt that UT3 is 'getting left behind' as it is part of Nvidia's The Way Its Meant To Be Played program, and afaik, Epic and Nvidia have worked very closely on the whole Unreal Engine 3 collaboration. You have no basis to make such sensationalist statements to be honest :/

Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
                  OK, thanks for the warning.
                  This means I will stay to my current 180.48.
                  (GeForce 8800 GTS 512 - not overclocked).

Greets
                  As far as I am concerned, the more ppl that try and confirm that there is/isn't a problem, the better

Comment

Originally posted by Finaldeath View Post
                    If you are overclocking it might be overheating or you might now have a big enough power supply to support it which i believe would make you crash if it is using too much power so maybe you can try turning oc off and see if it still works
                    Im sure that there is no overheating, but thx anyway

But in previous NVidia drivers I had issues when i switched on "Physix GPU Acceleration". So I let it off. That work fine for me...

Did anyone tell Nvidia this ut3 issue?

Comment

@Fliperaci:
                      You got an invitation

@Masaai_Warrior:
                      Maybe I will try it too.
                      But not today.

Edit:
                      @Fliperaci:
                      Yes, it seems someone posted it already in Nvidia forums:
                      Originally posted by Random Guy
                      This set makes Unreal Tournament 3 crash for me when playing any Warfare map. It will load up the map okay but a few seconds in and I am crashed out to desktop. This has been confirmed by other users on the main Epic forums as well as other hardware sites like Guru3D.

The same thing happened with the 180.84 betas released for GTA4. The last stable set - which I have currently rolled back to - for UT3 are the 180.48s.

My OS is Vista 32-bit.
                      http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...dpost&p=488596

Greets

Comment

Previous 18x drivers would crash UT3 with some strange out-of-memory error on my 8600GTS. These new ones are different though - they crash with a totally nondescript error:
                        Code:
                        Critical: appError called:
                        Critical: Result failed 
                         at .\Src\D3D9Viewport.cpp:180 
                         with error D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR
                        Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
                        Critical: appError called:
                        Critical: Rendering thread exception:
                        Result failed 

RaiseException() Address = 0x7c812aeb (filename not found) 
                        CxxThrowException() Address = 0x78158e89 (filename not found) 
                        Address = 0xba0102   (filename not found) 
                        Address = 0xe8781b4c (filename not found) 

Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
                        Log: === Critical error: ===
                        Rendering thread exception:
                        Result failed 

Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
                        Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
                        Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
                        Exit: UALAudioDevice::ShutdownAfterError
                        Log: Shutting down FaceFX...
                        Log: FaceFX shutdown.
                        Exit: Exiting.
                        Exit: Name subsystem shutting down
                        Uninitialized: Log file closed, 01/09/09 16:32:22
                        Joy!

Comment

Windows 98 computer FTW! it's sad that we can't play older games anymore eh?

Comment

I'm using Vista 64 + 8800 GTX + core2quad.

For me the 178.24 driver was the only driver that had working PhysX support. I upgraded to the 180.48 driver and PhysX effects stopped working in HeatRay & Tornado. Lighthouse simply crashes. It tried the 180.84 beta driver, no difference. I've moved back to the 178.24 driver. After moving back, PhysX doesn't work anymore, so something didn't downgrade properly.

Comment

I'm curious if these driver problems are related to improper driver installation.
                              by that I mean are these fresh installs?
                              Or older versions removed with something like driver cleaner then the new drivers installed?
                              just curious.
                              I want to try out these drivers, but I don't want to crash my UT3 after two years of memory issues finally resolved. I actually get to play UT3 now without crashes...don't want to anger the driver gods and have them crash me again.

Comment

Working...
                              X