No announcement yet.

What UT3 Did Right and Wrong and Some Suggestions for Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

watching that video i think what seperates ut3 is its a little slower play wise as 99, a little more gravity and way to dark and gloomy.

Undo those in ut3 and make them match 99
    and ur good

oh yeah and a ui

oh yeah give map makes a easyer way to change wep spawn times, it was in 2k4 but they took it out. Also bring back assault

Comment

Epic should just start over and make a new UT game.

If epic makes a new UT they should add this stuff in it.

1. Add all the old mods like Invasion, Assault, Bombing Run, Double Domination, etc.... and make some new ones but don't rehash them like you did with warfare.

2. Add all the foot movement from ut2004 and add in some new stuff.

3. The first word of the title is Unreal so make the game UNREAL!!!!!!!!!

4. Make the mac version with the PC version.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Nightmare View Post
        Epic should just start over and make a new UT game.

If epic makes a new UT they should add this stuff in it.

1. Add all the old mods like Invasion, Assault, Bombing Run, Double Domination, etc.... and make some new ones but don't rehash them like you did with warfare.

2. Add all the foot movement from ut2004 and add in some new stuff.

3. The first word of the title is Unreal so make the game UNREAL!!!!!!!!!

4. Make the mac version with the PC version.
        Exactly my sentiments.

Comment

IMO the editor is the best part of UT3. I cant play the game without mutators or community maps for more then 5 minutes before I lose interest but I can play around with the editor for hours on end.

So out of the box the editor is the only thing right about UT3 for me at least.

I spent 4 years actually playing UT2k4. I've spent 2008 trying to make UT3 as enjoyable to play as 2k4.

Comment

"Warfare Mode (improvement on Onslaught)"

You are joking

"+++ for audio"
            -again you are joking - the vehichle sounds are awful, the voice acting worse.

What we need is intellignece - not point a gun here and fire to make a big splat (I waited months for quake live, played it 5 mins just now and will never bother playing it again!)

What we need is depth, intelligence, cohesion, and time to enjoy a game. We don't really want adrenaline pumped stress, which is what UT3 decided to be.

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx View Post
              nah UT3 editor is rediculous, i dont mind a few changs, but this is insane..
              and why the hell is music import .wav? no one has .wav anymore...
              I don't know what audio format they use in a cooked file, but it probably ain't mp3. And mp3 is probably what you'd wanna use, am I right? Re-compressing in another format really ruins the audio.

Comment

A good explanation of the Unreal games Benfica.
                ET24k/fun,UT99/soul,etc.
                UE3 is a great engine and with a little effort I believe the next installment could make the game great again.
                More gametypes,more maps etc.
                What about a gametype with an open world battlefield similar to Crysis Wars?
                the game has the physics.the weapons,and vehicles and it would bring something new to the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                  "We don't really want adrenaline pumped stress, which is what UT3 decided to be.
                  You mean you don't like fast paced adrenalin pumping action? I do and I,m pushing 50 years old. All those other games out there suck candy bars in comparison to the UT series. Its something I look forward to after a hard days work! It helps me unwind. LOL

Comment

the audio in ut3 is WAV. it would be awesome and more easy to work with if it was mp3.

Comment

I replayed the UT99 "campaign" the other day and noticed a few interesting discrepancies:
                      • Dead-simple tournament ladder > contrived story. Though I have to admit that the occasional "would you rather do this than that" would have been a good addition.
                      • In UT99, your teammates are actually useful, displaying a level of competence equal to that of my opponents and not forcing me to do all the important work myself, like capturing flags. I could hang back on the Hydro/Face towers and snipe all match long while my team would capture flags. Try doing that in UT3 and you die of old age. Maybe it's because the UT99 "campaign" has no TDM and no vehicles, but maybe it's just because UT3's gameplay is messed up.
                      • No stupid double jump, just one decent single jump. No mysterious mid-air rocket style farting for extra height. Didn't miss it then, didn't miss it now.
                      • Crazy map design! Towers on an asteroid! Skyscrapers sticking out into space! Fighting in a giant reactor! Asymmetry! Such maps are dismissed as "gimmick maps" in later iterations of the franchise, but they are what set UT99 apart from that dreadfully boring Quake "endless brown tunnels" syndrom.
                      • Credible taunts! No "Eff yeah!". *cringes*

My trip down memory lane also illustrated a few things UT3 did right:
                      • In-your-face action. The franchise is once more about pumping people full of explosive goodness at close range. No more 10-mile flickshots at bouncing dots, no more shocktape.
                      • Vehicles! ****, if UT99 would have had those...

Comment

Crazy map design! Towers on an asteroid! Skyscrapers sticking out into space! Fighting in a giant reactor! Asymmetry!
                        There was a map, Phobis or something like that, it had a Redeemer and you could take a lift up to the top of a tall tower and snipe the people inside the the space ship. I can't remember too much about it but it was a fun map. UT3 maps need to be more like that and offer players the chance to fight on different many different floors instead of just one or two storey buildings.

The good thing about many UT99 maps is that they were open but rarely degenerated into a pure hitscan fest.

Comment

For some reason, I would be more likely to replay UT99's single player "campaign" than UT3's, even though UT3 has my all-time favorite FPS feature; vehicles. I think it's because UT99's single player is not such an excercise in frustration.

Especially the VCTF matches are horrible. Highly linear map design that ensures that hardly anyone makes it past midfield. Bots don't go for the flags much but seem content simply deathmatching.

Or howsabout the 4 versus 8 WAR matches where your teammates just want to park some vehicles in the middle of nowhere instead of helping you defend the prime against half the enemy team...

Or TDM in Sanctuary, where half your job is not to just kick *** but to babysit Othello and keep him from giving away too many frags.

Someone should make a mod that replaces the campaign with a simple randomized tournament ladder and equalizes Red and Blue AI. That would so rock.

Comment

"No double dodge jump (bring it back!)"

NO! This will ruin the game!

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
                            watching that video i think what seperates ut3 is its a little slower play wise as 99, a little more gravity and way to dark and gloomy.

Undo those in ut3 and make them match 99
                            and ur good
                            sup

darkm and gloomy can be tweaked

Comment

Originally posted by GunslingerV View Post
                              Scale: +++ (Excellent changes) to --- (terrible changes)

+++
                              Graphics and audio ('nuff said)
                              Hoverboard & Grapple System (awesome new dynamic to Warfare & VCTF)

++
                              Character customizations (yay)
                              Warfare Mode (improvement on Onslaught)

+
                              New Minigun and Sniper (became more "modernized", pretty cool)
                              New Vehicles
                              More voices

[Neutral]
                              Balancing (several good changes, such as removing adrenaline, no flag carrying on vehicles/no more manta runs, but several bad ones as well, such as scorpion being overpowered against hovers & wicked sick necris vehicles)

-
                              Missing old weapons (lightning gun, ripper, etc)
                              Heavy reliance on .ini tweaking (Settings customizations is lacking, unless you resort to .ini tweaking)
                              Few mutators
                              UI is too "console-like"
                              Female characters are huge and wear massive bulky armor
                              Not enough maps

--
                              No double dodge jump (bring it back!)
                              Overall movement's just not as good as it used to be
                              Bad map editor (not 100% sure, just what I've read from a few posts)
                              Graphical objects (You don't know what foliage you can hide behind unless you turn foliage off as well.)

---
                              Single player campaign is horrible
                              Missing Old Modes - Assault, Bombing Run, Domination, etc
                              Community has severely shrunk
                              Few populated multiplayer servers

Some Suggestions for improvement:
                              Fixing single player campaign - bring back the old "tournament" system with all its perks such as team roster & recruitment, bloodrites, etc; the UT3 campaign doesnt have to be entirely scrapped, rather it could be integrated into the tournament campaign (for example, the tournament could start from 1 of 5 locations on the world map and fight your way to conquer the rest, with the tougher teams starting farther away from your starting location; also add more interesting tweaks and features, such as bloodrites enabled when u control 60-80%+ of a team's total territory etc, or take over their capital/initial start)

Bring back Assault and Bombing Run - enough said, missing assault mode was one of the big disappointments of UT2k3 as well

Improve modding and map-making tools to encourage greater community contribution

Improve multiplayer interface

Revamp movement and jumping (double dodge jumps were an important combat dynamic)

New UIs

Higher graphical settings should not add new map objects (players with high-end systems hiding behind foliage when players on lower settings cant even see foliage)

Remake more of the older classic maps
                              The story line seems more like it should be a standalone Unreal game, rather than having the Tournament title thrown on and each mission set up in the Tournament style. If Epic was smart they could make a standalone Unreal series potentially the next Halo if the just followed the Bungie blueprint all the way down to the multiplayer/film/record/screenshot. Unreal already has all of the ingredients, they just keep floating around disconnected from eachother and it seems like no one put them together right for UT3.

And I miss the AR. The Enforcer just doesn't do it for me. I wasn't even a big fan of it in UT99, and was stoked to see an AR in UT2K3. The Ripjack would've been great too. Personally I could do without the bio-rifle. And the redeemer feels too clumsy. I understand where they're coming from in terms of making a weapon like that as realistic as possible...but if we're trying to be 'realistic' why are we packing around eight or nine big weapons like they're nothing? With all that I think we can pack around a Redeemer like we used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X