Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[PC] Keybinding Tutorial - Bind Throw Weapon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PC] Keybinding Tutorial - Bind Throw Weapon

0. Preamble
    Bindings always work for me. PLEASE FOLLOW EVERY STEP and it will work for you too.

Enjoy!

1. Backup
    We'll be altering the UTInput.ini file. Make a backup just in case. Just copy and paste the file in the same spot and it will name the new one "Copy of UTInput.ini".

2. Unbind
    First off, you MUST unbind the keys you want to use. All you have to do is open UT3. Open the Settings-->Input menu. Click "Keys" at the bottom of the screen. Set the "Fire" function to the key you wish to use, and then set "Fire" back to the left mouse button (LMB). Voila, the key is now unbound.

3. Bind
    Open C:\Documents and Settings\*YourName*\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTInput.ini.

You must now make a binding for what you want to use. You make the changes in the section marked [Engine.PlayerInput]. There is a section marked [UTGame.UTPlayerInput] with all the same lines, but I'm not totally sure what it's for, and changes to it don't seem to do anything.

Format:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="Y")
    where X is the key you wish to use and Y is the command.

Multiple commands can be piped in, such as change to a weapon plus change mouse sensitivity.

Format:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="Y | Z")
    where X is the key you wish to use, Y is a command and Z is a command. There is a space before and after the pipe "|".

A command is what you enter in the console in game, from "Say" to "GOD" to "Screenshot".

If the key you wish to use isn't already on the list, you can add it. Letters are represented by the capital of said letter, e.g. "K". F keys are represented as such "F8" "F9". Symbols and numbers are represented by the written name of the key, e.g. "Minus" "Comma" "SpaceBar" "seven" "eight". Numpad keys are as such "NumPadZero" "NumPadFive" etc.

When binding a key for the first time I recommend binding a "Say" command because it's simple to test. Once you are sure it's working, you can use any command possible that you can enter in the console while in game.

4. Example
    I'm going to bind my "J" key to say "It works!" I made a backup already, so I open UT3 and in the Settings-->Input-->Keys menu I set my "Fire" function to "J". Then I set "Fire" back to LMB. My "J" key is now unbound.

I now open my UTInput.ini file found in My Documents. At the top of the file under [Engine.PlayerInput] I find Bindings=(Name="J",Command="Taunt 1"). Unbinding a key does not clear it's definition in this list for some reason, that's why it's still set to "Taunt 1".
    I change the entry to this:
    Bindings=(Name="J",Command="Say It works!")
    Now I open UT3 and start an Instant Action match and test that bad boy out.

5. What else can I do?
    "Say" and "TeamSay" macros are just the beginning. There are many things that can be done. Most popular would be binding weapons to keys.
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="GBA_SwitchWeapon1") where 1 can be any number 0-9 representing each weapon respectively.

You can bind ThrowWeapon, a command that is not in the game by default. WeaponsStay must be off for it to work:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="ThrowWeapon | teamsay Weapon Dropped")

You can instantly connect to a favorite server:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="Open xx.xx.xxx.xxx") where x is the IP.

You can bind mouse sensitivity:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="setsensitivity 20.0") where 20.0 is actually 2000 in the in game settings. Whatever setting you want it to be in game, divide that number by 100 and use that.

You can bind field of view:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="FOV 100") where 100 can be any number 80-100 which are the limits the game allows.

You can bind suicide:
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="suicide")

You can combine multiple commands as explained above. For example:
    Bindings=(Name="nine",Command="GBA_SwitchWeapon9 | FOV 80 | setsensitivity 7.5") Will change to sniper, zoom my FOV and set my sensitivity to 750.
    Bindings=(Name="G",Command="GBA_SwitchToBestWeapon | FOV 100 | setsensitivity 15.0") will change to my best weapon, return to widescreen FOV and return my sensitivity to 1500.
    The purpose of this binding is to increase my accuracy when sniping at a distance and when someone approaches me I instantly bust out a close range weapon and return my controls and view to normal.

You can bind a key to alternate between two weapons. In this example it will rotate between Flak and Rockets.
    Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="switchweapon 8 | switchweapon 7 | setbind o PipeD")
    Bindings=(Name="PipeD",Command="switchweapon 7 | switchweapon 8 | setbind o PipeC")
    Bindings=(Name="o",Command="PipeC")

"o" is initially "PipeC" which has two switch weapon commands. One will take priority if you have both weapons, but if you only have one it will bring that one up. Then it changes "o" to "PipeD" which alternates the priority of the weapons, so that if you have both you will draw the other weapon. Then "o" is changed back to "PipeC".
    "PipeC" and "PipeD" are names than are chosen by the user, and can be changed to anything not already in use. e.g. if you wanted to pipe bind another key then you could make them "PipeA" and "PipeB".

You can bind a hammer jump: (thanks go to Mr. Evil)
    Bindings=(Name="StartHammer",Command="ToggleMelee | StartFire")
    Bindings=(Name="StopHammer",Command="Jump | OnRelease StopFire | OnRelease ToggleMelee")
    Bindings=(Name="key1",Command="StartHammer")
    Bindings=(Name="key2",Command="StopHammer")

6. Conclusion
    That's all I can think of right now. If someone has something they want to do, but aren't too savvy with this kind of thing, ask me and I'll see if I can write the lines for you.

Bah, I wish I had known about the pipe weapon switch before. In UT2004 I had Rocket and Avril to W and Link and Minigun to 5. But now I know, so why am I complaining? Gonna try it out.
    Great write up. Thank you.

Using this method, is it now possible to bind the Tab key to a command?

I have my entire Num Pad set to specific messages. I just wish they were available in the voice menu. One more thing to hope for in the expansion.

Here are some of mine in case someone wants to quickly copy and paste them or get an idea of how to use them.
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="Say Nice")
    Bindings=(Name="Decimal",Command="Say Nice shot")
    Bindings=(Name="Subtract",Command="TeamSay Heal Please")
    Bindings=(Name="Add",Command="Say Thank you")
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadSeven",Command="Say Affirmative")
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadEight",Command="Say Negative")
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadFive",Command="Say Incoming")
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="TeamSay Somebody get Orb D;")

Comment

Thanks for the write up, that helped greatly!

Comment

Good post!
        I'm sure many here did not know about it.

Just a question:
        Do you know if it is possible to change the colors/contrast of the game?
        I found a contrast command, but it did not work for me.
        (just contrast and a value in console).

It is because some maps seem to have a problem with the Juggernaut view:
        http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9...ot00150ei4.jpg

So I really would like to have:
        bind key little contrast
        bind key normal contrast
        (Of course it should get changed quickly).

Would be cool if something like that could work...

P.S. I use many say bindings with my G15. I just set the numlock keys for that and then I set them to the G-Keys in the Logitech software.

Greets

Comment

Here's how to bind a hammer jump (taken from an old thread by Mr. Evil):

Bindings=(Name="StartHammer",Command="ToggleMelee | StartFire")
          Bindings=(Name="StopHammer",Command="Jump | OnRelease StopFire | OnRelease ToggleMelee")
          Bindings=(Name="key1",Command="StartHammer")
          Bindings=(Name="key2",Command="StopHammer")

Just change key1 and key2 to whatever you want them to be. I never found this useful because you have to tap the StopHammer button really fast (faster than you would normally tap it), but maybe it will come in handy for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
            Here's how to bind a hammer jump (taken from an old thread by Mr. Evil):
            Thanks MoonBlood, I've updated the post with this as well as the ThrowWeapon command.

Originally posted by «MechikTåj» View Post
            Using this method, is it now possible to bind the Tab key to a command?
            I'm afraid I don't know, but probably.

Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
            Do you know if it is possible to change the colors/contrast of the game?
            I found a contrast command, but it did not work for me.
            (just contrast and a value in console).

It is because some maps seem to have a problem with the Juggernaut view:
            http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9...ot00150ei4.jpg
            I think there are commands to change post processing. What settings do you use for PP? It looks like the PP settings for that map and the juggernaut PP aren't mixing very well. If you think it's post processing, I can try and help you find the command. I think Benfica has something like that in his signature.

Comment

Hmm I already tried it without using post processing.
              (I normally use the intense).
              But it did not change
              (I can try it again, but I'm very sure it did not help.)

WAR-Onyx Coast is the opposite:
              Absolutely clear view while beeing a juggernaut.
              No idea if it could be a map issue too.

Greets

Comment

I like the idea of reducing mouse sensitivity when sniping
                I tried to do it like this

Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="setsensitivity 7.5" | setsensitivity 30.0" | setbind B PipeD")

Not sure that's right, wanted the "B" key to switch between 3000(my default) and 750 when sniping. Is there a way to do this? as above didn't work.

Will go try your way in the meantime.

Edit -
                nevermind, seems nothing works when doing this, for me anyway.
                Will get a mouse that has adjustable sensitivity instead

Comment

Nice Post

Comment

Originally posted by Transmitthis View Post
                    I like the idea of reducing mouse sensitivity when sniping
                    I tried to do it like this

Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="setsensitivity 7.5" | setsensitivity 30.0" | setbind B PipeD")

Not sure that's right, wanted the "B" key to switch between 3000(my default) and 750 when sniping. Is there a way to do this? as above didn't work.

Will go try your way in the meantime.

Edit -
                    nevermind, seems nothing works when doing this, for me anyway.
                    Will get a mouse that has adjustable sensitivity instead
                    Did you follow every step? Make sure you manually unbind the B key. Make sure you're putting your bind in the section marked [Engine.PlayerInput]. The way you wrote it out is wrong either way. Here is what you want to use:

Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="setsensitivity 30.0 | setsensitivity 7.5 | setbind b PipeD")
                    Bindings=(Name="PipeD",Command="setsensitivity 7.5 | setsensitivity 30.0 | setbind b PipeC")
                    Bindings=(Name="b",Command="PipeC")

Note that you add PipeC and PipeD, but since B is already used in the game you have to replace the default B binding.

Again, make sure you follow every step. One of the steps includes using a simple Say command just to be sure your binding is working for that key.

Comment

[shot]http://utforums.epicgames.com/images/rating/rating_5.gif[/shot] thread

@Nightmare85: very strange, doesn't look like a post-processing problem

Comment

Anybody ever figure out how to bind a specific taunt? If you bind "Taunt 1" for example you end up with the ole random taunt problem just like the default taunt keys. There are a bunch of great taunts/orders you can play in the editor that would be nice to use.

Comment

Another interesting trick is to make scripts.
                          Example: suspense.txt (VCTF-Suspense) to save to /Binaries (VCTF-Suspense)
                          setbind NumpadTwo teamsay VVV EFC going LOW (near water) VVV
                          setbind NumpadFive teamsay <> EFC is crossing the bridge <>
                          Save this file to <UT3Folder>//Binaries/suspense.txt

then when in game use console and type "exec suspense.txt" to load this custom binds.
                          This is very useful when wanting to make specific binds for specific maps.
                          You can do this with whatever text file in /binaries folder
                          "exec <textfilename>"

Comment

Perfect - this is what I need to take my gaming to the next level - look out those that play on my servers :-) I will be getting owned only half as much now...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                              Did you follow every step? Make sure you manually unbind the B key. Make sure you're putting your bind in the section marked [Engine.PlayerInput]. The way you wrote it out is wrong either way. Here is what you want to use:

Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="setsensitivity 30.0 | setsensitivity 7.5 | setbind b PipeD")
                              Bindings=(Name="PipeD",Command="setsensitivity 7.5 | setsensitivity 30.0 | setbind b PipeC")
                              Bindings=(Name="b",Command="PipeC")

Note that you add PipeC and PipeD, but since B is already used in the game you have to replace the default B binding.

Again, make sure you follow every step. One of the steps includes using a simple Say command just to be sure your binding is working for that key.
                              Thanks for the reply.
                              I tried again, did the say bind - it didn't work... but I was trying it by assigning it to my MX Revolution Mouse through the setpoint software to button B
                              Just pressing B on the keypad worked

So it was a problem with Setpoint settings - Seems to be an issue with the middle mouse button but after setting up "game detection" and selecting a few settings all is working as it should.

Then tried the Sensitivty key bind you kindly did for me, Thanks, yes it does work fine.

I then went and assigned some weapons to my other mouse keys,
                              Link Gun on First thumb button
                              crouch on Second thumb button
                              Rockets on right tilt of middle scroll wheel
                              Sniper on left tilt of middle scroll wheel
                              Sensitivity change on press of middle scroll wheel
                              Avril of push of thumb wheel
                              Flack on press of thumb wheel
                              Shock on pull of thumb wheel
                              Sounds a mess, but it's actually real nice when you get used to it.
                              I wanted the sensitivty on a seperate button in case I wanted to use the sniper when running around, otherwise I would have done it like you did.

You are not going to be popular on my local LAN or online in the UK when I start "Headshoting!" more.... Used to take me ages to line up a shot on Torlan for example, and half the time I was too late or got shot. But you are popular with me, Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X