So I just bought UTIII for my PC....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just bought UTIII for my PC....

I just bought Unreal Tournament III for my PC today. I have owned it on PS3 since the day it came out, but I recently bought an amazing Laptop, and I wanted to own the game on PC because quite frankly, my new laptop > my PS3.

I love UTIII and have always loved UT, but I was quite surprised when I logged in to see that there were not many matches at all! I was playing recently, (about 10:30-11:00 PM Eastern Time) and I was looking for CTF and DM games, and there were absolutely NO CTF games. Am I missing something? Did the game lose it's popularity on the PC, or is everyone playing a different game mode? Please someone fill me in! By the year 2007 Tons of people were still on 2004! What happened?

ut3 servers/gamespy is down right now, otherwise i'd be pwning you

Comment

If you're in North America, you're going to have a hard time finding people playing CTF. VCTF is pretty active, but CTF is a ghost town and has been since shortly after the game came out.

Comment

So it's just official servers down, is that it? Because the number of players right now is disgustingly low. There are more people playing Hello Kitty Brigade somewhere in the world.

Comment

And yes I'm NA

Comment

come visit my server its been pretty active all nite

Comment

the classics are awesome indeed. I even had to train myself from playing 2k4 every day..
              ahhh, yes; those were the days

I have no idea why there are hardly any players. I guess the competition is tough when it comes to shooters or games in general possibly.

Comment

it signs in for me but it sits at the window for ten minutes then logs me in...

Comment

Sorry but CTF has been in a sad state virtually since the game shipped, perhaps you should try vCTF it has far more, but that is relatively speaking.. The game overall does not even come close to UT2004 in popularity (which itself was not exactly gold compared to the success of UT). They are making an expansion which may contain some things to bring the community back (so the rumors go), so I wouldn't throw it away just yet. Epic I'm sure knows that if they don't do something drastic then the franchise is history.

Comment

Now that you are on PC get on irc.gameradius.org #ut3pugs
                    we haven't played much over the holidays though

Comment

Originally posted by Bebo View Post
                      Now that you are on PC get on irc.gameradius.org #ut3pugs
                      we haven't played much over the holidays though
                      Is it too hard to just go online and play the game through the game itself? I think pushing potential/new players to chat programs doesn't help the game much if at all. The reason being the average gamer is going to just want to go online through the game and look at the server browser and find a game to play. When they see no players it is most likely they'll just not play at all (i.e. go idle or play bots on a empty server until someone joins). I would agree the game could greatly use a central lobby system, but officially built into the game, and not a separate niche entity like IRC. A niche inside of a already niche game isn't going to go anywhere in the bigger light of things. Wanna get the player population up? Join game servers and populate them and not idle on IRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Emig5m View Post
                        Is it too hard to just go online and play the game through the game itself? I think pushing potential/new players to chat programs doesn't help the game much if at all. The reason being the average gamer is going to just want to go online through the game and look at the server browser and find a game to play. When they see no players it is most likely they'll just not play at all (i.e. go idle or play bots on a empty server until someone joins). I would agree the game could greatly use a central lobby system, but officially built into the game, and not a separate niche entity like IRC. A niche inside of a already niche game isn't going to go anywhere in the bigger light of things. Wanna get the player population up? Join game servers and populate them and not idle on IRC.
                        I disagree completely. Four years ago I started playing UT99. I was a total n00b. I didn't know any of the tricks or any body in the community. I met some guy in game and he got me on irc. From there I have met a ton of people and played in a lot of pugs (pick up games). IRC helps new guys by giving them a gateway to meet other players that can help them and show them the tricks and strategies of UT3. I actually pug sometimes in Bebo's channel, just dm isn't my favorite game type.

Comment

I also have to disagree with Emig5m. First of all the UT community has always been built around IRC since the original UT99 game had an internal IRC client. Secondly, the average player is not going to play UT3. I'm sorry, but there are not enough populated servers to get away from the competitive players who will just dominate the game. UT3, like the rest of the unreal series, is designed to be competitive and as such allows people to achieve an insanely high level of proficiency.

The problem with the in game system?
                          I'm an active pub player who also plays pugs (pickup games through IRC) and if it were not for the pugs I would have already quit UT3. Games on public servers get very repetitive for competitive players. There are only 4 good maps played on any given public server and by the time enough good players come on line to make it fun, I've usually played them all twice and have now shut down UT3. IRC gives me a way to arrange matches with players of my skill level (or better) and play maps I wouldn't normally get to play. I will agree that idling on IRC doesn't do anything for the game, but IRC keeps players playing the game who would have otherwise quit, and this ultimately leads to more people in pubs not less.

One more positive to playing through IRC is you will actually be able to get good at the game (quickly too). All those bad habits and spam that work in pub games don't cut it against good players and you will be forced to get better. I started playing through IRC for the first time in 5 years back in November and I'm now easily beating players who used to easily beat me in pub matches.

Comment

Emig5m does make a good point. Very few new players know about irc. So, all the new players see are empty servers because the elite DMers do not play on the pubs. Sure, irc is fine, but they also should play the pubs a bit. Just to get players numbers up a bit.

Comment

Well I guess mirc or irc is too intimidating for some players to get used to. So actually, 9 months ago there was an irc made around ut3. Check it out. It's fairly simple to use and you can search for channels via gametype with it. And best of all, its free http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=606559

Comment

Working...
                              X