This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Online Play Dead?

Alright I have been lurking on the UT3 forums for a couple days now, and played the demo for the game. The game LOOKS GREAT AND PLAYS GREAT, but the impression I get from the forums is that the game basically has no player population. No players to speak of and only a couple populated servers up at any given time across any platform. Unreal Tournament 3 for PC, 360, and PS3 all appear, from what I can gather, to be a ghost town online.

That is the one thing holding both my brother and I back from getting this game. Don't want to throw down $20 plus only to find we will only be playing against bots.

How true is this? Is it really this bad? I know a lot of you hate the "Halo" word or something similar but I find it hard to believe that, THAT game has around 250,000 people playing it every night on LIVE and not even 100 play this game each night online. Especially when the game play for UT3 is FAR SUPERIOR to the vast majority of the competition out there.

not dead ,VCTF sever is lot and funny

Comment

As for halo, compared to any Unreal game, halo requires far less skill. You have you little floatly dude man and you just jump and hover and throw a grenade and boom, you got a kill. Unreal Tournament "insert number here" is a lot more skill based, it is also faster paced. Most people suck at ut, so they do not like the game and move on to an easy game.

As for player count, there aren't tons of full servers, but you can always find more than one server full for any gametype, and for warfare, vctf, and dm there are always around 4 active servers if not more. We have a major expansion coming (no date announced yet) but that will hopefully boost the player counts. Hope you end up getting ut3, its an amazing game with just a few bugs that hold most people back, (which will hopefully get smoothed over in the expansion). Happy fragging!

Comment

there was so much expectation before it came out. who knew the demo game would be similar to the 'final' version. RC7 anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
          As for halo, compared to any Unreal game, halo requires far less skill. You have you little floatly dude man and you just jump and hover and throw a grenade and boom, you got a kill. Unreal Tournament "insert number here" is a lot more skill based, it is also faster paced. Most people suck at ut, so they do not like the game and move on to an easy game.

As for player count, there aren't tons of full servers, but you can always find more than one server full for any gametype, and for warfare, vctf, and dm there are always around 4 active servers if not more. We have a major expansion coming (no date announced yet) but that will hopefully boost the player counts. Hope you end up getting ut3, its an amazing game with just a few bugs that hold most people back, (which will hopefully get smoothed over in the expansion). Happy fragging!
          *When I say suck at ut, I mean when they start off, they are not good at all, so they get frustrated and quit. If you keep playing and learn the weapons and maps then slowly but surely you will become quite good at the game.

Comment

Get the game. There is a very dedicated core community of players. I and many others play online almost every day. There are many more players who play only several times a week, and other casual type players on weekends or days off.

When you do go online to play, do not be afraid to get killed alot. That happens to everyone when they start. This is a game of skill and experience. It takes a while to learn the skills and knowledge required to play well. Just hang in there and do not give up. I see many players today who have come a very long way since I first saw them online. The more you play, the more you will learn. vCTF has the most active servers and may be the best way to start online play. DM is an ultra challenging format with so many "pro" level players. Warfare is the most complex game type and requires strategy and teamwork.

This game is the most fun you can have without exchanging body fluids.

Comment

i wont stroke ut3's ego, but lets be real. 30 servers with people in them at most times isnt a active community its a sad story that requires a violin solo to be played the background

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                lmao . I couldn't agree more. I had the PC version but switched to X360 and as I've finished the OC campaign once more 5 minutes ago I'm off to play on Xbox LIVE. This game will keep you occupied for months, and if you intend to play it with your brother, if you have an X360 I would recomend to buy this version, 2 player split screen + online means twice the fun you have when playing single. The Unreal series have always been on top of online gaming, and I believe that this release is the best. You won't find a huge number of players online but hey, who gives a **** if there are 5, or 50 servers with full crew. Just pick one and play. Gl hf!

Comment

there are always enough people to have a few good games all the time. there is never a lull so i never get bored. =)

Comment

Buy it, play it, support a follow up and get ready to have an insanely high death count when you go online. If you stick with and practice a lot you will be surprised at how fast you can get your skill up. It's by no means easy but depending on your preferred gametype you should be able to find games easily. I'm a duel player mainly which is possibly the least active gametype but it's still easy enough to find a game. It's also the best way to learn the basics of deathmatch imo.

Jump in and learn. There is an incredible amount of fun to be had with this game if you like seeing yourself progress in skill. An advantage of a small community is that it is very easy to make friends and find regulars to play with. For the most part people are very friendly (at least in the servers i visit).

Happy fragging

Comment

The stock game sucks. The weapons and vehicles are boring to say the least. If you want a good custom PC server with custom weapons, vehicles, & maps I got one word for you. HEDSTEEM. We have the best VCTF server on the planet and a TDM/VTDM server with custom stuff too. We just added my Scorcher Flamethrower to both servers as well as a ton of vehicle fixes and upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                        Get the game. There is a very dedicated core community of players. I and many others play online almost every day. There are many more players who play only several times a week, and other casual type players on weekends or days off.

When you do go online to play, do not be afraid to get killed alot. That happens to everyone when they start. This is a game of skill and experience. It takes a while to learn the skills and knowledge required to play well. Just hang in there and do not give up. I see many players today who have come a very long way since I first saw them online. The more you play, the more you will learn. vCTF has the most active servers and may be the best way to start online play. DM is an ultra challenging format with so many "pro" level players. Warfare is the most complex game type and requires strategy and teamwork.

Definitely some good advice there. I would like to actually play this game online for more than 5 minutes. This is because my ping is usually tolerable for about 5 minute stretches. Usually about 80-90ish. Then after a certain length of time, my ping goes up to about 300-900 and will stay that way for a long time, then it goes back down momentarily. The process repeats, and that is why I have chosen mapping and LAN parties with this game.

My connection is almost always at 1.5Mbs down and up, but the ping is horrible and unstable most of the time...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies fellas! Appreciate it and nice to see some support for the game!

As far as what system we would be buying it for...
                          I'm a PC Gamer myself but my brother is usually a 360 player, so we'll probably end up buying it for the 360. Just because I have a 360 also and my brother's computer (which actually is my old computer from 2004) probably would not be able to run the game very well. At the time it was state-of-the-art but nowadays with how fast technology moves, it wouldn't be able to keep up. It could play some mean Doom 3 though, back in the day. But I dunno, I might end up buying it for PC as well at least for myself, it's pretty cheap at the moment, $20 from D2D. Plus, like has been said, you get mods then.

Hope to see you guys on the servers!! 360 and PC!! Merry Fragging!

Comment

just a suggestion but instead of posting about if anyone is playing or not, get the game, it costs less than 20 bucks and play if the $ is too much to risk in your opinion then ya probably shoudlnt spend it anyway... come play! UT3 rocks and hopefully the expansion will add alot to the game and # of players! don't mind the whining about problems and lack of players... sure we'd all like more ppl playing but if you wanna have fun, its there ta be had.

Comment

Grrl, a suggestion like that would only harden a person against buying the game. Saying that if the money is to much I shouldn't even play and then in the next sentence saying I should come play isn't very conducive.

I only posted this in response to the many posts I have found around this forum saying that this game is dead, the servers are empty and etc. Hell Epic/Midway seems to have pulled their servers. One post in particular mentioned that all day the guy could only find two full servers. No on challenged him on that fact either. A guy then came up in the next post and said, so the PC scene is as bad as the PS3 scene eh, unhappy face. Due to all these posts I would be stupid to buy the game even if it is only 20 bucks, especially one that revolves around online play, that to an outsider appears dead or on it's last legs, without getting some more information. Only 20 bucks but no reason to waste it when I could spend it on something else.

I'm of the opinion that A LOT of potential customers come to these forums, lurk, see all these negative posts without any criticism, and then don't buy the game, due to it appearing as there are very few people to play against or that support it. My suggestion is, that when you see these posts, don't just ignore them, respond to them, saying hey the game isn't dead, there are many servers available, all with people, across all the game types. Because a potential customer and an addition to the player base (which would probably end up bringing 5 or so friends to play with him, who would have to buy it too) will not ignore these posts.

Just a suggestion and yes I probably will be buying the game still, the game play rocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X