Again: Mutators and ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    up to a point they will, but when you are working on improving something and the thing doesn't add its very annoying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bclagge View Post
    Stats (and the ranking system) are for fun........ who are you (or i hax, emigem, or whoever else) to say what people should enjoy doing?
    Exactly. Statements like 'stats will not help you become better at the game, nor will they highlight areas you need to improve' implicitly assume that everyone's goal is to become a leetz0r player. Many people just like to increase their stats in certain categories, and if that keeps them coming back to UT3 and increasing the regular player base of the game, then that's good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    reason why ranking like this will never work
    1. you play random people
    2. high ranks get punished for killing low ranks (added to above thats stupid in itself)
    3. i have played well in 7-8+ games and fallen 100's of places because of the 2 above, the problem top 150 brings to the table usualy (ended up mid 300's)
    4. noobs climb rapidly because of the high players
    then you just get a build up of ranks (in pure i gained 4 ELO and climbed 50 places O.O) that isn't even fair on the good players because of the penaltys in #2 isn't nullified by sprees and other things in the game. so you end up with a huge congestion in the rankings which mean you need more rank to sustain a position (2 months ago the requirement for 350 on custom was top 100)
    bots dont effect ELO unless they kill you do they?
    and if players are playing bots on a public server just call an admin, its unfair on players that will join the game

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Enjoy them all you want, but please don't try and say they help you improve your game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
    Stats.... Who really cares? Admit it.....They're just to stoke your ego. Do you really look and say "Wow, I need to get better at EagleEye"???? How can that possibly help you? Then people complain about Titan Team Fix. You know what's really sad? Joining epic server 2 Torlan, seeing 9 people on it.... and they are all on one team playing against bots. Now that my friends, is sad. Or worse yet, theres one guy over there and nobody switches. So you type "I'm switching, who's with me?" and all you get back is "Have Fun". So you switch, then continue to type comments like "Is anyone going to switch" or "C'mon guys, lets do something about these teams" and you get back.....NOTHING! Where is the fun? The sportsmanship? What is the point of 9-12 players beating on Bots over and over and over on the same freaking map even? Titan Team fix is, unfortunately, very necessary. Why? To combat the rash of stat whoring pickleweasels who seem to pop up everywhere. Stats are, as Rek said, "Borked". There is no possible way anyone can convince me they are in any way useful. They will NOT help your game, they will NOT help you become a better player. All they will do, if you let them, is alter the way you play, and NOT in a way that helps your TEAM, but in a way that helps yourself, and improves your borked stats. ELO is a system developed for chess players, they play one game only, with the same objectives each time. They play solo each time, with no teammates. There are a finite number of moves that can be made. ELO does NOT translate to a team based game. Just flat out DOES NOT. If you play only Duel, perhaps. Otherwise, you're kidding yourself.
    Stats (and the ranking system) are for fun........ who are you (or i hax, emigem, or whoever else) to say what people should enjoy doing?

Also, that problem you describe above with 9 v 0: There is a stock server option - "Players balance teams."

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Stats.... Who really cares? Admit it.....They're just to stoke your ego. Do you really look and say "Wow, I need to get better at EagleEye"???? How can that possibly help you? Then people complain about Titan Team Fix. You know what's really sad? Joining epic server 2 Torlan, seeing 9 people on it.... and they are all on one team playing against bots. Now that my friends, is sad. Or worse yet, theres one guy over there and nobody switches. So you type "I'm switching, who's with me?" and all you get back is "Have Fun". So you switch, then continue to type comments like "Is anyone going to switch" or "C'mon guys, lets do something about these teams" and you get back.....NOTHING! Where is the fun? The sportsmanship? What is the point of 9-12 players beating on Bots over and over and over on the same freaking map even? Titan Team fix is, unfortunately, very necessary. Why? To combat the rash of stat whoring pickleweasels who seem to pop up everywhere. Stats are, as Rek said, "Borked". There is no possible way anyone can convince me they are in any way useful. They will NOT help your game, they will NOT help you become a better player. All they will do, if you let them, is alter the way you play, and NOT in a way that helps your TEAM, but in a way that helps yourself, and improves your borked stats. ELO is a system developed for chess players, they play one game only, with the same objectives each time. They play solo each time, with no teammates. There are a finite number of moves that can be made. ELO does NOT translate to a team based game. Just flat out DOES NOT. If you play only Duel, perhaps. Otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by i_hax View Post
    I should have said "ranking" not stats, I guess the stats are semi-useful (not sure what you could get out of them...?) but...

the ranking itself is complete garbage. As you can see from that guy, who is ranked in the thousands, and in reality is a top10 player.
    Yes, exactly. Let you're actual performance in-game do the talking of your ranking.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Luseferous View Post
    Strange, you post a guy's stats to prove that stats are useless.

Stats are not useless as you just demonstrated, the ones you linked show a good DM player. Ranking on the other hand is at best a very rough guide but still not useless.
    I should have said "ranking" not stats, I guess the stats are semi-useful (not sure what you could get out of them...?) but...

the ranking itself is complete garbage. As you can see from that guy, who is ranked in the thousands, and in reality is a top10 player.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rd View Post
    If the Epic EU servers were pure, then there would be no way for us to admin the servers from one place.
    I accept this, but isn't there any other possibility than using a mutator?
    Ok, I remember that I typed !admin one time when the server was extremely laggy and the game nearly unplayable.
    I think an admin came after 1 hour or so^^
    And often we don't see any admins comming after someone requested an admin.
    Then the users maybe think "Well, because of that feature (which is senseless because the admins come when they want - sometimes 1 hour later, sometimes never)
    my stats are custom, not pure".
    But this is another topic.
    That was no offence against admins.
    Maybe they come very quickly when I'm not on the server, who knows

Greets

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the stats are meaningless as soon as 1 game isn't counted, as they are no innacurate

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NuForce View Post
    The only "worthless ****" around here is you and your attitude toward the modding community. If you want "pure" then unplug your internet connection, set the bots to max and play the single player version over and over again.

Nu

You need to develop reading and comprehension levels beyond that of a 5 year old. My post wasn't an attack on modders, rather, it was an expression of my disdain towards the superfluous **** that people put on their servers. I even made that explicit, how can you be so severely lacking in basic English skills to not see that and instead think I was attacking the modding community? R3porter is useless, I've used it before and had no response from an admin. The proper way to admin servers is to actually have admins in them - see UMG. The mutator 'Server advertisements' is equally useless (evidently, much like your ability to interpret basic expressions) since there is already a space for server descriptions under one of the tabs in-game.

As for this 'downs' inspired comment: "If you want "pure" then unplug your internet connection, set the bots to max and play the single player version over and over again." Why don't you go and take a look at the fact that the US servers which are thriving right now are pure. Perhaps you should tell everyone there to 'unplug' their internet. Ironically, most of the time it's the people who play with a wide range of mutators that need to, and do, resort to offline play, and not the people who want pure servers. So you really need to think before you spurt out more rubbish from that garbage bin of yours.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To give you an idea how useless the stats are, guys such as http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats.php?id=124984241 could beat any player on the top50 list without dying...
    Strange, you post a guy's stats to prove that stats are useless.

Stats are not useless as you just demonstrated, the ones you linked show a good DM player. Ranking on the other hand is at best a very rough guide but still not useless.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by phalanx View Post
    also with the seperate, a good player in pure may never have played custom, a player who plays custom is ranked 100 or so, the pure player is the same on pure.. the pure player is ranked say 20k in custom as a result of not playing, the 100th place guy in custom will lose rank in that game just for playing even though the 2 players skills are the same, the game is the same (just with mutators that don't effect the game), but the regular custom player is screwed out of rank by the system.
    OR you could not care about the stats, because they are useless. There is only 1 player on the top50 list who is actually good (elix1)... all the truly skilled players aren't on that list.

To give you an idea how useless the stats are, guys such as http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats.php?id=124984241 could beat any player on the top50 list without dying...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If the Epic EU servers were pure, then there would be no way for us to admin the servers from one place.

So because they're admined, you have your stats in Custom.

Not that it matters ELO isn't exactly the greatest way to rank such a game. If you've lost stats, its probably due to you disconnecting before the game actually ended.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by H3i53nb3rg View Post
    The only Epic servers I consider to be official are the ones without 'Midway' in the name, and they're the US Epic servers. These don't have mutators because they're not run by corrupt admins who use the Epic name to advertise their own worthless **** with 'server advertisements' and 'r3porter' (which is useless anyway, I've tried using it before). So the official Epic servers are pure.
    First off... the beauty of the UT engine(s) is that you could always modify play to make the game more interesting. The original game got boring really fast. Thank GOD for groups like Hedsteem that have great modders that make the game why more fun and interesting than the original concept.

Second... I'm not sure if you've noticed but, Epic shutdown all of their "pure" servers.

The only "worthless ****" around here is you and your attitude toward the modding community. If you want "pure" then unplug your internet connection, set the bots to max and play the single player version over and over again.

Nu

Leave a comment:

Working...
X