X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again: Mutators and ranking

Hi guys,
    I have an idea.
    Every server, which uses any mutators, counts to a custom server.
    The problem is that even official European Epic servers are custom servers.
    However, they don't use any mutators which affect the gameplay.

Isn't it possible to create something like an exception list?
    Every mutator which is in that list won't cause the server beeing custom.
    That "list" can just be integrated in UT3's code.
    (Won't be that problem.)

Many players (me, too) complain about this problem because European Epic servers are pretty popular I think.
    But why not pure stats?

As said:
    The Reporter and the Server ads do not affect the gameplay.
    There is no logic that servers will count to custom servers if they use these 2 mutators.

Make at least the official servers pure, doesn't matter how.
    It only was a piece of advice that these 2 mutators could be an exception.
    Well, if you ask me, just remove those 2 mutators.
    But Epic never will do it...

What do you think?

Greets

there is a mutator wich makes custom servers pure i hear. i think dfg have it, but yea there are hardly any more servers left

Comment

Or you could just not care about your rank and just have fun playing the game and it's mutators (Really, if there where no stats UT3 wouldn't be so dead. the default servers are getting boring, and noone wants to play on servers with special content because it won't show up in their rankings...)

Comment

rank is useless anyway, when it doesn't add games regardless of which server type it is, its instantly innacurate for any purpose, just ignore it

Comment

wasn't there a command line parameter IsPure=True?
          don't know if this will also cause the server to upload stats as pure stats..

if that works it should be an easy 'fix'

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
            Make at least the official servers pure, doesn't matter how.

What do you think?
            The only Epic servers I consider to be official are the ones without 'Midway' in the name, and they're the US Epic servers. These don't have mutators because they're not run by corrupt admins who use the Epic name to advertise their own worthless **** with 'server advertisements' and 'r3porter' (which is useless anyway, I've tried using it before). So the official Epic servers are pure.

Also what sort of twisted logic would inspire this gem of an argument: "Or you could just not care about your rank and just have fun playing the game and it's mutators." Uh buddy, as you said people should be having fun playing the game. Just because you don't find stats to be a fun aspect of the game, it doesn't mean others don't. Likewise, not everyone finds mutators fun. Many people enjoy the vanilla game just the way it is.

Originally posted by Ronvdl View Post
            wasn't there a command line parameter IsPure=True?
            don't know if this will also cause the server to upload stats as pure stats..

if that works it should be an easy 'fix'
            That just makes the server show up on the pure server listings in the server browser. However, there is one server that I know of which runs mutators and records stats as pure. So it is possible to run a server with mutators and still retain the ability to log server stats under the pure listings.

Comment

This has been brought up before. The TTF mutator on the UMG server made it pretty clear. So I added it to the 1.4 threads.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...&postcount=724

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
              Fix the definitions of "pure" and "custom" servers

The definition of "pure" is way too rigid. The mutators used such as Titan Team fix, GOW_Justice, Double_Dodge, UT3 comp, anti cheat, etc, should be OK in the "pure" definition. Then the UMG, pub, and the euro midway servers would be pure again. Those mutators do not change the game play,

Only the mutators that change game play, instagib, low gravity, different weapons, different rules, etc, should trigger the "custom" definition. Not stuff like adverts and team fixing.

and

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...&postcount=727

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
              UT2004 had a whitelist of mutators that would be disregarded for the purpose of determining "pure". UT3 should go back to doing that.
              Yes, I agree. I also think this is a very critical thing issue now that we are between patches. I think this needs to happen before the next patch. I would think GameSpy should be able to just start doing this once EPIC told them to..

They should just have the servers with minor mutators count as both pure and custom as far as the stats goes. That would make everyone happy. The custom or pure tag would no longer scare players away from joining a particular server..

This would help unite the community over time as those custom stats would start increasing for those who previously only played pure and ditto for the pure stats of those who only played custom.
              I think it's a good idea to keep bringing this up. This is an important issue.

(When the UMG dumped TTF, I pretty much forgot about it.)

Comment

Originally posted by scribly View Post
                Or you could just not care about your rank and just have fun playing the game and it's mutators )
                But then any awards are pointless for me.
                Yesterday I was a Node Buster and I thought it is really cool.
                But after this I thought this doesn't matter because the server is not pure.
                I don't always check my stats but I really would like it to have every award.
                Or things like core damage and so on: everything completely useless since I always play on Epic servers.

Originally posted by H3i53nb3rg View Post
                The only Epic servers I consider to be official are the ones without 'Midway' in the name, and they're the US Epic servers. So the official Epic servers are pure.
                OK, then I should have written "Official European Epic servers"
                Hm would be impossible for me to play on the US servers
                I even got a ping of around 100 (most time higher) on EU servers.
                P.S. I've edited my 1st post^^

This has been brought up before. The TTF mutator on the UMG server made it pretty clear. So I added it to the 1.4 threads.
                Yes I think it is a good idea to add it in the 1.4 thread as well.
                I already wanted to update this thread some weeks ago
                I think it's about time!

Greets

Comment

Rank doesn't matter anyway. If Epic wanted to make it more appropriate for their next games they should separate all the gametypes so you gain stats not globally but for your preferred gametype.

However Rank doesn't really tell you anything. It's all down to performance.

Comment

@Nightmare85

Your stats are still recorded under the 'custom' tab though I agree the current setup is pretty pointless.

To those that say stats are useless, If implemented in a reasonable manner they are not. They give you a pretty good idea of how you are progressing in the game and where your weaknesses lay. On the otherhand if you just spawn kill and use other stats padding exploits then they do become fairly irrelevant as then they just show how good you are at stats padding not playing the game.

Comment

pure or not, i don't think useless is quite the descriptive, because you hear and award(godlike,node buster, eagle eye, what evs), and YOU get that instant cheap gratification. yeah, i would like it to be persistent, like so many other games and their cheevo tracking bells and hoopla, but YOU still get it. i don't really need to know how many times i get to hear "roadkill" while i do doughnuts on some poor guys head. i just know it feels really nice when it happens.

on the other hand, how about comprehensive, per shots fired,accuracy and damage stats by wep/ i'd love that. ala duel stats, but i'm still playing.

the stats system is seriously borked, but it's the last thing on my mind when i'm actually playing.

Comment

yea but so far things that havn't added by stats
                        2 massacres
                        1 headhunter

where did they go? if the stats are going to be anywhere near accurate they have to add everything my KpG is around 21, so massacres not adding is a big thing to get an accurate picture generally, epeccially as game where you join for last minute or 2 hauls it down (and knocks off rank, because you not done much).
                        also doesnt help that when you get to top 300 odd you lose rank for killing half the time and things like sprees dont recover the differance (losing rank points for a massacre = heap of pointless waste of time)
                        they do need more for CTF games, no flags picked up, no distance traveled with flag, you can pick up and either get knocked off hoverboard or killed so a teamate steals your cap, the flawed thing is, you can pick up many times, but never cap, it never shows up that you acctually try
                        and warfare last second save is the same as CTF's too on stats. so uncomparable
                        hellbenders add to shock turret, again stupid
                        there seems to be no "punishment" rank wise for killing people with amed vehicles and deemers, people who are killed by this lose the same rank they would normally, should at least be halfed, with bonus for killing someone using them or denying the deemer (not seen any ELO for denied)
                        i personnaly would love a game by game breakdown of what i have done, see where i gained and lost, then i can work out what i need to improve on

Comment

@Luseferous:
                          Yes, but I do not care very much about the custom ranks.
                          I mean I still play pure even if the server is custom, because the gameplay is pure.
                          Custom means for me something like InstaGib, Low gravity or something other.
                          And the pure stats seem more complicate for me.
                          (I had a very good custom rank, but I'm interested in my pure rank^^)

@phalanx:
                          Yes, some stats are definitely not stored.
                          I remember I got some times the "Big Game Hunter".
                          But my stats say another thing:
                          Pure: 0, Custom: 1 (was the last time when I checked it).
                          So where are the others??
                          (And yes, I checked it some days after too, no change).

Edit:
                          Mmmhh I just checked my rank @ http://www.dfbgaming.com/ut3_stats/
                          and it says Pure:1, Custom: 3.
                          So I guess that awards have been saved after all!
                          But I'll check it ingame, too.

@Tweakd:
                          Man, everyone's own opinion.
                          I don't play for the rank.
                          However, it is only a half feature for me!
                          Either they manage it smartly or they leave them completely out!
                          Maybe Epic did not think about the problem "Reporter+Server ads=not pure".
                          Who knows?
                          Or maybe they thought that it is enough to put them into the custom rank.

-----

Well, another example:
                          Someone plays on any custom servers:
                          Low gravity, InstaGib and any other gameplay changing servers.
                          And I play on official EU Epic servers without any gameplay modification.
                          His stats and my stats are in the same category - that sux!

Greets

Comment

also with the seperate, a good player in pure may never have played custom, a player who plays custom is ranked 100 or so, the pure player is the same on pure.. the pure player is ranked say 20k in custom as a result of not playing, the 100th place guy in custom will lose rank in that game just for playing even though the 2 players skills are the same, the game is the same (just with mutators that don't effect the game), but the regular custom player is screwed out of rank by the system.

Comment

what is pure / custom server i play on ps3 (psn) and does the ut logo mean it,s pure server ??? sorry for bad english and wrong place for puestion i,m new (be) in ut3 (i like it sofar )

Comment

Working...
                              X