How to bring back PS3 players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to bring back PS3 players?

What do you consider that would bring back PS3 people that gave up of UT3, without conflicting with your game experience?

I'm just curious ...

Edit: found this thread: http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...hread.id=18161

"Laggy servers"
    "When I played last year, I completely dominated this game. I think people were frustrated getting owned so they quit. I had scores where I was 60-0."
    "clans are the way to go in this game if you want to be in a battle. most pub servers become too one sided and soon everyone from one side leaves."
    "I will say though that if the mods were pushed more and implemented better it would have had a great deal of more success. I love the mods and have a ton installed but the process turned off a lot of people."

interesting ...

In my experience, the last patch made the game pretty much lagless. By then, most people had given up, though.

The fussy way of installing mods didn't help. I don't know why they didn't make it so that any file name with the .JAM extension could be used. An in-game mod browser would also have helped.

Comment

lol, I have been a bit of a quitter since the last six weeks aswell...

the "problem" on the PS3 for me is, there are more great games than just this one ... and I want to play them aswell ... but since I got limited time and can't sit in front of the TV all day, I gotta switch to other games aswell...

Comment

Where do you even start...
        The PS3 version is a joke compared to the PC version. It's still missing features the PC version got almost a year ago and at this point it really seems like Epic doesn't care. PC players complained about being BETA testers for the console version, but they couldn't have done a very good job considering the PS3 version was released with all the bugs of the PC version and then a whole host of other console specific bugs.

Anyway, most players didn't have a good way to learn the game. People went online in overcrowded servers of people with bad connections and essentially rocket spammed in laggy rooms. They then they complained about the spamminess and lag and stopped playing. The campaign was useless as a tutorial; unless you had played UT games before there was nothing to teach you about the intricacies of the game (shock combos, wall dodges, dodge jumps, hammer jumps, how to use all the secondary firing modes properly, Item spawn times, all the little quirks and abilities of the vehicles). People played the game in a shallow way and thus assumed it was a shallow game and gave up on it. That's reason #1.

Then there are the people that still liked the game but were faced with a huge lack of features and glitch, after glitch, after glitch.
        -There were times were I would try to join quite a few completely different servers and my PS3 would freeze and crash upon attempting to enter them (there was a point where I just gave up playing vCTF completely because it happened way too much in servers of that mode)
        -Mics didn't work for the first few months of release (more than long enough for the 6 friends I convinced to buy the game with me on release to get tired of it and stop playing)
        -There were a ton of issues with joining servers and hosting (I remember one point where we were trying to host a 3v3 clan match and no matter who hosted the server there was someone who would have a connection issue and not be able to join (shame too since I really wanted to play a proper clan match vs oWo))
        -The lack of splitscreen even though it was a feature promised prior to release
        -The inability to have clan tags (I know people with half a dozen separate accounts because they had to make a new one everytime they joined a clan)
        -The fact that there were no party or leveling up systems that people are used to now meant that it was hard to get into a game with friends and noobs that were getting killed all the time had no incentive to keep playing (unlike in CoD4 where even if you did get your *** handed to you, you would level up eventually and still have some sense of accomplishment)
        -There were no options to turn off the annoying auto-aim
        I could go on listing for days, but simply put, the experience on PS3 was less than ideal.

On top of that, as Tolstoy mentioned, mods were horribly implemented. You need to put the maps in a complicated folder structure (which they eventually changed, which just made it worse since all the tutorials online were still based on the folder structure), you could only upload one map at a time, there was no way to set up redirect servers to help distribute maps. Even PC players are too lazy to deal with custom maps, this problem was 10 fold for PS3 players. Then there are all the issues that mods had. Custom characters **** near screwed up the game (rainbow textures on levels, invisible characters, etc), mods would sometimes conflict with each other and a whole host of other little problems. This would probably be the third major reason people stopped playing.

Most of the people that played through all of those problems slowly started to quit due to the low number of players and other, more polished games.

I think epic really blew their chance with UT3 on consoles since this was a lot of peoples first experience with the game and it was not pleasant, bringing them back wont be easy.

To bring back players:
        They need to fix all the little bugs still floating around (even after patch 1.2 there are still obvious bugs like missing textures from vehicle bullets in custom maps, hanging on the loading screen and stability issues with custom character models)

They need to teach new players how to play, run them through the basics in the campaign, provide them with an in-game encyclopedia of stats, facts and strategies, when people get better at this game they have a lot more fun than just rocket/flak spamming

Improve mod implementation, allow the uploading of more than one mod, add a mod browser, etc

The game needs to get par features for online gaming today. Clan/Clan Tag support, Party Support, Leveling up, Achivements/Trophies, matchmaking, etc

The game needs a re-release. Even though quite a bit of the launch issues have been fixed no one is coming back since the game is essentially dead. This is why I hope the expansion is a separate purchase (though at a discount price like $30 or less) and that they market it enough to generate some buzz. If all goes well, maybe they can actually get a decent community going this time.

When you look at the request list (http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=624127) most of the requests aren't that outrageous and are generally things you'd expect the game to already have at launch, not for people to be wishing for a year after release.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
          To bring back players:
          They need to fix all the little bugs still floating around (even after patch 1.3 there are still obvious bugs like missing textures from vehicle bullets in custom maps, hanging on the loading screen and stability issues with custom character models)
          1.3??? Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by Eew View Post
            1.3??? Did I miss something?
            ah, my bad, 1.2

Comment

in ut99 and ut2004 the was a train game where is that in ut3
              i really hope the expansion will chang thing if not i leaf the game for good

Comment

Where do you even start... The PS3 version is a joke compared to the PC version. It's still missing features the PC version got almost a year ago and at this point it really seems like Epis doesn't care. PC players complained about being BETA testers for the console version, but they couldn't have done a very good job considering the PS3 version was released with all the bugs of the PC version and then a whole host of console specific bugs.

Anyway what happened with most players was that there is no easy way to learn the game, people went online to overcrowded servers of people with already bad connections and essentially rocket spammed in laggy rooms. Then they complained about the spamminess and lag and stopped playing. The campaign was useless, unless you had played UT games before there was nothing to teach you about the intricacies of the game (shock combos, wall dodges, dodge jumps, hammer jumps, how to use all the secondary firing modes properly, Item spawn times, all the little quirks and abilities of the vehicles) so people played the game in a shallow way and thus assumed it was a shallow game. That's reason #1.

Then there are the people that still like the game but were faced with a huge lack of features and glitch, after glitch, after glitch. There were times were I would try to join 3 completely different servers and my PS3 would freeze and crash upon attempting to enter them (there was a point where I just gave up playing vCTF completely because it happened way too much in servers of that mode), mics didn't work for the first few months of release (more than long enough for the 6 friends I convinced to buy the game with me on release to get tired of it and stop playing), there were a ton of issues with joining servers and hosting (I remember one point where we were trying to host a 3v3 clan match and no matter who hosted the server there was someone who would have a connection issue and not be able to join (shame too since I really wanted to play a proper clan match vs oWo)), the lack of splitscreen even though it was a feature promised prior to release, the in ability to have clan tags (I know people with half a dozen separate accounts because they had to make a new one everytime they joined a clan). The fact that there were no party or leveling up systems that people are used to now meant that it was hard to get into a game with friends and noobs that were getting killed all the time had no incentive to keep playing (unlike in CoD4 where even if you did get your *** handed to you, you would level up eventually and still have some sense of accomplishment). There were no options to turn off the annoying auto-aim. I could go on listing for days, but simply put, the experience on PS3 was less than ideal.

On top of that, as Tolstoy mentioned, mods were horribly implemented. You need to put the maps in a complicated folder structure (which they eventually changed, which just made it worse since all the tutorials online were still based on the folder structure), you could only upload one map at a time, there was no way to set up redirect servers to help distribute maps. Even PC players are too lazy to deal with custom maps, this problem was 10 fold for PS3 players. Then there are all the issues that mods had. Custom characters **** near screwed up the game (rainbow textures on levels, invisible characters, etc), mods would sometimes conflict with each other and a whole host of other little problems. This would probably be the third major reason people stopped playing.

Most of the people that played through all of those problems started to quite due to the low number of players and other, more polished games.

I think epic really blew thier chance with UT3 on consoles since this was a lot of peoples first experience with the game and it was not pleasant, bringing them back wont be easy.

To bring back players:
                They need to fix all the little bugs still floating around (even after patch 1.2 there are still obvious bugs like missing textures from vehicle bullets in custom maps, hanging on the loading screen and stability issues with custom character models)

They need to teach new players how to play, run them through the basics in the campaign, provide them with an in-game encyclopedia of stats, facts and strategies, when people get better at this game they have a lot more fun than just rocket/flak spamming

Improve mod implementation, allow the uploading of more than one mod, add a mod browser, etc

The game needs to get par features for online gaming today. Clan/Clan Tag support, Party Support, Leveling up, Achivements/Trophies, matchmaking, etc

The game needs a re-release. Even though quite a bit of the launch issues have been fixed no one is coming back since the game is essentially dead. This is why I hope the expansion is a separate purchase (though at a discount price like $30 or less) and that they market it enough to generate some buzz. If all goes well, maybe they can actually get a decent community going this time.

When you look at the request list (http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=624127) most of the requests aren't that outrageous and are generally things you'd expect the game to already have at launch, not for people to be wishing for a year after release.
                This is a great summation of all the problems console players had/have! The thing that really struck a chord with me was the lack of proper training in the campaign for all of the many things that are possible. I never even knew there WAS such a thing as wall dodging and impact hammer jumping until I saw someone talk about it on these forums. It was a real eye-opener to see some of videos (mostly of pc players) and the amazing things they could do - things I NEVER saw people doing on the console version of the game. UT3 is the only game I have ever played in the whole series of Unreal and UT games and unless you played any of these previous games you would never know any of these things are possible.

Comment

Wow, after rereading what I originally wrote again, it looks badly written and disorganized (not to mention full of grammatical and spelling errors). That's what I get for making a large post first thing in the morning after 4 hours of sleep.

Comment

I love Ut3 on the ps3 , but players will not come back right away, COD 5 is out COD 4 is still heavily used, resistance 2 has gained alot of players online and killzone 2 is coming out in Feb. Console players will switch back and forth from all these games. I choose Ut3 over them all because i love the arenas used and the weapons at my disposal. Sadly, not everyone thinks like me nor should they, so in the end you have to hope people pick ut3 as their favourite. I think someone on the forums wrote about putting marketing for ut3 on the home beta for playstation, i think that would help out on sales for epic and possibly intice new competition to pick up a copy and give it a go.

Also ( and i know ill get flamed for this) i could care less about trophies, honestly all i care about is getting better at Ut3 , and the only achievements i want is monster kills

Comment

Originally posted by K2MONEY View Post
                      I love Ut3 on the ps3 , but players will not come back right away, COD 5 is out COD 4 is still heavily used, resistance 2 has gained alot of players online and killzone 2 is coming out in Feb. Console players will switch back and forth from all these games. I choose Ut3 over them all because i love the arenas used and the weapons at my disposal. Sadly, not everyone thinks like me nor should they, so in the end you have to hope people pick ut3 as their favourite. I think someone on the forums wrote about putting marketing for ut3 on the home beta for playstation, i think that would help out on sales for epic and possibly intice new competition to pick up a copy and give it a go.

Also ( and i know ill get flamed for this) i could care less about trophies, honestly all i care about is getting better at Ut3 , and the only achievements i want is monster kills

honestly you shouldnt get flamed for that trophies IMO are stupid ok yeah you accomplished something so what o0o you got a little trophy for it..so what i totally understand and i agree with you these new games coming out have taken the crowd away from ut3 but lets put it like this ..ut3 is a even playing field...so lets say a year from now someone buys ut3 plays it..they are on the same level playing field as the person who bought it release day...these new games and the level system is IMHO complete *** now lets say a person buys R2 a year from now...hes gunna get his *** whooped in a DM (if hes decent enough not so bad) from higher levels cause they have the bigger guns not fair...yeah he gets some exp for what he did..but.. come on...honestly

and one thing pretty much everyone is forgetting .. STOP THE **** DRAMA i can't even play the **** game without people talking trash about me i know im not the only player but seriously these people who talk trash are usually the garbage ones anyways so just get over it and just end the drama that alone would bring back alot of players

Comment

it's not the perfect game but, it's better than COD 4, i know iam going to hear a lot of things like leveling up, but to be honest who cares about that?.......
                        ut3 is a good game but i agree with tails still needs alot of work, but for now just play the game.

Comment

The PS3 version is seriously gimped, the people who left were smart enough to know better or have a PC that can handle UT3. The only way to get them back is to fix everything and i mean everything... When loading the game you get a warning, "Online Experience may be different then offline", take that warning seriously. Going from PC to PS3, it feels like someone stuck a sheet of glass over the game, blurred the image and then slowed it down just to mess with you... After all that, people actually start to join the server you are on... and then for every person that joins, you notice it that much more. By the time there is 16 people in the room you want to poke out your eyes and shove a turbo button up your characters a$$ ( seriously, who ever thought up "Hey lets slow down the PS3 version" should be shot and buried ). PS3 people, try the PC version for 2 weeks and i bet you won't even look at your ps3 disk again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harmerty View Post
                            The PS3 version is seriously gimped, the people who left were smart enough to know better or have a PC that can handle UT3. The only way to get them back is to fix everything and i mean everything... When loading the game you get a warning, "Online Experience may be different then offline", take that warning seriously. Going from PC to PS3, it feels like someone stuck a sheet of glass over the game, blurred the image and then slowed it down just to mess with you... After all that, people actually start to join the server you are on... and then for every person that joins, you notice it that much more. By the time there is 16 people in the room you want to poke out your eyes and shove a turbo button up your characters a$$ ( seriously, who ever thought up "Hey lets slow down the PS3 version" should be shot and buried ). PS3 people, try the PC version for 2 weeks and i bet you won't even look at your ps3 disk again!!
                            my 2 cents:

the ps3 version plays great for a console game.
                            the pc version plays like *** for a pc game.

the pc version is dead, and by dead i mean theres literally only 1 dm game to join and play in.

as far as lag with 16 players... the game sucks in general with 16 players regardless of lag or not

Comment

Where do you even start...
                              The PS3 version is a joke compared to the PC version. It's still missing features the PC version got almost a year ago and at this point it really seems like Epic doesn't care. PC players complained about being BETA testers for the console version, but they couldn't have done a very good job considering the PS3 version was released with all the bugs of the PC version and then a whole host of other console specific bugs.

Anyway, most players didn't have a good way to learn the game. People went online in overcrowded servers of people with bad connections and essentially rocket spammed in laggy rooms. They then they complained about the spamminess and lag and stopped playing. The campaign was useless as a tutorial; unless you had played UT games before there was nothing to teach you about the intricacies of the game (shock combos, wall dodges, dodge jumps, hammer jumps, how to use all the secondary firing modes properly, Item spawn times, all the little quirks and abilities of the vehicles). People played the game in a shallow way and thus assumed it was a shallow game and gave up on it. That's reason #1.

Then there are the people that still liked the game but were faced with a huge lack of features and glitch, after glitch, after glitch.
                              -There were times were I would try to join quite a few completely different servers and my PS3 would freeze and crash upon attempting to enter them (there was a point where I just gave up playing vCTF completely because it happened way too much in servers of that mode)
                              -Mics didn't work for the first few months of release (more than long enough for the 6 friends I convinced to buy the game with me on release to get tired of it and stop playing)
                              -There were a ton of issues with joining servers and hosting (I remember one point where we were trying to host a 3v3 clan match and no matter who hosted the server there was someone who would have a connection issue and not be able to join (shame too since I really wanted to play a proper clan match vs oWo))
                              -The lack of splitscreen even though it was a feature promised prior to release
                              -The inability to have clan tags (I know people with half a dozen separate accounts because they had to make a new one everytime they joined a clan)
                              -The fact that there were no party or leveling up systems that people are used to now meant that it was hard to get into a game with friends and noobs that were getting killed all the time had no incentive to keep playing (unlike in CoD4 where even if you did get your *** handed to you, you would level up eventually and still have some sense of accomplishment)
                              -There were no options to turn off the annoying auto-aim
                              I could go on listing for days, but simply put, the experience on PS3 was less than ideal.

Most of the people that played through all of those problems slowly started to quit due to the low number of players and other, more polished games.

I think epic really blew their chance with UT3 on consoles since this was a lot of peoples first experience with the game and it was not pleasant, bringing them back wont be easy.

To bring back players:

great post. this was my first time with ut and dispite all the bugs i stuck with it and will always stick with it. i would also like to say that a major thing they should work on is the UI. put anything and everything in there i say.

Comment

Working...
                              X