Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for feedback from hardcore PC FPS players regarding 360 ver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for feedback from hardcore PC FPS players regarding 360 ver.

Hey, so I want to pick up this game on Xbox 360, but I'm a little hesitant on getting it because I won't be able to use my beloved keyboard and mouse setup on the 360 (well, officially). So, how well do the pad controls work with this game? Also, can I fully configure the look sensitivity, like with UT2k4 on the PC? (ie: being able to fine tune the sensitivity instead of just having slow, medium, and fast presets)

And to those of you who are going to tell me to get the PS3 or PC version: I'd rather spend $30 for a good game with seemingly good controls than spend $500+ for a good game with excellent controls.

Have fun with thumbstick aiming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebo View Post
      Have fun with thumbstick aiming.
      I know, it's so cute.

Comment

If your PC could run UT3 well then get it for the PC which is the medium the game was originally intended for, anyway. You can probably buy the PC version cheaper than the console versions, too.

Comment

dude run the query in my sig before u listen to my advice...

play ut99 on the pc... any pc these days will run it... after that if u play it on a console... something is wrong... oh n ya i have a 360 and i play gears on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Raidou10k View Post
            Hey, so I want to pick up this game on Xbox 360, but I'm a little hesitant on getting it because I won't be able to use my beloved keyboard and mouse setup on the 360 (well, officially). So, how well do the pad controls work with this game? Also, can I fully configure the look sensitivity, like with UT2k4 on the PC? (ie: being able to fine tune the sensitivity instead of just having slow, medium, and fast presets)

And to those of you who are going to tell me to get the PS3 or PC version: I'd rather spend $30 for a good game with seemingly good controls than spend $500+ for a good game with excellent controls.
            I have the PC and PS3 versions and use a controller with both, I can't relate directly to to the 360 version though. On the PS3 it's possible to fully adjust sensitivity to your liking and the game controls like a dream with the controller. The only real nuisance on the consoles is the aim-assist that you'll notice screwing you up more often than helping but even that doesn't occur often enough to make it a huge deterrent. I'm not sure how big the community is on the 360 though (I've heard it's the smallest of the three), so that might be another pitfall.

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
            If your PC could run UT3 well then get it for the PC which is the medium the game was originally intended for, anyway. You can probably buy the PC version cheaper than the console versions, too.
            I'm just re-quoting that for you since you seem to have missed it in your first read through. Saving $15-$20 on the game means nothing when you have to throw in another $500+ to get a PC that'll run it the way you want.

Originally posted by Sam Stride View Post
            dude run the query in my sig before u listen to my advice...

play ut99 on the pc... any pc these days will run it... after that if u play it on a console... something is wrong... oh n ya i have a 360 and i play gears on it...
            If you read his post you'd see that he played UT2k4 on PC before. You PC elitists either really lack basic reading comprehension skills or you guys are getting lazy, either way it's sad. If you're gonna troll the kid at least put some effort into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
              I have the PC and PS3 versions and use a controller with both, I can't relate directly to to the 360 version though. On the PS3 it's possible to fully adjust sensitivity to your liking and the game controls like a dream with the controller.
              Well, if that's the case with the PS3 version, then I'm pretty sure they're not going to remove the ability to fully adjust sensitivity on the 360. Thanks for the reply; I'm glad there's one person here who has a long enough attention span to read through a paragraph of text.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised by the 360 version, and have only come to like it more with time. The controls are pretty easy to get used to and if you play long enough you'll start to get the hang of pulling running headshots. Also, there are FAR MORE PEOPLE playing on 360 than on PC. It's pathetic really, how lopsided it is.

That said, I still prefer the PC because its so much faster, m&kb, and looks better if you can run it even at 4/5. Still, if you love UT, and other console shooters, then I think you'll be very happy with it.

Comment

you might not have to shell out $$ on new pc if your willing to settle for lesser graphics, you might be able to just adjust graphics settings down and play on your existing rig. that's what i am doing and i'm doing ok with it and enjoying the game. depends on your rig.

just to give you a comparson, my pc rig plays ut2004 great. i have a 1.8 gz amd cpu with 1 gig memory and radeon 9800 card. in ut3 i have screen percentage set to about 50% ( i am able to go higher than that however and still play fairly well) and the graphics look ok (obviously not super duper though, but ok), and plays with a fair frame rate(25 - 50 depending on the map). i can feel lag during play, but despite that i usually do very well when i go online, so it's not enough lag to stop me from having lots of fun, and i do have lot's of fun and usually score pretty high in warfare . if your rig is any lesser than mine then i'd say just go with the console. personally i would not buy a new pc just to play ut3 with better graphics, i'm gonna wait till more games come along which i want to play which i can't run on my current rig, which atm is doing just fine for lot's o games .

i don't know if you care about playing custom mods or not, but another thing is if you go the console way you will have a more difficult time playing custom mods than with the pc version, as console has more technical limitations than pc for mod play.

Comment

Well, if that's the case with the PS3 version, then I'm pretty sure they're not going to remove the ability to fully adjust sensitivity on the 360. Thanks for the reply; I'm glad there's one person here who has a long enough attention span to read through a paragraph of text.
                    the 360 has far less options then the ps3 though

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                      If you read his post you'd see that he played UT2k4 on PC before. You PC elitists either really lack basic reading comprehension skills or you guys are getting lazy, either way it's sad. If you're gonna troll the kid at least put some effort into it.
                      well he never said he played ut99... and moreover the point i was trying to make is anyone who played ut99 on pc knows that ut has always been a pc game... the way its meant to be played

moreover he was asking hard core pc players... and being a hard core pc player for ut... i sincerely cannot recommend that game on a console... coz its slower and looks crappier when compared to a good performance PC.

Comment

Unless I see some proof, I would have to disagree and say that there are hardly any people playing the 360 version, especially compared to PC. I played on the 360 this past weekend with my friend, and for warfare, there were only like 8 servers, with a total of 24 players maybe, and the dm mode, only like 15 people. Proof or I laugh...

Comment

I play on both pretty much equal amount of time. On the 360 I never have a problem finding at least 3 servers with a fair amount of people for any gametype, except duel. On the PC, there is one WAR server to choose from if you live in NYC (the UMG server). In fact, I can basically list the only servers that ever have people:

UMG - for WAR
                          UMG - for VCTF
                          UMG - for DM
                          dFB - for VCTF
                          Liandri - for DM
                          UnrealGrrl - for CTF

and that's it. That's all I have to choose from everytime I play on the PC, aside from the random times some random server will actually have a couple people in it. But for laughs I'll try to take some ss's soon and post them to back this claim up.

Comment

Recently BGE and T5K have been really popular warfare servers. Check them out sometime.

Comment

The 360 version offers adjustment of turn speed and controller sensitivity. Between these two, it's possible to get accurate and fast tracking. If you're already good with a controller, then it should be easy to find a playable custom setting; if you're not, then the default setting is fairly well balanced.

Regarding the player base on the 360, when I played the PC version there were only one or two active servers per game type that I went to regularly and bookmarked in my Favorites list. There were times when I would log on and refresh over and over waiting for that one active CTF server to drop a player. It was annoying.

Though I've been told that there are less players on the 360, my direct experience would indicate the opposite if I didn't know any better. Unless the Midway servers are offline or it's the wee hours of the morning, I rarely have an issue finding a CTF match within a few minutes. UT3 on the 360 has been a much more pleasant experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X