Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyright question (Info for essay)

Hi everyone,

I’m a student who has been very interested in creating a mod character for Unreal and at the moment I have an assignment that has finally given me the chance to build a mod.
    The only downside is before I can get into the fun side of modelling out the character, I have to complete written work about why I am doing this and investigate copyrights.

So here is my question for anyone who is from Epic or someone who just knows about this kind of stuff.

1. When a 3d artist creates a character mod for UT or GOW who does the copyrights belong to?

2. Does Epic have copyrights that are against artists creating a mods and exchanging mods for profit?

3. Are there copyrights that prevent mod artists from creating the same mod for other game engines?

As far as I know anything you create is yours but when using the Unreal Editor for UT or GOW you have to agree to not sell your mod made using any part of the Editor.

Meaning: the model you create is your own but after you import it and rig it in Unreal Editor for use in UT or GOW you can't sell the character you created, but you still have copyright over the model you created in the 3D app and can do whatever you like to it.

Its just when rigged for one of Epic's games as a mod you can't sell the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamegrill View Post
      So here is my question for anyone who is from Epic or someone who just knows about this kind of stuff.

1. When a 3d artist creates a character mod for UT or GOW who does the copyrights belong to?

2. Does Epic have copyrights that are against artists creating a mods and exchanging mods for profit?

3. Are there copyrights that prevent mod artists from creating the same mod for other game engines?

1. The map/mod/character that you create is your intellectual property and you own the copyright to it.

2. However, when you use the Unreal Editor to create your map/mod/character -- so that it will function in the game -- there is more content in the final product than just your creation. There is also the code/script that tells the game (the Unreal Engine) how to interact with your creation (even assuming that you did not also use any of the textures,etc., that are supplied with the Editor). This content is copyrighted by, and belongs to, Epic Games. Epic has granted you permission to use and distribute their material AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT CHARGE FOR IT, or otherwise realize a profit from it.

3. There is no reason why you could not port your map/mod/character to another game engine...as long as you did not take any of Epic's content (textures, for example) with you.

You can do whatever you like with what you create. You just need to be very careful in discerning the difference between your creation and the incorporation of someone else's work into your creation. If you put a skin on a character skeleton created by Epic, the skin is yours (as long as it doesn't have any elements provided by Epic), but the skeleton is Epic's. You can profit from the skin, but not from the 3-D character that has your skin wrapped around Epic's skeleton. However, since your skin probably won't fit properly around a skeleton from another game engine, if you wanted to port your skin to another game, you likely would have to recreate it to have it function correctly in the other game.

Ultimately, the way that you determine whether content is wholy own by yourself, and can be sold for a profit, or whether it is in part owned by Epic, and cannot be sold, is to hire a qualified copyright lawyer. Without proper legal advice, the only legally safe course of action when dealing with content created using the Unreal Editor is to assume that it CANNOT be sold...only distributed for free.

Comment

Where and what are you studying?

Comment

I'm studying a BA(Hons) Entertainment Media Design course in St Helens, I have chosen character modelling has my chosen field and I'm a fan of unreal games so I have always been looking for the chance to combined both. Part of the reason I have joined this site is to get in contact with other character artists who create mods for unreal.
          If you guys know any character mod artists please let me know, I have already made some concept work for my character idea so it would be great to share my ideas.

Comment

It might behoove you to read the UT3 EULA, as it would answer most, if not all, of your questions.

Commercial Exploitation. You may not use this game, or any Mods (we'll explain this term later on) created for this game or using the tools provided with this game, for any commercial purposes without the prior written consent of Epic including, but not limited to, the following rules. You may not, without prior written consent from Epic, operate the Software in any gaming contest where (a) the cash value of all winnings and prizes paid throughout the entire competition is equal to or greater than US$5,000.00 OR (b) the name of the event, or any individual contest therein, incorporates or approximates the name of a company, product or commercial service OR (c) any company has provided, whether donated or as sponsorship, prizes, products or services worth with a fair market value of over US$5,000.00 OR (d) you have indicated that Epic or Midway is a sponsor of such gaming contest...

...18. Editor and End‑User Mods.

(a) The Software (but not the Server-Only Software) includes an editor and associated tools and utilities (the "UnrealEd") which were developed by Epic and by other licensors of great software tools. UnrealEd is a really cool feature which allows you to modify the Software (but not the Server-Only Software) or to construct new variations for use with it. These modifications and variations can be both playable and non‑playable. UnrealEd is NOT shareware. You will not combine the Software with any software that is licensed under the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License or any other open source license agreement. You may not freely distribute it to any BBS, CD, floppy or any other media. You may not sell it or repackage it for sale. When you finish reading this License, you will see that there are additional licenses for specific software that is included as part of UnrealEd. Even though their tools are included in the Software, you must read and agree to those license terms before you can use the software that is specifically referenced.

(b) Using UnrealEd, you may create modifications or enhancements to the Software (but not the Server-Only Software), including the construction of new levels (collectively referred to as "Mods"), subject to the following restrictions:

i. Your Mods must only work with the full, registered copy of the Software, not independently or with any other software.

ii. Your Mods must not contain modifications to any executable file(s).

iii. Your Mods must not contain any libelous, defamatory, or other illegal material, material that is scandalous or invades the rights of privacy or publicity of any third party, nor may your Mods contain, or be used in conjunction with, any trademarks, copyright‑protected work, or other recognizable property of third parties, nor may your Mods be used by you, or anyone else, for any commercial exploitation including, but not limited to advertising or marketing for a company, product or service.

iv. Your Mods will not be supported by Epic, MIDWAY, our third party tool licensors or any of such parties' affiliates and subsidiaries, and if distributed pursuant to this License, your Mods must include a statement to such effect.

v. Your Mods must be distributed solely for free, period. Neither you, nor any other person or party, may sell them to anyone, commercially exploit them in any way, or charge anyone for receiving or using them without prior written consent from Epic and Midway. You may exchange them at no charge among other end‑users and distribute them to others over the Internet, on magazine cover disks, or otherwise for free.

vi. The prohibitions and restrictions in this section apply to anyone in possession of the Software or any of your Mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
              It might behoove you to read the UT3 EULA, as it would answer most, if not all, of your questions.
              HAHA. Touché

Comment

Thanks guys, you all gave me some really good info and if you don’t mind I will keep hold of your names and send you a link to my Blogger site with will display the project I am working on.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                  oh come on! nobody reads those things

Comment

Working...
                  X