Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choose your weapon.. a bridge between the games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choose your weapon.. a bridge between the games?

In another thread I was musing over ways in which UT could be made to feel more like a tournament, and enhancing the replay value of what up til now has been a pretty rudimentary ladder system. One of my ideas was that before each ladder match, the opponents are being introduced and stuff, and then someone comes out and you are shown a pad. This triggers a menu on your screen with a fullscreen view of this pad, and you can choose your starting weapon for the match. This idea can be taken even further though, and in a way that might bridge the gap between the games logically.

When I read this post something clicked:
    Originally posted by iron12
    I'm going to be controversial. What I want in the expansion is......AR, LG, spidermine gun. I'm not saying get rid of the enforcers or the sniper but they could be like it UT2004 where you had both. Some maps had one and other maps had the other weapons. And oh yeah... The Ripper.
    In warfare and vCTF we have Axon vs Necris vehicle sets. They are not 100% balanced against each other, but to a reasonable degree, and that is part of the beauty of it. It makes the game a bit less predictable. Now what if we applied that thinking to weapons?

Could we have maybe:

Assault Rifle vs Enforcer
    Lightning Gun vs. Tracer Sniper Rifle
    Ripper vs Stinger

So in the ladder either you could choose your own weapons and each player would have a custom weapon set of their own, with pickups set in pairs and showing the chosen weapon to any given player - or - You get to choose the weapon set for all opponents in the match if you have won the last match or alternatively, picked up some kind of card.

Personally I think the first method would work well for both offline ladder and online play. But there are many ways to do it, the point is this, they have created different stuff for every game and then it becomes a case where each new game just pretends something doesn't exist anymore and it becomes disjointed. Fans of previous games also inevitably become driven away - you could argue that they need to adapt but the series needs to evolve too and not just keep doing the same thing but with different clothing.

I think something like this would both make the game more interesting and enhance the tournament feel.

Sure. As long as we don't change the weapon sets for online multiplayer.

Comment

I like that idea alot!

Comment

What I wanted in Unreal tournament for a long time now is way for two or more opposing teams to have their own movement and weapon sets. For instance UT3 vs UT99. One team picks up the classic rocket launcher, the other the current one. Heck even Quake vs UT2004 movement and weapon mode. A weapon replacement mutator where you could add few possible weapons to spawn would be cool.

Your idea sounds kinda what ballistic loadout in UT2004 could do.

Comment

I do not like this idea. Ask for it in another game and stop trying to ruin a classic deathmatch game.

Comment

we want the lightning gun!

ahem... i like this idea... i like both the enforcer and the assault rifle, and also what i think you are trying to hint at that it should be player's skill that defines who wins, and not necessarily what gun they use, unless they choose wisely if we are able to choose our own sets...

Comment

Originally posted by Bebo View Post
              I do not like this idea. Ask for it in another game and stop trying to ruin a classic deathmatch game.
              If you could explain how it "ruins" it I might be able to see where you're coming from, otherwise you are not really contributing anything to the conversation.

Comment

i wan't the lightning gun too, i was better with that then sniper rifle...

as much is a want a ripper (i love that thing) and it would work as viper has a similar shot already, but i wouldn't want it instead of the stinger as that is a decent vehicle remover.

Comment

well what I am saying is you would have that choice and so would everyone else. It would be interesting to see matches with UT99'ers choosing sniper vs UT200x fans choosing LG.. or again AR vs Enforcer, seeing how they fare against each other.. but not only that, it might help players to feel like they have that bit more flexibility and somehow it is helping their game, even if it is largely a cosmetic thing in some cases. The AR fires a bit weaker but has the grenades, and I got pretty good at lobbing those things, yet I love having akimbo enforcers with double damage also.. that is deadly.

Another interesting matchup would be shieldgun vs impact hammer. Each have different abilities. Either you choose to protect yourself from energy weapons and long falls or you choose to be able to knock powerups and disable vehicles - you can't have it both ways, and you have to strategize a bit what would be the best choice for a given map. I think it would be awesome.

Comment

Having UT99 weapons vs UT3 weapons wouldn't work IMO. Anyone who has played both UT99 and UT3 would know that the former's weapon set is much more powerful (i.e. spammy) than UT3's (for example, ROF of beserked Flak in UT3 is roughly equal to the ROF of a normal UT99 Flak. Given that player skills are equal 9/10 times you'd have the team with UT99 weapons winning or at least in an advantageous position.

Comment

I am not suggesting that the weapons don't go through some form balancing where necessary, and I am likewise not suggesting having "UT99 flak" vs "UT3 flak" vs "ut2004 flak" or anything stupid like that, simply to have some of the weapons that have gone missing come back but in a way that lets people have a degree of choice. Other weapons that have been always there but "upgraded" over the years like Flak, RL, shock, Link, would stay in one form.

Comment

If your idea is taken up, regardless of what is done I hope they steer clear of using the 2k3/2k4 weapons as a basis for determining weapon damage in the set of 'unified' weapons. I want weapons which promote regular confrontations rather than hide and seek playing styles.

Comment

maybe just in big vehicle game types
                          it will ruin deathmatch

Comment

Working...
                          X