Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting pc hosted ps3 server side effect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting pc hosted ps3 server side effect.

Not sure how many people actually host PS3 server from their PC...but I thought this was an interesting/funny side effect.....I can sometimes hear people talking on the mic that are playing in my PS3 server through my PC speakers. It took me a while to figure out what it was...every now and then I'd hear something that sounded like talking from the basement (where my pc is)...I'd be like wtf is that!..go down and look...nothin...hmmmm. LOL!

Normally during the day I work downstairs but I turn my speakers off. One day I left them on accidentally and eventually I heard a whole conversation during a duel...it was really funny! One dude kept complaining about getting shot in back and the other was like 'fu come get me motha f'er'....and if that was anyone reading now, this I'm not taking sides but, it was funny!!

Anyway just thought I'd share that cuz it made me laugh...and also so that you know...if you duel on my server you never know who may be listening! lol! Make sure you say 'hi WOPR!' lol!

Yo, great duel server you got set up. I play on that server more than any other that's up. Just got one question/favor to ask you. Do you think you could change around the map prioritys? Defiance always overtakes all of the other maps when there's only two people voting. My suggestion would be this: Sentinel, deck, diesel, shangri la, rising sun, defiance.
    Defiance isn't really that good for duels, because the map is too big for just 2 people. Oh, you might also want to drop the difficulty of the bots down a notch. Some of the newer players get frustrated and leave as soon as one of those "masterful" bots start pwning them. Leave it at either experienced or skilled.

Comment

Cool, thanks!

I wonder if the priority determined simply by the order listed in the .ini file. I never thought of that. Defiance is the first one in the list so that would make total sense. I'll re-order them according to your order above the next time I reboot and see if that makes a difference.

Yeah originally I had the difficulty set at 3 (experienced) for selfish reasons, cuz I suck at duels . Then I had some requests to make it harder so I put it on 6 (Masterful). I'll lower it to 5 though (Adept I think), I don't want it to be too hard for new people but on the other hand I don't want the good people getting bored waiting for someone to join either.

I'll send you a PM when I change the map list (probably tomorrow)...then next time you're in there you can lemme know if it's fixed.

Comment

Will do bro. And thanks! =)

Comment

Well I wonder who said something, of course its bad enough stupid a$$ sentinel gets picked all the time and you put it priority, and to kaliburs likings. Not getting on your case kalibur, u have a point but when sentinel was down at bottom it always got pick, now I don't even have a chance when I'm in ther with 2 people and they pick it over and over, fukn lame. So why does it need to be at top when it always got picked, beyond my belief and I'm n there more then anyone is. I was in there for 4 hours straight last weekend, I agree with your other priorities but still thank deck, shangri la need to be first. And I really don't have a problem with sentinel besides the fact you never have a weapon to pick up cause the opponent takes them all and they spawn kill u when u have an enforcer, hmm, I wonder, kalibur have you ever done that, yes u have, to this day u still spawn kill, a lame kill is a lame kill. U know. if that map didint lose its weapons when u picked it up I be more then happy to have it first but the map is a spawn killin map just not as bad as rising sun. Not getting on your case kalibur so don't come n here saying this and that, just find it stupid when u put it at priority when it already was priority n a way, put something else first then sentinel, since how I was the first one requesting right when u opened the room and the next time I will say hi wopr. Peace, lol.

Comment

Hi WOPR. Interesting about the mic talk through your speakers! The duel server you got running is great, played on it a few times now and had some nice duels, not that I'm great at 1v1 . In the list it seems the ping would be too high for me but playing in it it seems to be pretty good. Maybe related to a PC hosting it, I don't know. It's good that its always up anyway, so thanks.

Personally I love duels on Deck, since it's an old favourite of mine from the original UT.

Comment

Hey trip62, thx! I'm glad it works for ya. I've had a couple of other UK players say it works well for them too...pretty cool, I didn't expect it to work for people that far away.

YT3RnaL/Miskell - I didn't think re-ordering the maps would be a big deal! lol! I hear ya Miskell, it does seem like Sentinel is way overplayed in duel...so it seems reasonable for a couple maps to be higher in priority to help even it out. I'll go ahead a put Deck and Shangrila above Sentinel. I'm going to put deck #1 simply because it's the only classic map from ut99. I think the main thing YT3RnaL was trying to get across was defiance shouldn't be #1 and I agree. Hopefully everyone is happy now!

btw - I've been rebooting the duel server on and off all day...playing with other things....so if anyone got booted in the middle of a game I apologize...but it had to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ~MISKELL~ View Post
                opponent takes them all and they spawn kill u when u have an enforcer, hmm, I wonder, kalibur have you ever done that, yes u have, to this day u still spawn kill, a lame kill is a lame kill. U know. if that map didint lose its weapons when u picked it up I be more then happy to have it first but the map is a spawn killin map just not as bad as rising sun.
                It's part of the game, deal with it. Spawn killing isn't an unacceptable thing. It's pretty hard to do on most good maps consecutively. Just don't be predictable when you spawn. The spawn points on maps are well known. I personally fire at the spawns after a kill, because there is always the chance you will get another. If the first thing you do is run out as soon as you spawn, then you should expect some rox or a combo heading in your direction. Be patient. You'd be surprised how many deaths you avoid. I don't see how you get spawn killed so much. I play Xkal1bur all the time and it rarely happens to me.

But I agree. Sentinel is way too overplayed. It should have last priority. Take Defiance off of the map rotation. It's too big and has armor/health vials for a duel map. Is it possible to add custom maps to your server? I have some suggestions if it's possible.

Comment

I haven't done it yet but I don't see why not. I was actually just thinking about that today...I seem to remember people saying they liked some map called campground? Anyway what'ya got?

Comment

BlackStar you got it all wrong. I'm not saying its unacceptable, I find it stupid and cheap. Who said I get spawn killed so much. I'm saying as good as he is he should make a agreement with just me then, I never spawned killed him when I had the chance, I guess you read it wrong. And the weapon issue at sentinel happens all the time but I don't get spawn killed all those times, just here and there. I remember the last match I watched with him and reverend, reverend had a 3 to 0 lead on him then kalibur came back and got 2 spawn kills on him, that was cheap, seriously I beat xkalibur the othe day on Deck for my first time. I was up by one and could have hid the last 45 seconds, did I, no I came out and played, he killed me, right before we went in overtime I got the last kill, I could have been cheap and hid like I said, that's about as cheap as spawn killin, hence I have headphones, I guess I can start playing real cheap and see how everyones whines from now on. As far as kalibur, he is a great player. I'm not talking bad about the guy, he has taught me a lot. And I know he don't have to spawn kill to own someone, he is great, he knows I know he's great. We don't have to say anymore but I thank u took it wrong. Hey if u wanna spawn kill that's fine, I guess ill camp every corner, cheap is cheap, I wanna play fair and the right way. As far as the map order thanks wopr, I just believe sentinel is overplayed. Xkalibur don't take anythang the wrong way bro. If u wanna talk on PSN we can, your one of the best and u know it. Peace.

Comment

Also I duel in there everyday, I seen u in there what, once maybe. I asked wopr at the very beginning to put Defiance on there and he did. If u were in there as much as me I could see why your opinion would matter, its his duel room and didn't mean to cause a headache to you wopr, I guess do what you want and yes campgrounds is a good map and blackstar I forgot to mention I dueled kalibur more then anybody in UT3. Me and him go way back before he was in QcP and were duelin all the time. I know how he plays. He just knows how much I hate spawn killing.

Comment

Is Morbias in the list? It should be since I'm pretty sure this map was designed for duelling originally.

Comment

Miskell I didnt want to cause a big misunderstanding but saying my opinion doesnt matter because I dont play as much is pure elitism. What you consider 'cheap' isnt going to change how everyone plays. There's nothing wrong with doing all of those things you mentioned. Hiding in corners or using headphones are legitimate strategies. If someone complains because you beat them, they are a sore loser and/or a scrub that isnt worth your time. If you want to continue this discussion, send a message on PSN. I dont want to hijack this thread anymore than it already is.

Comment

Originally posted by ~MISKELL~ View Post
                            didn't mean to cause a headache to you wopr.
                            Nah it's cool man. I just want to make the server as good as it can be...try to please as many regular players as possible. I try to steer clear of any drama...it's not about any of that to me I just want to do my part to hold on to what little community there is here.

So besides campgrounds any others? Cuz if there is enough good custom duel friendly maps maybe I'll just put a second server out there. No one ever seems to play any of the DM/CTF servers I put up so I might as well do another duel server. Might be better to have a separate one for custom stuff that way people that don't have the custom maps (*cough*, lazy!) still have a place to duel. Could make it really custom and do all custom maps...low grav...insta, etc...or maybe insta one week, then next week low grav, mix it up.... lemme know what you guys think.

Comment

Working...
                            X