Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that feel like cheating but are not(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you use headphones and people accuse you of cheating, lol. If they don't want me to play with them on, just ask, don't get p*ssy about it. Cough, Cough.. Or just go out and buy some headphones for 15 bucks instead of b*tchin about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReverendCrow View Post
      each shard does 18 damage (show damage mod)
      Wonder how you know that, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ~MISKELL~ View Post
        Wonder how you know that, lol.
        Err, he said in the part you quoted. Some 'show damage' mod. You can also go into the code and see for yourself.

When I dueled in UT2003 I had all of the weapon damages memorized, primary and secondary. Now I don't bother so much.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
          Err, he said in the part you quoted. Some 'show damage' mod. You can also go into the code and see for yourself.

When I dueled in UT2003 I had all of the weapon damages memorized, primary and secondary. Now I don't bother so much.
          Sorry you misunderstood. I was being sarcastic. Me and reverend duel everynight and when I host I have been putting show damage mod on, that's how he knows cause we recently have been playing with it, speaking of it, IDK, its really interesting to see how far the rocket can hit from you and you still receive damage, you should play with the show damage mod on and you might understand why some thangs happen, maybe your closer to shots then they are.

Comment

that mod unfortunately only shows the damage I inflict (I use the ABT-Mod for some time now and had had the audio feedback for my damage already) ...

Much more interesting would be to see how much damage I take from enemy hits ... I hate dying by linkgun-secondary within less than what feels like a second (**** bots)

Comment

i don't know what exactly happens what the OP is talking about but one thing's for sure: there is no hack that increases/reduces damages or whatever
              all movement and damages are calculated server side, no matter what you do, even if you edit your game and change the weapon damages, the server determines how much you lose, your computer has no control over it.

Comment

Regarding splash damage vs rockets and flak, its all about your movements. Dodging is key jumping is just the last minute solution and usually = you dieing pretty fast. Skilled players will dodge much more you will see us dodging through 5-6 players to take over a node or avoid being killed. Most of the time they will bring down 2 to 3 players minimum before dieing in a 1 v 5. FPS issues are a huge to make you think there is a cheater in the mist. If your FPS or connection has packet loss be aware that the problem there is not other players cheating but you giving advantage to the other players.

There are still cheaters out there too, so still be doubtful of everyone. Usually across the map repetitive 1 shot kills gives them away, specially if your not in the clear and momentarily just poke your head out and get shot. It just aim assist or aim bots, most of the guys that have it & use it can turn it on and off as they please, you will see them idle once in a while. Don't believe the hype that its only the top scorers that cheat, these guys now keep there scores mid to top because if they are not in the top and they generate suspicion when they see they are not in the top they stop being suspects which is exactly what they intended. These people are just stat whores, and want their kill to death ratio to be very high. The Stat hungry players are the first to worry about, but remember at the end this is just a game and these fools want to cheat and live in a world of fantasy, do not let this disturb your gaming and just keep having fun.

Just have fun guys, remember dodging is key not just jumping. It is not the same as 2k4 (dodge jump), but it is still effective.

Comment

haha seriously? may it was just placebo. i always thought the ASMD did more damage if i got them in the face.

the ripper and chainsaw got headshots

EDIT: and actually i'm pretty sure you could get headshots with the enforcers too. are you guys sure it didn't work that way in UT99? maybe it doesn't work that way anymore but i always felt like enemies went down faster if i put the reticule over their head (even with the minigun or pulse rifle).

Comment

I find that you can't really tell by 'feel' if someone is cheating. The exception being if you are still being shot to bits consistently, no matter which way or how much you dodge. If thats the case, leave the game and quietly spectate the player you suspect of cheating.
                    If they are cheating, it's often pretty obvious. You'll see the players aim snap from one enemy to the next. And generally they will annihilate other players, often with not so powerful weapons too (Like the enforcer). Its even more of a giveaway when you see that the person cheating doesn't even move very well. Like no dodging etc.
                    Basically, these players are n00bs in denial.

Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Pop! View Post
                      I find that you can't really tell by 'feel' if someone is cheating. The exception being if you are still being shot to bits consistently, no matter which way or how much you dodge. If thats the case, leave the game and quietly spectate the player you suspect of cheating.
                      If they are cheating, it's often pretty obvious. You'll see the players aim snap from one enemy to the next. And generally they will annihilate other players, often with not so powerful weapons too (Like the enforcer). Its even more of a giveaway when you see that the person cheating doesn't even move very well. Like no dodging etc.
                      Basically, these players are n00bs in denial.

Pop!
                      Agree, so many factors involved but this is pretty much it.

Comment

It's easy to tell an aimbot.

All of the aimbots I have seen (which are many), will always snap their crosshair to the closest opponent. This is really easy to spot in a crowded DM or TDM match.

If your teammate is getting nailed by one, just observe when another teammate gets closer than the first teammate. It's almost comical how fast the bot will all of a sudden ignore the first opponent, do a complete 180, and start engaging the second opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by spacedemonebu View Post
                          the ripper and chainsaw got headshots

EDIT: and actually i'm pretty sure you could get headshots with the enforcers too. are you guys sure it didn't work that way in UT99? maybe it doesn't work that way anymore but i always felt like enemies went down faster if i put the reticule over their head (even with the minigun or pulse rifle).
                          The enforcers didn't have code to check for headshots. Neither did the chainsaw for that matter. (try it, you can swing at someone's feet and you'll still get a "Headshot!" message)

Comment

1. It's extremely easy to tell a bot user, if you're good enough at this game, the obvious tell-tale signs are a) they have horrible movement, b) restrict themselves to a very limited weapon set, and c) have absolutely no tactical or map knowledge. I've gotten accused of botting numerous times, and the easiest way to disprove it is to demonstrate that you can still dominate them with non hitscan/aim-based weapons as well as the tremendous difference in movement style. The other way is to simply demystify aim. Lower your mouse sensitivity and *gasp* you can actually aim pixel by pixel, there's nothing mysterious about good aim.

2. To the OP, what you're experiencing is netcode issues and frankly, coding issues. If you've ever seen how the Avril is handled in unrealscript... I used to wonder why the POS doesn't fire consistently. A quick look shows you how the timers are setup for it, so frankly, it's somewhat random in its reload time. A similar example is the orb itself, ever notice how that countdown timer mysteriously hangs on 1 for an awful long time occasionally? It's the timers plus your proximity, which leads to really inconsistent results. The point being, the way these things are coded are conditional and somewhat random.

3. I could go off in length on the netcode issues with this game but I won't. Suffice to say, things may appear one way on your screen and be entirely different in reality. This is not a zeroping, lan-emulated or a "ping compensation" game. What may look like direct hits to you aren't. Often times you're simply grazing your target or missing them altogether. Pay really close attention to the "feedback" the game tries to give you, although a shieldbelt may "glow" when hit, it will glow with 1pt of damage, so a glow doesn't mean you did much of anything.

4. With guns like flak in particular, the randomness of the shards makes for inconsistent results. More so than that, if you ever play with a hitsound mod (louder the more direct you hit them), you'll quickly realize that what appear to be "solid" hits on your end are usually just grazes. Essentially you're nicking them a lot with flak if you don't use it properly. This gives the BS effect that you "hit" a guy 3 times with flak, he 1 shotted you.

5. Be careful on when you call a cheat. If the guy sits in a corner and kills you as you spawn with a sniper rifle with only 1 shot consistently, of course, go for it. But if a player is flying around you and other players, he's probably just flat better. The sad truth is most players in UT3 don't even know what a "good" player is. They play on their local pub and are pretty good (relative to other pub players) and think they've got it down. There's a host of other players you won't see on your local pub who can make ever your pub superstar look like a complete nubcake.

Frazzle

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                              The enforcers didn't have code to check for headshots. Neither did the chainsaw for that matter. (try it, you can swing at someone's feet and you'll still get a "Headshot!" message)
                              ok, i just went and played UT99 to check if i had been hallucinating all those years but i can say for sure now that occasionally when you kill someone with headshots from the enforcers, their head will come off. will someone else with UT99 confirm that?

it's true, the announcer only says "Headshot!" when you get the kill with the ripper or sniper, but why would their heads come off with the enforcers if it wasn't checking for headshots?

Comment

i think that's because of a remained feature from the original unreal:
                                when you have killed someone, the game checks where you have hit so it can randomly remove limbs. in UT, only the head was a 'loose' limb so you can shoot off somebody's head with the enforcer, but it still does the same amount of damage

and YES, in the original unreal you could shoot off someone's arm or leg with hitscan weapons!

Comment

Working...
                                X