Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that feel like cheating but are not(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that feel like cheating but are not(?)

I often wonder: Why is it always the same guys that seem to take more damage than anybody else, though hit the same way and without health powerups?!

Sometimes you can kill people with 100HP across half the map (e.g. Floodgate) with 3 shots of Flak-Primary, sometimes you can't even knock people off the board with it. And what is odd: It is always the same people that cannot be killed. The other way round, it is always them that kill you within half a second of fire from the stinger or within 1 second with linkgun secondary.

I know it is not cheating - as that mostly happens with well known players high up on the scoreboard - but I'd like to know, WHY it is always them.

Are there some *.ini-tweaks or something that "optimize" weapons and movement (e.g. anti-avril- or anti-biogoo-"tweak" or something) that are not exploits or cheats? Because it can't be skill when you don't die from 3 straight Flak-shots having 100HP.

Or why is it always the same people that (almost) can't be logged on with the Avril, that take several avrils at a time (without armor!)? Who cannot be "slimed" as easily because the charged bio-goo won't "log on"?

Those people mostly have very low pings; but I do, too, so that can't be a reason.

UT3 is the first game I play online very extensively, so idon'tknow, maybe that is a common problem I simply have to get used to (packet losses, server problemes, lag etc.).

Or is there something like moderate and unobtrusive "cheating" by making changes in the *.inis or changing settings of the network connection (so that others can't hit you as easily)?

There are no .ini settings that do what you are suggesting. It's a combination of skill (AVRIL avoidance), connection issues (weapons not registering hits) and your perception. BTW, just because you hit someone with the Flak doesn't mean you're doing much damage.

Comment

If you hit somebody on the Hoverboard, and he or she doesn't fall down, it is because he or she has a Shield Belt.

Comment

head shots do way more damage with all weapons, not just snipers. if you are skilled enough, aim for the upper torso when you shoot your flak. you're more likely to miss, but if some of that flak hits them in the face, it will be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by spacedemonebu View Post
          head shots do way more damage with all weapons, not just snipers.
          I'm fairly sure that's not true. It hasn't been true in all the other UT games and I doubt it is now.

As bclagge said, there are no INI tweaks that affect how much damage you do or take. Chances are whoever you're firing at just know how to move in such a way your shots are less effective than you'd expect. I know from experience judging how far you have to lead with the Flak can be a lot harder than it seems. If you're not hitting even with a single shard, chances are you're just shooting too far ahead or not far enough.

Comment

head shots do way more damage with all weapons, not just snipers.
            This is not true, all guns do same damage no matter where they hit IF they hit. Splash is based on proximity to center of body cylinder AFAIK.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing the other day , just too many coincidences -problems for me with certain players , thing is, if there is a hack about, why would the people using it publicise the fact? Examples; as you said, failure of lock on or unexpected avril weapon switch whilst locked on-as though someone switched my avril so its rocket fails to hit them. Or the same players repeatedly beating hit detection with rockets or flying through avril hits, yet getting a 1 hit kill every time they fire one.

Before accusing however, it's worth remembering that quite a few will likely be running, ultra low res, low settings , which leaves them CPU bound, clocked very high with a decent(intel) cpu-their framerate dips are virtually solved online and with the 90fps upper limit anyways. All at the expense of the game looking like cr*p . There will be no dropping right down though, to 20-30fps in heavy action that makes play feel laggy and sluggish for most players, even low pingers, leaving them shouting, cheat!, as the player dances off to claim another scalp.

Comment

I see weird stuff sometimes too, but mostly I just suck. Waaaaahhhhhh!!!!

Comment

head shots do way more damage with all weapons, not just snipers. if you are skilled enough, aim for the upper torso when you shoot your flak. you're more likely to miss, but if some of that flak hits them in the face, it will be worth it.
                  Definately not true. Sniper is the only weapon that registers headshots, except for a bug with the Bio Rifle. Flak does have some unique damage though. The shards do (about) 14 damage each, except the very center shard. The center shard fires dead center, with no distance drop, unlike the other shards. This shard does 100 damage right out of the cannon, and drops lower the farther it flies.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                    Definately not true. Sniper is the only weapon that registers headshots, except for a bug with the Bio Rifle. Flak does have some unique damage though. The shards do (about) 14 damage each, except the very center shard. The center shard fires dead center, with no distance drop, unlike the other shards. This shard does 100 damage right out of the cannon, and drops lower the farther it flies.
                    Yes, well aimed Flak is absolutely lethal, quite a few don't realise that precision value for nailing vipers, players alike with that center.Especially at the floodgate node where killing six or seven in quick succession is perfectly feasible using well aimed Flak alone.

Comment

Moloko: I hope you're not seriously playing with FPS drops to 20-30 FPS. I run the game at 1024x768, screen percentage 100%, texture detail 4, world detail 1 (which makes the game look a lot better for some reason) and I don't think I ever drop below the default cap of 90 FPS. I'd notice if I did.

Comment

zzyzx: No, there never is that glowing when somebody wearing a shieldbelt or other armor gets hit; it could be those health-vials that have increased health ...

@ bclagge: What is Avril avoidance? (I know you avoid AFTER the Avril has been fired and is flying towards you. But even avoiding logging on at all?)

well, splash damage is yet another story ... because I often think that my weapons don't have any ... again only when trying to hit certain people.

best example is the Goliath: Sometimes it seems to have a huge radius (mostly in combination with the players low on the scoreboard), but often enough I can shoot directly next to someone and he goes on without any effect (same with Paladin) ... And some players go down with the expected number of hits (e.g. rocket launcher) and some don't ... sometimes it feels quite random ...
                        Or when I am (double)jumping to avoid the rockets fired on the ground I always receive splash damage (about 30points each time!!) whereas some players (again the better ones ...) don't; as if they could jump higher or further or something.

and honestly, I won't blame this all on my own missing aiming skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                          Moloko: I hope you're not seriously playing with FPS drops to 20-30 FPS. I run the game at 1024x768, screen percentage 100%, texture detail 4, world detail 1 (which makes the game look a lot better for some reason) and I don't think I ever drop below the default cap of 90 FPS. I'd notice if I did.
                          No I'm not , my point was more general; there will be many players out there on **** HW , running Vista or both, who think cheat everytime, because it seems like their game is dipping to ultra choppy framerate levels and they cannot understand how others aren't suffering like themselves. Framerate dips are certainly still an issue for me, though not 20-30.

What I can say , is that on Vista 64, with an AMD cpu , playing UT3 WAR is a complete choppy FPS nightmare. I'm back on xp- much better, though I'd still say AMD X2 cpus and UT3 don't go together well, putting it mildly.

Comment

Originally posted by _idk_ View Post
                            @ bclagge: What is Avril avoidance? (I know you avoid AFTER the Avril has been fired and is flying towards you. But even avoiding logging on at all?)

well, splash damage is yet another story ... because I often think that my weapons don't have any ... again only when trying to hit certain people.

best example is the Goliath: Sometimes it seems to have a huge radius (mostly in combination with the players low on the scoreboard), but often enough I can shoot directly next to someone and he goes on without any effect (same with Paladin) ... And some players go down with the expected number of hits (e.g. rocket launcher) and some don't ... sometimes it feels quite random ...
                            Or when I am (double)jumping to avoid the rockets fired on the ground I always receive splash damage (about 30points each time!!) whereas some players (again the better ones ...) don't; as if they could jump higher or further or something.
                            Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. Skilled players are better at avoiding AVRIL lock on, but it is still difficult to do. It works best when you're close to the person and you move laterally in their field of view. That makes it very difficult to maintain a lock.

As far as splash damage goes, it is very predictable. Skilled players just have the experience to know where is a safe location from Goliath splash damage. Sometimes it may look like a clear shot, but in fact the player is shielded.

As far as health goes, more experienced players are FAR more likely to have picked up additional health or shielding before encountering trouble. Lesser skilled players are additionally more likely to have suffered damage on the way. I think what you are seeing is an accumulation of many small factors that define what is a skilled player. I recommend you spectate (using "behindview") these skilled players and see what it is they do differently.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                              each shard does 18 damage (show damage mod)

Comment

Working...
                              X