What is keeping you from playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Space. And school.
    But not to worry, i will be back soon. I am two levels away ffrom completing dead space, and my semester ends december 17th

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
      Haha funny you ask that that exact question. I'll give you a short list.
      • Attempting to join a passworded server via console if you do not specify pw on your open string it will prompt "Invalid password": Most games will add an additional prompt on connection asking for pw if server is locked
      • UT3 never store pw, you must input password every connection
      • If you have any issues connecting to the Gamespy master you cant play online
      • Until 1.2 you could not get into a server via thrird party apps
      • Until 1.3 you could not COPY AND PASTE
      Your last 3 points are lame. You are still complaining and use as a reason to not play, a problem that happens twice a month or stuff that is already fixed!
      Originally posted by RoadKillGrill
      After the Valve and Criterion support, Epic's support looks quite poor.
      Originally posted by Janes_Addiction-
      Hehe, Valve actually cares about satisfying their customers, and supports its player based cummunity to teh fullest..The L4d demo had more patches in the first 4 days of its existance than ut3 has had and its entire life.
      Originally posted by CaptainZap
      I'm not going to keep trying to have hope for a series that obviously will never reach the quality of UT99.
      I'm talking about whom I known for years, and that were hardcore players sine ut99, imagine about the rest of players out there that I don't even know) they just quit the game.. now we're a handful of people left and we're lucky if we play one or 2 games a week!
      Originally posted by shocker789
      But also there is just a general disappointment in the game, mostly for the maps, the stagnant UT3 community and the general lack of polish. UT3 feels like an awesome half-finished game or something. ...I was a hardcore UT99 player ...
      So basically, hardcore/UT99 players are hard to please. Nothing new here.

What's next is really not for JA, but for a part of the community:
      I don't care about all the people in the world who never bought/heard the game. I care about the 300+ we used to have in the channel trying to play pugs, scrim, matches
      Let's be clear once and for all: you and other guys keep saying that the game "failed". Where it clearly "failed" was on the hardcore DM scene. For other people it's just below expectations (or sometimes way below, I admit ), but it sold more than one million copies and is actively played on Europe pubs. You have 500 guys online at night just for PC, I never saw the numbers on the console side. Some people never go online or left it but still play offline. For me it's fine, Europe pubs are active I don't have problems finding good games on US servers either.

If you aren't happy with the support for pugs, no irc, competitive gaming, tournaments, etc... sorry but it's your **** problem! You are a niche, and that doesn't concern 95% of the UT3 players. And instead of bashing everyone and everything, like Epic, noobs, console gamers, vehicles, etc..., you should use your brain to figure out how to improve your situation and focus on what serves your best interests: make plans, get sponsors, promote UT as a group on LANs and tournaments the same way you still have CS and CS:S, etc..

Trust me: it wasn't piracy fault, it wasn't consoles, it wasn't MMORPG's, it wasn't other PC games, and most importantly it wasn't the community's fault this game failed. We did our part by going out and buying the game, and promoting it among friends.. but we also know who is to blame...
      It was all those combined. But with this attitude of blaming Epic of everything and doing it for so long (5 freaking years!) and whenever you have a chance, you were just digging your own hole. UT was barely able to resist to half a decade of badmouthing by the self-proclaimed loyal fans!!! I'm really worried because I just saw Mike Capps saying on an interview that the greatest challenge for UT3 was to bring back the guys that liked UT99 and Jeff Morris admitted something similar(I can't be bothered to search for the interviews atm). If they didn't manage it, Mr. Capps wasn't sure that there would be another UT, instead they would try something else...

Comment

Well I almost play everyday, but what I think would help UT3 out is to put a demo up on the Playstation Store, like they did with Warhawk a month ago. Lets re-introduce the game to PS3 owners. I've bought R2, Burnout and RFOM 1 and they still can't compete with UT3 multiplayer mode and I think people who love R2 and never played UT3 would buy the game instantly if there was a demo out, they need just a taste and their hooked!

Comment

benfica? when I mean failed,I mean, this game is deader than dead or any other ut game for the matter. At least in NA where is where I live. I could care less about europe or wherever your from. I didn't buy ths game to play on you servers. Yes I'm a TDMer, CTFer. try to get a game going pub all dead only one is busy UGM with 8v8 playing biohazard, fearless .. it is not funny.. clan scene? there is none.. ladder scene dead since day one never even happend. you can't deny these facts.. its not people's fault the game was not made with a community in mind...

And what you're going to deny that Valve does not cater more to its community than Epic does? Go check TF2, L4D, Or Quake Live from Id. Unfortunetly, for me they are not the games I play.

Comment

and plus 500+ people playing I don't belive that in the least bit, show me proof. I don't think there are more than 100 people playing ut3 at any given time in the whole world, period. Either way, does not do me any good.

P.S. I've never bashed a noob no matter how bad he was, or dissed any other gametype, even if I didn't play it.. Sorry if it hurts you when I say Valve does a better job than epic. However, you do seem to be dissing us. the "hardcore DM scene." FYI that is what made UT great, and popular.

Comment

do please click Janes_Addiction signature link yes please do

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                So basically, hardcore/UT99 players are hard to please. Nothing new here.

I'm really worried because I just saw Mike Capps saying on an interview that the greatest challenge for UT3 was to bring back the guys that liked UT99 and Jeff Morris admitted something similar...
                I´m right here (coming from UT99) playing Warfare almost every night.

But I think the challenge was to bring the 2k4 people to UT3. UT3 feels so much more like UT99, and thats the reason why I play UT3 and NOT 2k4.
                I really love this game and I have NO problems finding a decent War-server with 32 people on it.

Originally posted by Janes_Addiction- View Post
                and plus 500+ people playing I don't belive that in the least bit, show me proof. I don't think there are more than 100 people playing ut3 at any given time in the whole world, period.
                You´re so wrong. When showing up the server-list I usually see more than 100 players in Warfare ALONE. But I cant say if it is 500+. Will do some screenshots later today.

Comment

R2 and Gow2 has been keeping me from UT3. I'll probably pick it up again soon though. I've thrown it in a couple times since the other games stated came out but I always end up putting the others back in.

Comment

Yeah well, obviously, I was exaggerating a bit, I'd say more like 300 people worldwide, which is no where near 500 in Europe alone like he claims... Not to mention it is underneath ut2k4, ut99, Q3, q4, and pretty much every other FPS game ever realesed...Wait, it has more player than Cossacks: European Wars, WTF is that?

Check gamespy..

Also, a lot for these game don't have as many players nowadays as they had when they were really at their peak and popular.

Anywayz, not going to derail this threat. last I checked, this thread was about what is keeping people from playing? If roadkillgrill gives his reason why he doesn't really play the game, then they are valid points. doesn't matter how lame other people may think they are. And even with all its flaws I still try play this game everyday, and do a lot to promote it. Like Setting up pugs, Admining irc channels, admining servers, running tournaments, helping many new players, Advertising the game to friends and colleagues, as well. Even though, it is not my job to do any of this specially when I never had to this with any of previous UT games ever. All I did was buy the game and play it. which is all anyone should be required to do. But I don't mind supporting the I love to play, and helping the community. However, unlike some people I don't live in denial of the current state in which the the game is.

Comment

benfica? when I mean failed,I mean, this game is deader than dead or any other ut game for the matter. At least in NA where is where I live. I could care less about europe or wherever your from. I didn't buy ths game to play on you servers.
                      Of course. That's exactly what I was trying to clarify, it's worse in NA. But I when I look, I can always find WAR and vCTF games on pubs. You have more people playing on weekends too. My point is that I wanted to make it clear for everyone that reads this, that the game is "dead" for a part of the community. It's doing badly anywhere because we would like it to be extremely popular, but it's not dead.
                      Yes I'm a TDMer, CTFer. try to get a game going pub all dead only one is busy UGM with 8v8 playing biohazard, fearless .. it is not funny.. clan scene? there is none.. ladder scene dead since day one never even happend. you can't deny these facts.. its not people's fault the game was not made with a community in mind...
                      No, but I'm not denying anything. And then I didn't say that the game wasnt made with a community in mind. I was basically saying that if the game has poor support for a pro-community or a part of the community, it's not anybody else's problem.
                      And what you're going to deny that Valve does not cater more to its community than Epic does? Go check TF2, L4D, Or Quake Live from Id. Unfortunetly, for me they are not the games I play.
                      Because your idea of community is "PC/old school/gamers", but their community has 6 million members, 4.5 on GoW and 1.5 on UT. I'm also a PC old school gamer, my first UT was UT99, I played Wolf3D and Doom. The problem is that Epic doesnt care anymore about personal views of what the community is.

You can say that their support is not enough for the community, for UT, for older players, for PC players, for any other kind of member, but what do you want them to do? You can blame Epic for the mediocre release, but then they also released 3 patches. There's a 1million US$ MSUC where people are paid in cash and become enthusiastic about creating content that you can download for free. They bundle an editor and game code is opensource, you surely would give them kudos here if you remember that it's possible to create muts like utcomp or you hanged around with Linux/OpenSource fanboys like I used to. There's the troubleshooting forum. There are feedback threads, where true loyal fans ike Nightmare85 and others are doing an impressive work.

If that isn't enough, I guess they will listen. If you really want that Epic solves your problems, just create well thought threads like Bersy did about the UI. Purely constructive, sensible suggestions that don't take months to implement and don't bring disadvantages to any other part of the community. So that those suggestions still can make it to the expansion.

and plus 500+ people playing I don't belive that in the least bit, show me proof. I don't think there are more than 100 people playing ut3 at any given time in the whole world, period. Either way, does not do me any good.
                      Not the best one, but taken last week, the first page:
                      [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/gamemon.png[/shot]
                      Check out game-monitor at 2 to 5pm US central time, any day of the week. I'll get a better one that shows exactly the number of players if you wish.
                      P.S. I've never bashed a noob no matter how bad he was, or dissed any other gametype, even if I didn't play it..
                      I know or at least I believe YOU at 100% (I saw that on one of your posts), that's why I made it clear that the reply wasn't for you but for a part of the community.
                      Sorry if it hurts you when I say Valve does a better job than epic.
                      It doesn't hurt, I also played HL alongside with UT and I have the Orange Box. But I'm a gamer, I don't care about Epic's or Valve's public relations or business model. I look at UT3 and I still believe that the stock game+3 patches+tweaks+forum+editor+custom content+the online community worths 60€. They don't have the obligation of making it perfect and being exactly as I wished (if you think I don't have complains, just look at my sig), they only have of making it worth 60€. What it matters is if the Orange Box is worth what I paid for, so does my car, PC, refrigerator, so does UT3 CE.
                      However, you do seem to be dissing us. the "hardcore DM scene." FYI that is what made UT great, and popular.
                      I admit I'm dissing in the sense of flaming or pointing the finger at you guys, but not neglecting, dispising or considering you inferior. I recognize that you are true fans and interested in the future of UT, otherwise I wouldn't have started a thread almost begging for you guys to take over pubs and increase enthusiasm of the remaining players. But you are shortsighted and do the opposite, by nitpicking and dissing UT for so long about stuff that 95% of the players don't give a **** about, you are contributing that people lose interest on the game. And then on some other thread you come and complain that nobody is playing it!

Comment

That's an impressive amount of people for ut3 I guess, you're lucky to be on that part of world. With that beind said. I think you're a conformistic. I paid $50 for this game and when I got it it was in beta state, 3 patches have been released so far over a year's period.. 3 patches that only address about 5% of the problems we have been corcerned with. And by all means I'm not trying to bash it.. I try to stay optimist.. I'm way past all the problems. I've come to live with them, and decided to just play the game for what it is, unfortunetly not many people see it the way I do.

Still, don't ask me if I'm happy with it, because you know the answer to that question. I guess it is not your problem, nor Epics', that its customer are not happy. I guess, we're lucky, and I should be thankful because we have a forum where to post (hehe) where most of your post are deleted, locked, anywayz..

Oops.. I hope I make it another day on these forums.

Mad props to all players that are still active out there.

Comment

That's an impressive amount of people for ut3 I guess, you're lucky to be on that part of world.
                          However I play on your part of the world, I play with American guys. I never had a problem on finding games, even though sometimes I barely make it. Maybe it's worse on the West Coast, not sure.
                          I think you're a conformistic.
                          No, because as I said, I agree that it was released in poor condition and I still have complains about it. I see your point, but then I can say you guys are just too picky I don't like the way the game was released, but now you still keep living in the past, try to make a big deal out of the remaining bugs each time the previous ones get fixed, you bash the game for what's wrong and don't praise it for what's right, or instead of concentrating on solving problems you just prefer to find someone to blame. Like complaining about lack gametypes but then don't play the community made DOM,BR,Invasion,Unwheel and others. Complaining about lack of content but then say that customs suck and play Deck, ShangriLa, Suspense, Downtown or Floodgate again and again. The UI lacks options, but people forget about BradG's tweaker.
                          I paid $50 for this game and when I got it it was in beta state, 3 patches have been released so far over a year's period.. 3 patches that only address about 5% of the problems we have been corcerned with.
                          Yeah, 5% of the problems you or your communiity are concerned with, but surely not "we" or "everybody". That's why I'm saying that if they are so important, you should start threads. Focused, to the point, describing what you need, showing why it will not take long to fix and that they don't break the game for everybody else.
                          I guess, we're lucky, and I should be thankful because we have a forum where to post
                          I don't feel lucky or unlucky or thankful, each to his own, it's typical to have forums and a support forum is almost mandatory. But you can say that I'm happy to see threads about XBox clans, T5K map parties, the PS3 SMP clan, your own XFireGroup thread, etc...
                          (hehe) where most of your post are deleted, locked, anywayz..

Oops.. I hope I make it another day on these forums.
                          You (and a lot of people) obviously don't get it why so many posts were deleted, threads locked and people banned. 3 tips: 1) it's not what you say, it's the way you say it; 2) read the last posts of guys that got banned; 3) try to figure out where they come from.

Edit: Taken at 20:26 GMT:
                          [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/gamemon2.png[/shot]
                          Didn't notice that the **** tooltip was over the player count for that Russian server But since the list is sorted, it's between 21 and 25

Comment

If roadkillgrill gives his reason why he doesn't really play the game, then they are valid points. doesn't matter how lame other people may think they are.
                            I admit that it wasn't exactly the best list but it was in reply to "Which bugs do you come across that prevent you from joining a game?".
                            The in-game bugs are the ones that bug me the most.
                            • Firing but not shooting:Minigun and linkgun playing fire animation and sound but no bullets are coming out or being used
                            • Dieing and not respawning: You have no idea how angry I got when I was one frag away from winning and I died and couldn't respawn, it happens occasionally on populated DM servers
                            • Demoguy syndrome: I feel that the avatars reflect the player and I enjoy to see them, I don't like seeing the demoguy or being the demoguy
                            • Shock self damage: I really dislike hurting myself on objects beyond my viewing frustum
                            • No team randomization per match: as soon as a team has a good roster of players its over, the opposing team will never get a chance to win and this streak will continue until they leave.

The overall skill of the community is broad too, I can win most ffa DM matches or place rather good consistanly. However when it comes to pugs I suck .
                            The only reason I'm involved in the pug community is that the causal clan community never formed. I enjoy organized matches with "fair" teams. I played on TWL with a clan for 4 years playing just about every gametype in its lifetime, ONS, CTF ICTF, and TDM. This community never formed in UT3 and its rather depressing. Pubs are terrible mainly because teams don't randomize per game making stacked teams unbeatable.

Comment

Quote:No team randomization per match: as soon as a team has a good roster of players its over, the opposing team will never get a chance to win and this streak will continue until they leave

That one is just the worst in pub UT3 war games, isn't it. At least in Onslaught knocking down/building a node took time -that time was a valued part of the game mechanic, allowing a decent player on a weak team a chance to recover. With War & orb node capping, the 1 good player on a weak team would need to be everywhere...impossible. What's worse, you'll get a team with 5 high scoring players, each very capable, against a team of single points noobies, these games are completely one sided affairs and to rub salt in, the winning dominant team has players typing 'gg', after a quick rubbishy game.

So...it is not just randomization, though a better version needs to be implemented asap, often it's happening because decent players are afraid to play each other as well.

Comment

I think people underestimate the impact of the game system requirements. You can't possibly play this game with what Epic states are the minimum requirements. If you release a game that most people's computers won't play, then most people won't play it. I bought a new rig, but I'm fortunate enough that I can do that. This game probably runs on less than 20% of the pc's in peoples homes without them upgrading some equipment. Stuff is getting cheaper now, but still.

Comment

Working...
                                X