No announcement yet.

What is keeping you from playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never tried it...but maybe the flag MaxIdleTime would solve the idleplayer problem. If you hosted the PS3 match from ur PC then you could configure that. Just a thought.

@ Tailsnake - I'm generally a CTF/DM'er...what newer game are you talking about that can even come close to UT3 gameplay in those modes? I've played a lot of the newer FPS's out there and I have to say from my point of view there is no better DM/CTF than UT3. I agree there are annoying things that should have been fixed at launch or at least by now...but still. And I'm really not being a smart ***...if you think there's something better I'd love to check it out.

Using your analogy this is the way I feel about it. The old UT99 is like an old reliable car you've had for years...it's not flashy but it's solid and it always starts and get's you where you need to go. The newer games like R2 are like a semi-sports car (say a G6 or the like)...built to please the masses and not in the grand scheme of things all that fast...or even truly a sports car at all. And then you have UT3...to me it's like a Ferrari with the interior ripped out and replaced with that of a 80's pickup truck. Be that as it may...it still a hell of a lot more fun to drive a Ferrari with a sh!tty interior than it is to drive a G6.

Anyway...just my opinion.

Comment

yea i played suspence today, i wonder what the point of playing is when i end up stuck, fly a deemer around only for it to randomly explode on a dodgy invisible blocking volume

Comment

Honestly it's the lack of support that keeps me away from the game. I can deal with the bugs and I can deal with the severe lack of players. I love UT3, I play it from time to time, and the UT franchise is still my favorite one but it's very hard for me to get into a dead or dying game that even the developers don't seem to give a **** about.
        I mean have you guys been to the Deus Ex 3 forums? (Deus Ex being another one of my favorites) I'm amazed at how much feedback those guys give about a game that hasn't even been released yet! They are actually trying to listen to the community and make a great game! Plus, everywhere I look DLC is being announced, demos (yes demos) are getting patched, things just seem to be moving along. While with UT all we get is threads like this one and "is this game still alive?" like what, three/four times a month? It sucks

Comment

what i think epic has done has made the vehicles harder to beat on foot, in UT2004 you could snipe a scorp driver out of the vehicle... now you cant, in UT2004 weapons had knockback which acctually stopped the vehicle hitting you regardless, now it doesn't, only so many mantas driving over you as you leave spawn area on suspence before you realise.. these maps need better weapon placement, or something for people on foot to fight vehicles off with, stinger is good but raptors still escape with ease and only alt has knockback flack only hits at close, remotly bad ping and you are stuck, shock has knockback but is never around.

Comment

Originally posted by WOPR-1 View Post
            I've never tried it...but maybe the flag MaxIdleTime would solve the idleplayer problem. If you hosted the PS3 match from ur PC then you could configure that. Just a thought.

@ Tailsnake - I'm generally a CTF/DM'er...what newer game are you talking about that can even come close to UT3 gameplay in those modes? I've played a lot of the newer FPS's out there and I have to say from my point of view there is no better DM/CTF than UT3. I agree there are annoying things that should have been fixed at launch or at least by now...but still. And I'm really not being a smart ***...if you think there's something better I'd love to check it out.

Using your analogy this is the way I feel about it. The old UT99 is like an old reliable car you've had for years...it's not flashy but it's solid and it always starts and get's you where you need to go. The newer games like R2 are like a semi-sports car (say a G6 or the like)...built to please the masses and not in the grand scheme of things all that fast...or even truly a sports car at all. And then you have UT3...to me it's like a Ferrari with the interior ripped out and replaced with that of a 80's pickup truck. Be that as it may...it still a hell of a lot more fun to drive a Ferrari with a sh!tty interior than it is to drive a G6.

Anyway...just my opinion.
            Our analogies are essentially the same.

I haven't found a game with gameplay anywhere near as solid as UT3 on consoles, the only thing that even comes close right now is Quake Live for PC, but that's essentially just Quake 3 again. Lately I've tried out basically all the big console shooters that I didn't bother with in the past and the only one I even moderately like is Socom (for it's more team oriented, goal directed gameplay). CoD4/WaW is a camp/nade fest and the weapons weren't very balanced, Warhawk plays like a console version of battlefield with sligthly different rules, Halo 3 is like a horribly slowed/dumbed down version of Unreal, and Resistance 2 is just horrible. If that's all there is out there for consoles (sans Unreal), it's a travesty that Epic didn't launch UT3 properly and get a real foothold in the console market.

Hopefully with GoW 2 released, UT3 will get some more time to get finished up and re-released the way it should have been released the first time. A free/DLC expansion would make the current owners happy and increase the population a bit, but a full on second release of UT3 is the only thing that's going to bring in new gamers in droves. If they listen to the community and take some cues from devs like Criterion on customer service and post-release support I'd be willing to pay for this game all over again. If not I'm essentially done with the game and I know a lot of other people feel this way too. There's only so long you can drive in that Ferrari with the crappy interior before the seats make your back cramp up and you have to get out

Comment

Tailsnake, that's not the point
              Originally posted by CaptainZap View Post
              I'm not going to keep trying to have hope for a series that obviously will never reach the quality of UT99.
              Yep, the game was redesigned according to UT99 players requirements and still, Epic will always fail to please them!

It means that cathering for this sub-community was a waste of time and resources. Now it's time to give priority to UT2004, casual, offline and console players instead.

Comment

great, no point in playing pure anymore.. every game my stats plummet no matter how well i play, unstoppable? top of the scoreboard? -50 ELO and 200 places whats the point

Comment

....I'll drive with back spasms! lol! I hear ya though...

I don't feel like I have to force myself to play UT3 as opposed to other titles. It has it's flaws but to me the flaws of other games are far worse. I guess I'm just surprised that the gameplay isn't enough for even the hardcore UT player....I mean I've been playing UT since the original and when I got UT3 I really liked it right away..and then when I came on this forum and hear everyone goin 'this is lame' 'this sucks' 'I'm leaving', blah blah blah...I'm goin..wait what's wrong with it?....seems fine to me! Not perfect by any measure but still...it's certainly far from unplayable....I know you;re not saying it's unplayable but sometimes that's the way people talk.

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx View Post
                    great, no point in playing pure anymore.. every game my stats plummet no matter how well i play, unstoppable? top of the scoreboard? -50 ELO and 200 places whats the point
                    As far as I know, it doesn't matter how well you play...it matters who you kill and who kills you. So even if you go 50/1 if that 1 death is by some dude that's ranked 1000000...you'll go way down.

Comment

For me, I really miss the tournament feel that Unreal used to have. UT2003 was amazing.
                      Also the music doesn't play as big of a part in UT3 as it did in 03/04 which disappointed me.

Comment

Negative, Ferrai F-40 had no interior that some would call interior and yet is the best Ferrari made to date. Lol. No tailsnake, wopr. I agree guys. Couldn't be more true then that. Also like wopr said about a Ferrari and a G6. I'm the biggest Ferrari fan and for a **** fact you can never compare any trash pontiac to a Ferrari just to show you what kind of level UT3 is to other games like R2. They simply just don't compare. Like I said before I'll play with bots before I play any other FPS that's until another UT drops. PERIOD.

Comment

....I'll drive with back spasms! lol! I hear ya though...

I don't feel like I have to force myself to play UT3 as opposed to other titles. It has it's flaws but to me the flaws of other games are far worse. I guess I'm just surprised that the gameplay isn't enough for even the hardcore UT player....I mean I've been playing UT since the original and when I got UT3 I really liked it right away..and then when I came on this forum and hear everyone goin 'this is lame' 'this sucks' 'I'm leaving', blah blah blah...I'm goin..wait what's wrong with it?....seems fine to me! Not perfect by any measure but still...it's certainly far from unplayable....I know you;re not saying it's unplayable but sometimes that's the way people talk.
                          what he say so true
                          i have hat some problems too get the game work good in the begining but i fix most of it by reading this forum but i dont like the admin here and how there treat pll

but those problems i hade never stop me playing this game this game is great it a shame pll dont play becous there have some small bugs

Comment

As far as I know, it doesn't matter how well you play...it matters who you kill and who kills you. So even if you go 50/1 if that 1 death is by some dude that's ranked 1000000...you'll go way down.
                            yea but its every server and every game... whats the point in being punished for playing well...

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx View Post
                              yea but its every server and every game... whats the point in being punished for playing well...
                              I'm not really following your problem. It's been like this since the beginning. In order to get your rank to go higher you have to play against people ranked higher than you. Unless I've misundertood what I've read this is the basis of how ELO works.

If I go into a room of n00bs and shred them by "playing well" it doesn't mean my rank should go up. I don't think it should.

I don't know much about the details of ELO but it seems to be sort of good and sort of bad...you don't have to worry about playing a billion hours to get enough kills to be decently ranked like some other systems....but then again people that are paranoid about their rank going down avoid random matches which detracts from the community as whole...ie you can't get better unless you play better people....but the better people don;t want to play with you cus their rank will go down! lol!

I personally don't worry about the rank too much anymore...if you're good people will know regardless of your rank. Let your playing do the talking.

Comment

the problem is, every player good or otherwise is knocking my ranking down, its rather annoying, the dominating games are not because the oppositon was any worse then usual was me that played well, i dunno what rank players are but it seems all the high ranked pure players have dissapeared.

Comment

Working...
                                X