For a Future Unreal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
    ...You must have a amazing multiplayer or the game will die out quickly...
    That's not necessarily true. Look at games like Neverwinter Nights - it has multiplayer, but its enduring popularity is mostly due to the huge number of high quality user-made modules for it. It might be hard to add that sort of easy moddability to a FPS, but I'm sure someone will do it eventually.

Comment

nancy, your compairing a game that is developed primaraly as a console game to a pc game that had a huge thriving community till it was put on the back burner

Im saying you can have a single player element sure. But You must have a amazing multiplayer or the game will die out quickly. A person can only play the single player so much before it gets boring. Now multi can go on forever especially with mods and new maps.

Single player might keep a game alive for a year or 2 but multi can keep it going for 5+ years

<and yes xyx i loved 99's story, Il trade ut3 anyday to see xan calling me out.
      I COMPLETELY agree with you. I'm just saying it shouldn't be either/or, we should have BOTH and we know Epic can do it because they did a superb job with Gears 2. You are correct, it's not a precise comparison because like you said UT3 was born on the pc and Gears was pc/console.

Comment

You must have a amazing multiplayer or the game will die out quickly.
        A sale is a sale, whether the buyer plays it for five years or five minutes. If I ran a game company I'd be more worried about people buying the sequel than about people playing. They could put the game on the shelf NRFB for all I care, as long as I'd get their money now and next time.

The world is still full of successful single player games. You cannot measure a game's success just by the hours it gets online. You have to look at the sales figures and the sales figures of the sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
          A sale is a sale, whether the buyer plays it for five years or five minutes. If I ran a game company I'd be more worried about people buying the sequel than about people playing. They could put the game on the shelf NRFB for all I care, as long as I'd get their money now and next time.

The world is still full of successful single player games. You cannot measure a game's success just by the hours it gets online. You have to look at the sales figures and the sales figures of the sequel.
          That's a foolish attitude for you, Epic or anyone else. Read this post, I explain my perspective further there: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...1&postcount=18 Paragraph 8 if you want to cut to the chase.

Comment

Bersy, on which pubs do you play UT3?

Comment

OK I keep hearing this alot what is all this pub busniss?

Comment

Originally posted by Kazimira View Post
                OK I keep hearing this alot what is all this pub busniss?
                PUB = Public Server (any server in the server browser that doesn't require a password)
                PUG = Pick Up Game (Small password protected games setup via IRC)

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                  Bersy, on which pubs do you play UT3?
                  I am too busy to play UT3 much nowadays, I fire it up once in a while but I am not a regular on any servers. But when I do play it is usually TDM and now and then vCTF since I don't care much for the present state of Warfare.

Why?

Comment

why not have a decent single player? single player was a wasted effort... especially with all the new inclusions. 2 factions, 2 sets of vehicles... no assault mode? those together would have been win win.
                    i played some UT single player mods and enjoyed them, i do think the straying away from scaarj and nali thing may have crippled that route.
                    imroving multiplayer would be to stop making things like tankcrossing and kargo and give us proper maps that are playable...not all of us want to spend a VCTF game stuck in base because of a tank or shooting rockets everywhere... that and this pure and custom stats thing is really rather pointless, especally as one custom mutator and the server is custom, a game where making maps and mods is supported, and in my view if a server has a mutator whch does nothing to overall play it should stay pure, will make finding games easier too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                      I am too busy to play UT3 much nowadays, I fire it up once in a while but I am not a regular on any servers. But when I do play it is usually TDM and now and then vCTF since I don't care much for the present state of Warfare.

Why?
                      I don't join DM games, but I spec once in a while. And I'd swear I saw you pwning last week.

I guess not then ...

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
                        Unreal is one thing Unreal Tournament is another...
                        Same universe yes, but diferent goals in terms of play.

I think first and foremost Epic should Fix UT3 and only then consider other projects, afterall they still have whatever PCF is developing to finish.
                        Too right, Stop referring Unreal Tournament to Unreal. Unreal is the single and story driven experience, Unreal Tournament is the multiplaying experience. Its down right ignorant when Unreal is mistaken for Unreal Tournament.

And yes UT3 should be fixed and then built upon it. As with Unreal, thats just never going to happen, unless epic revive the franchise and turn it out to be like say.........."Turok"

Comment

Originally posted by Dogger View Post
                          Too right, Stop referring Unreal Tournament to Unreal. Unreal is the single and story driven experience, Unreal Tournament is the multiplaying experience. Its down right ignorant when Unreal is mistaken for Unreal Tournament.

And yes UT3 should be fixed and then built upon it. As with Unreal, thats just never going to happen, unless epic revive the franchise and turn it out to be like say.........."Turok"
                          Lol, okay I'll try and make the effort not to confuse the two since this might be directed at me.

On another note, someone asked if Gears 2 has female characters and the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                            I don't join DM games, but I spec once in a while. And I'd swear I saw you pwning last week.

I guess not then ...
                            Last week? No.

Any other time? Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
                              Has it always just been a training ground for the online play with a token storyline?
                              Single player campaigns used to be the norm. The first Unreal was primarily single player, with a multplayer mode tacked on.

But single player campaigns are subject to the limitations of scripted action sequences, and AI. The saving grace can be good writing. But good writing is a rare bird at all times.

Wheras online multiplayer simply pits human beings (of a sort) against each other.

This is inherently more of a challenge, providing more replay value. Online multplayer is now the norm.

Comment

On another note, someone asked if Gears 2 has female characters and the answer is no.
                                Considdering the fact I like a choice of weather to be a bloke or not and quite like not always being mestakein for one...

Epic! Please keep UT3! I love this game series!

Improve it if you like i'll even sudgest stuff but please keep the series going.

Comment

Working...
                                X