I die too much :S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I die too much :S

I consider myself to be a reasonable UT player, but what has always annoyed me is that I seem to die a bit too much... I usually do very well in DM's, in most cases i top frags, yet i also seem to top deaths as well... And the thing im not to great at are duels due to my high death rate.
    I think the problem is that I have never really learnt how to dodge, I have always just mashed space bar and hoped that I would dodge a rocket or two before i hit my oponent. In UT99 it wasn't that bad, but in UT3 I feel a lot more bulky and cumbersome, as if I have a larger hitbox than before.
    So how do you lean to dodge?
    I can't think of any way to practice, I tried playing morbias station on duel with a godlike bot and not firing back at it, just focusing on avoiding its fire. But once the bot ran out of ammo he just pulled out his enforcer and knocked me down... And thats when he didn't have a lock on me...
    Any tips?
    For the record, yesterday I was playing a 4 person DM with my friends, first to 100 frags. I got 100 frags and 152 deaths :S

i die a lot to,some people you cant hit for nothing and some people hit you no matter what you do,its like they have a aim bot or something.AND I NEVER FIGURED OUT HOW TO JUMP OFF WALLS DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO JUMP/DODGE OFF WALLS?

Comment

Lol. Well becoming great at dodging isn't easy. But will some practice it can be easy.

I would start doing side dodges. Just double tap the left movement keep (I use the arrow) to dodge left and the right to dodge right. It might feel weird at first, but keep doing it and it will become muscle memory.

The harder dodge to perform is the forwards or backwards dodge. (just double tap forward twice or backwards twice). The easiest way for me to do forward doubles is to do this: hold down the left or right direction key, and then quickly double tap forward. This is what most people do. It will once again feel weird at first, and you probably won't be good at it, but keep practicing it over and over, and over and over.

I learned how to do dodges back in UT99, and the dodging in ut3 is very similar to ut99. In ut99, I would recommend practicing the forward dodge on Facing Worlds. From mid, run down the slope and try forward dodges with the technique I mentioned above. With ut3, I don't have a map but anything will work I just like Facing Worlds because of the slopes.

After you master those two dodges you can try wall dodges. Just run along a wall, double jump while running along it, and then while at the peak of your jump, dodge in the direction that would push you away from the wall.

Let me know if you need more help, I wrote this kinda fast. Happy fragging, Infra`

Comment

To dodge off walls, just jump into the wall and dodge away from it. Easy way to start to learn it is to get right up against a wall, jump up and dodge away from the wall while in air.

pl4y3r, sounds like you know how to dodge. What you should concentrate on is trying to predict your opponents behavior. If you know when a rocket is coming your way, you'll know when to jump out of the way. Also, in DM, a good rule of thumb is don't follow people around corners.

Edit: Beat me to it Infra`

Comment

Haha sorry bclagge :P

Yeah don't follow people around corners.
          Also, use the right weapon for the right situations. Flak/rockets for close range battles, shock for midrange battles, and sniper or mini for far range battles. Just a rule of thumb, you don't have to follow this exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by pl4y3r View Post
            I consider myself to be a reasonable UT player, but what has always annoyed me is that I seem to die a bit too much... I usually do very well in DM's, in most cases i top frags, yet i also seem to top deaths as well... And the thing im not to great at are duels due to my high death rate.
            I think the problem is that I have never really learnt how to dodge, I have always just mashed space bar and hoped that I would dodge a rocket or two before i hit my oponent. In UT99 it wasn't that bad, but in UT3 I feel a lot more bulky and cumbersome, as if I have a larger hitbox than before.
            So how do you lean to dodge?
            I can't think of any way to practice, I tried playing morbias station on duel with a godlike bot and not firing back at it, just focusing on avoiding its fire. But once the bot ran out of ammo he just pulled out his enforcer and knocked me down... And thats when he didn't have a lock on me...
            Any tips?
            For the record, yesterday I was playing a 4 person DM with my friends, first to 100 frags. I got 100 frags and 152 deaths :S
            It may not be a dodging issue. Learning how to dodge will help, but it won't make you any less of a target if you're easy to predict. It sounds more like you're way too predictable instead of being as comfortably random as possible. Dodging is more akin to moving around a map to cut someone off or to get a power up before anyone else than the most useful thing in a duel/face to face fight.

If you want to get better at movement while incorporating dodging, playing bots (not even close to playing a real person and will force you into bad habits) or playing friends to 100 frags isn't going to help you tbh. Play with experienced players in duels or do some proper TDM in a pug. That's really the only way to learn how to move and stay alive.

Also, I know most people say that in DM the deaths don't matter, but to me they do. I base my actual score off of the Kills - the deaths I get. So if I get 45 kills and 5 deaths, my real score is only 40. I base it off net not pure frags, so your 100/152 would mean you have a true score of -52. :c

Comment

Thanks for the reply infra.
              I knew about the dodges but I never really used them because i always thought that jump + d was enough to jump left or right. However i never actually used the jump forward or backwards dodges because i hated the idea of standing still while i mashed a key. I was at one point considering making Q and E Forwards and Backwards so i would mash them while still moving, however I didn't know where i was going to put Flak and Rocket since i was so used to equipting them with those keys. The move left opr right while jumping is a great idea=P
              Anyway I need to now adjust my double key thing.
              ALso you played Ut99 as well, now do you also feel as though the hit box in UT3 is somewhat bigger than UT99?

Comment

JohnDoe: It may not be a dodging issue. Learning how to dodge will help, but it won't make you any less of a target if you're easy to predict. It sounds more like you're way too predictable instead of being as comfortably random as possible. Dodging is more akin to moving around a map to cut someone off or to get a power up before anyone else than the most useful thing in a duel/face to face fight.

Be realistic, I can't decide whether or not you are a decent player, but if you saw someone who was just walking around in a server, he would be an easy target. It would even be an easy head shot. He explained that he had a problem with avoiding other players; he mentioned not being able to escape a rocket for example. Dodging is how players avoid other players spam, because the other player is not able to predict you next step, because dodging happens so fast.

Walking around makes you predictable. Dodging is unpredictable. It is also the easiest way to out move or escape an enemy that is shooting you. Too be good you really need only two things, good movement and decent aim. Map knowledge and a little luck wouldn't hurt as well.

Comment

Yeah I would say the hit box for ut3 would be a little bigger compared to ut99.

Comment

Also the main reason I want to learn to dodge properly is so i can avoid long death streaks.
                    In most cases I will go for a 10+ kill rampage before I am finally killed at which point my opponent(s) Will grab all the power ups on the map and I will be left with an enforcer vs 150+ HP, All ammo + weapons, 50+ armor. Its really frustrating when you get 2 frags away from the score only to get spawn camped until its over.
                    However when I play against better players they seem to be able to avoid all my fire until they get some armor and a few decent weapons, I just have no idea how they are able to just fly past me while I blow all my ammo chasing them.

Comment

Exactly the reasons why I said dodging was crucial to surviving. Just practice dodging dude

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
                        JohnDoe: It may not be a dodging issue. Learning how to dodge will help, but it won't make you any less of a target if you're easy to predict. It sounds more like you're way too predictable instead of being as comfortably random as possible. Dodging is more akin to moving around a map to cut someone off or to get a power up before anyone else than the most useful thing in a duel/face to face fight.

Be realistic, I can't decide whether or not you are a decent player, but if you saw someone who was just walking around in a server, he would be an easy target. It would even be an easy head shot. He explained that he had a problem with avoiding other players; he mentioned not being able to escape a rocket for example. Dodging is how players avoid other players spam, because the other player is not able to predict you next step, because dodging happens so fast.

Walking around makes you predictable. Dodging is unpredictable. It is also the easiest way to out move or escape an enemy that is shooting you. Too be good you really need only two things, good movement and decent aim. Map knowledge and a little luck wouldn't hurt as well.

It really depends on the skill level of your opponent, I find dodging extremely useful, well to "dodge", its hard to dodge an incoming fire, I would say, but what I try to do is make moves that will throw my opponent off. with that said, if you're skilled and are playing a skilled player you can basically predict the kind dodge your enemy can do based on the situation that helps you anticipate your next attack. What I mean by this is that if you know you're playing an average player you can always assume he is going to dodge therefore predict his movement. it takes seconds to study the surroundings,to make your decision. However, when I play a complete noob sometimes I find myself confuse trying to find out what is he going to do. in other words I fire where I think he would have dodge but instead he stands still, or walks in a straight line. happens to me all the time. I try to predict movement when there is nothing to predict.

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post

You're not fully reading into what I said. I never said to walk in straight lines. :c

Circular movement while simultaneously strafing is rather unpredictable to a point, but to me it's much less predictable than dodging. With dodging once you commit to it your opponent knows where you're going to land and where to place that rocket/combo/whatever.

Sure dodging is a great way to make the enemy loose track of you but with a really experienced player, it can also make you an easy target while you're in the air/about to land. Just look at elix, when people are dodging is usually when he hits people the most. I know because back in 2k4 when I'd be sick of playing him with pew pew I'd spec and watch how he aimed. Even in UT3 he's not dodging like mad, but calmly strafing and hitting dodging opponents on pubs.

But this is still just my style of play, if it works for others, great, but it may not for others.

Comment

Working...
                          X