UT needs to be smaller, not bigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT needs to be smaller, not bigger

i know plenty of people are going to disagree with me, but i view the problem in ut3 as it trying to do to much.

first off i know good and well that ut2k4 had vehicle modes also and was plenty popular, i owned 2k4 and 2k3, but the fact is that was just the start of this expanding of the gameplay, it was something fresh at the time and it offered a good change of pace and added to the value by essentialing make 1 game into a few games.

but now the game isnt as popular as 2k4 was, and thats probably has to do with alot of things but i think a big factor is the fact that computer gaming is on the decline.

anyhow my point is that the game being so spread out now, you have 1 community of ut players, and the fact their is 4 basic modes of play you have basically broken that community up into 4, there are seperate websites, tournies, etc for each mode.

ive played unreal since the start, and ive always felt it was a deathmatch shooter, i think if they emphasized working on things like netcode and engine more then just trying to create this game that does so much, all the work spent on vehicles, maps, etc could of gone torward making a smaller, better, unreal.

the core of this game is deathmatch, so im sorry if i upset you vehicle players but i think you guys should be playing games like battlefield if thats what you want, Unreal excelled as a deathmatch game, and now its not considered a great deathmatch game or a great vehicle game, its kinda just a mess of the two put together.

so basically in ut4, i suggest you drop the vehicles, focus on making a badass deathmatch game and give your core fans what they want. the fans that have been playing and loving your games long before vehicles were even in the game.

I agree totally deadaim. When I tell people I don't play vehicles they get ******. Why, I grew up as a DM player, I bought the game to frag, not drive vehicles around and so fourth. If they just focused on Deathmatch it would be great. I was just talking with SMP lastnight, just like Unreal for PS2. At the time it was a great game for PS2, no vehicles, go figure. I miss some things about that game that got left out maybe because they were focused on these vehicles. But I can see where some people are gonna get hella p*ssed because that's all some people play but seriously for us long termers, it aint where Unreal started. Its not my cup of tea. So I agree that EPIC should focus on where the original UTs came from and get out of this futuristic vehicle stuff, my opinion.

Comment

Yes, having Unreal Tournament 3 (with a sp tournament doh) running DM, TDM and CTF, and Unreal Warfare running the vehicular gametypes as 2 separate games would have been sweet. There has been 1 trillion suggestions on what they should've done in this forum though. ^^

DM in UT3 is really good as it is now, with less gravity and bouncier weapons it would have been even better and with crisper gfx, all the basic features working and better performance it would have rocked.

Comment

Hmm.... I swear I read this before.

Hold on, with a bit of find/replace:
        Originally posted by Deadaim
        the core of this game is the PC, so im sorry if i upset you console players but i think you guys should be playing games like halo if thats what you want, Unreal excelled as a PC game, and now its not considered a great PC game or a great console game, its kinda just a mess of the two put together.

so basically in ut4, i suggest you drop the consoles, focus on making a badass PC game and give your core fans what they want. the fans that have been playing and loving your games long before the consoles ran the game.
        *sigh*

Comment

I completely disagree with all of you, except the crispy graphics part, I like crispy graphics...

Comment

Take away the full servers on VCTF and WF this game would have about 13 people online

Comment

Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
              I completely disagree with all of you, except the crispy graphics part, I like crispy graphics...
              Hey, you must recognize that I figured that one out quite well It's exactly the same rhetoric!

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                Hmm.... I swear I read this before.

Hold on, with a bit of find/replace:

*sigh*
                Originally posted by danjel8 View Post
                Take away the full servers on VCTF and WF this game would have about 13 people online
                QFT on both of these

Comment

They don't even want to split up the forum (pc/consoles), do you really think they'll split the actual game up?

Comment

Originally posted by Deadaim View Post
                    Unreal excelled as a deathmatch game, and now its not considered a great deathmatch game or a great vehicle game, its kinda just a mess of the two put together.
                    But i can't see why they can't stay together, removing one part won't improve the other imo.

Comment

But then they might have had the time and effort to make the TDM/CTF/DM better (read: original maps with good gameplay, a good interface for challenging other players, etc) and the entire community from previous UT's would still be around.

Although I have never played it, UT99 is far more popular than UT3, and it lacks all these fancy game types you think hold the game together.

Comment

So? That's almost 50% of the online players. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Deadaim View Post
                          ...Unreal excelled as a deathmatch game, and now its not considered a great deathmatch game or a great vehicle game, its kinda just a mess of the two put together...
                          Unreal was a poor deathmatch game. The only good things about it were the bots and the atmosphere. Unreal Tournament was a good deathmatch game, but aren't you forgetting CTF, DOM and of course Assault? If anything, I'd say it's been the additions on top of DM to each game that have made them successful; if UT didn't have Assault it would have been boring, if UT2004 didn't have Onslaught it would have been just another FPS (see UT2003).

Comment

OK what we need is to stop splitting the communaty for one. Second we need more funky things.

People get brought in by funky things we atest need the game to alow people to see the funkyness others made.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
                              They don't even want to split up the forum (pc/consoles), do you really think they'll split the actual game up?
                              What do you think UT2003 / Unreal Championship was? And UT2004 / Unreal Championship 2, for that matter?

I believe that the simultaneous development of UT3 for consoles negatively affected the overall quality of the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X