Grind rails and swing bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grind rails and swing bars

Hear me out (and, no, this isn't just because Mirror's Edge came out recently, I actually haven't even played it yet...)

Both of these are inspired by the way that I play, especially UT3, as well as the way the wall-dodge functions, where it saves your immediately prior momentum, making it important to think about your velocity, and keep it going.
    It's also partly inspired by the Hoverboard and the extreme sport element of the UT universe.

The swing bars are probably the more potentially annoying idea, so I'll start there.
    They wouldn't be as complex as they are in other games (ME, Tomb Raider, PoPersia) the basic idea would be a jump-pad with a level-designer specified arc, that the player could choose to engage mid-jump if he had sufficient momentum at the time, as long as the player came at it from either of its two sides. It would hopefully be less conspicuous and easier to hit than a typical jump-pad sticking out from a wall, and the choice to use it or not would allow more flexibility in the player's options of how they wanted to move. Clearly they couldn't go too far, either; there's only so far you can believably launch yourself off a bar (especially in that armor) which would allow UT to keep its close-range gameplay, but allow for a little more aerial acrobatics and options, especially when combined with wall-dodging and maybe 2-3 steps of wall-run.
    A good quick decent once upward momentum passes its peak and a solid landing (with the player still able to move immediately on landing, of course,) as well as heavy landing sounds and a release sound that expressed apropriate effort, and I think it could work quite well.

Now, grind rails. Just what you'd think, really; you jump off a ledge or release from a towing Manta or Raptor, or simply hit them with enough forward speed and you grind down the rail on your boots.
    Modeled after the Hoverboard, you'd steer yourself down them with the mouse, and if you took a little bit of damage you'd fall. I'd say 2 or 3 enfrocer shots, and you could have an Enforcer/s out yourself while grinding, so you're not as vulnerable as on the HB, but it's still risky. The risk would be offset by a faster movement rate and potentially advantageous routes only traverseable via grind rail, as well as increasing velocity the more level you held the course and the steeper the rail.
    You could jump or dodge off a rail at any time to catch a passing vehicle or reach a nearby laedge, or grab a swing bar to a wall-dodge to an open window...

Just random musings, really.

It's hard to imagine swing bars not looking completely out of place in a UT match, but the idea of grinding or taking advantage of your momentum in other ways is interesting. I already like to switch to my hoverboard just before landing from a jump pad that gives lots of horizontal momentum - you can get a big speed boost out of it if the angle is good. Using some kind of grinding/sliding ability to avoid fall damage could be interesting too, if the physics worked as you'd expect.

Comment

I also think we should be able to swing from trees shouting aliaaahiaa and walk across thin cables holding a pink umbrella.

Comment

Roflcopter. Seconded.

Comment

Okay, that was TOO funny. I'm having the biggest LOL in weeks (after reading something on the internet, to be clar ^^)

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
            It's hard to imagine swing bars not looking completely out of place in a UT match, but the idea of grinding or taking advantage of your momentum in other ways is interesting. I already like to switch to my hoverboard just before landing from a jump pad that gives lots of horizontal momentum - you can get a big speed boost out of it if the angle is good. Using some kind of grinding/sliding ability to avoid fall damage could be interesting too, if the physics worked as you'd expect.
            I figured I'd get flamed by a few idiots, but at least someone intelligent replied.
            The bars wouldn't necessarily need to be the blatantly obvious swing bars you usually see in jumping-puzzle games, since they're not essential for gameplay or level progression; they could be the horizontal parts of light posts, banner supports (especially fun with the Gears 2 destructible environments; shoot the banner down then use the bar to access a powerup...) a fallen telephone pole, part of a metal strut supporting a bridge or walkway above, industrial pipes, smaller Nanoblack tentacles... regular things you already find in UT3 arenas, just put to use.

Strategic destruction (which UT3 was supposed to have, anyway) combined with grind rails could be lots of fun, especially in vehicle matches. You're towing on a Raptor and it fires a couple rockets at the pillar ahead and below, causing it to collapse; as you pass it you detach, soften your landing and get some starting momentum with the HB, then drop it and grind down into a fast, flanking route into the enemy flag base, forcing them to alter their defensive tactics to cover the new entrance, and maybe do a shape-charge run or heavy vehicle assault to remove the "rail" or seal the entrance.

Comment

Working...
            X