Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It bears repeating - can we have a team BALANCER working here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It bears repeating - can we have a team BALANCER working here?

I ask because, quite frankly, playing online isn't at all fun when you're always being forced on to the badly losing team.
    EVERY.
    SINGLE.
    EFFING.
    TIME.

Just bloody once I'd like to be able to have a fun match of Warfare or vCTF without having some cheap-**** Manta spammer land on top of me every time I take a step away from a spawn point, without magically being smacked by eight dozens Shock Combos by clan stackers on the other side of the bloody map while my own Shock Combos barely scratch them on a direct hit, without being randomly and arbitrarily punished for not buying into the psychotic obsessive "pro" mentality that further sucks the fun right out of everything, and without hearing "Humiliating Defeat" within barely two minutes of a round. I'm feeling cheated and bullied right about now.

I'm not obsessed with win/loss ratios or topping the scoreboard or anything stupid like that - Win some, lose some, I play these things to enjoy them. But record-breaking constant defeat against more or less impossible odds with not a single fair chance of being able to do anything... that's quite the opposite of fun in my book.

Man, I hear you. Sometimes I'll get stuck in an 8 Vs. 8 and feel like I'm alone playing against 8 great players. I stick it out to the end, but if my team doesn't start picking it up, I'll move to the next map.

I've had WEEKS where I kept dropping on to teams like this EVERY time. It's frustrating, but also the nature of the game. Just ride it out and it will feel great when you drop in with a few guys who know what they're doing.

Comment

thats why you play DM
      you dont rely on anyone

Comment

There is a team balance mod that works rather well already out, BUT no one wants to put it on their server as the server would be no longer pure.

Comment

Titan Team Fix is buggy. The one bug I know of is that it gives wacko false scoring for certain players. It has happened to me before several times.

Comment

I think having the balancer mod running improves the game quite a bit, and something like that ought to be the standard.

It might even help increase the number of players.

Comment

every server should have this... -GOW JUSTICE-

Comment

I think both Titan Team and GOW-Justice are buggy. Here is what I see in my experience.

UMG - Titan Team fix does it's job pretty well, but does cause weird stuff. Player skin colors are not always correct, so you need to look for the name. It will change your team while your playing. This adds considerable confusion and you become Demo Guy shooting at your new team mates. It does make for many more OT games.

T5K - GOW-Justice seems to overcompensate. It adds players to the losing team until they are winning. It places too many players on one team sometimes. I wonder if it has anything to do with player numbers showing up as 0 when the server is not empty.

IMO, I think it's OK to fix teams between rounds, but not during a round. I also think player numbers should be even or at most 1 extra player on a team. Finally, turning into Demo Guy totally sucks, but it would seem that's just a game feature that cannot be fixed.

All hail Demo Guy!

Comment

[QUOTE=oldkawman1;25721319]GOW-Justice seems to overcompensate. It adds players to the losing team until they are winning. It places too many players on one team sometimes. I wonder if it has anything to do with player numbers showing up as 0 when the server is not empty.QUOTE]

the only bug i'm aware of is when people switch teams manually... sometimes teammates show the wrong color.

as far as putting too many players on one side... (its not supposta happen)i've only seen this happen once on the T5K server. out of the months and months of using this mod on the PS3... its never happened. we also run this on our PC server... and i've never seen it. weird

Comment

This is why on the European Decent VCTF server (Custom maps mostly), we have not just a team balancer (Adds a bot with good skill to the team thats a player down, and also switches players where necessary), but also a team randomiser, so the teams get shuffled after every game. It makes for much fairer games as the teams can't be stacked.
                    Occasionally we get clans on who still try to stack their team, but it's strongly discouraged, and if they persist, they get removed from the game.

If our server can do it, then anyones server can.. So I don't think there is any excuse not to, if the server admins want fair games. The server just needs Titan Team Fix installed and configured.
                    Yes, it would mean the server is no longer pure. But to be blunt, so what? Just look at your custom stats instead if you are that into your stats. Most servers have a mutator of some kind or another installed now anyway, so are therefor, not pure.

Pop!

Comment

I think custom map downloads also complicate how a balancer works. If more peeps on one side need to DL than the other, one side gets a huge head start and may win the round while the other players are waiting for DL to finish. Then again, many just disconnect during the DL, leaving the teams unbalanced. It should not be until the player is done DLing the map that they are assigned to a side, not beforehand.

Randomizing at the start of each new map and adding new players as they are ready to press fire to start would eliminate that issue.

Comment

i read the op and was like yeah, that happens. i'm pretty sure it's my fault though, and that bugs me out even more, cause it takes a couple of matches of humiliating defeat, to make me wonder if i'm so bad that i'm ruining it for some one else. or that we lost them way earlier. but i see the titan team switch thing change people at random. maybe i'll be the next...

waits patiently...

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                          I think custom map downloads also complicate how a balancer works. If more peeps on one side need to DL than the other, one side gets a huge head start and may win the round while the other players are waiting for DL to finish. The again, many just disconnect during the DL, leaving the teams unbalanced. It should not be until the player is done DLing the map that they are assigned to a side, not beforehand.

Randomizing at the start of each new map and adding new players as they are ready to press fire to start would eliminate that issue.
                          Another bug I noticed with Titan Team fix has to do with selecting a custom map and some players having to wait for a download.

I have had TTF get lost while they are waiting for the DL, and when they finish the DL TTF will constantly try to switch players back and forth trying to balance teams when it is not necessary. TTF won't stop and it continues the enitre match (most players leave after they realize something is wacko).

Comment

Team balance definitely needs fixing in any future version of UT. Complete randomization every round would be better than what we have now.

I kept track a while ago on UMG. Here's what I noticed:

Day 1
                            Red - 15 game wins
                            Blue - 0 game wins

Day 2
                            Red - 12 game wins
                            Blue - 0 game wins

Day 3
                            Red - 0 game wins
                            Blue - 16 game wins

Wow sounds like fun huh? Lose 15 games in a row. Notice I'm not even recording whether rounds were won or not. There was at least one day the other team did not even win a round out of ~15 games.

This was a while ago, before they started with the titan team fix on UMG.

Comment

a decent team balancer? there isn't one i hate titan, seems to cause more harm then good, i have had some of the worst games ever because of that thing stacking all good players on one

Comment

Working...
                              X