Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some problems when I play Unreal Tournament

My laptop:
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
    LCD AND CAMERA Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
    MEMORY: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    HARD DRIVE Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
    WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
    BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0
    FINGERPRINT SCANNER Finger Print Reader XPS M1530

when I play it, the graphic is very bad. I don't know why. I need some helps. thanks

UT3 isn't a game that you can really play on a laptop, at least not one that isn't very expensive and intended for gaming.

The problem may be with your video card. I'm not sure how powerful an 8600M GT is, but it isn't a first rate video card (like an 8800 GT) and only having 256 MB of RAM isn't doing you any favors. That having been said, the game ran fine for me on a computer with a single core Socket 939 Opteron (at 2.75 Ghz) with a Radeon 800 XT (full 16 pipes, 256 MB of RAM) but I think the resolution was only 800 x 600 or 1024 x 786.

What resolution are you playing the game at? 1200 x 800? Could that video card handle that? Maybe you should try turning all of the graphics options to low. You say the graphics are bad--is the performance itself good--maybe the graphics are already at low settings.

Comment

My laptop is running similar (though slightly better) specs and it runs UT3 just fine. Go into your settings, go to advanced under the video settings, make sure screen percentage is set to 100%. That's usually the problem most people have when UT is looking bad for no apparent reason.

Comment

My laptop has slightly worse specs and I play the game just fine. As Tailsnake mentioned, make sure screen percentage is at 100%. You probably won't be able to play the game with world/detail settings at 5, unless you're using something like 800x600 resolution. Mess around with the settings and find out what works well for you.

Comment

also try brad g's unreal tournament 3 tweaker and have a search through some of the tweaking threads, they can help a lot with lower end machines. Definitely drop your world detail in advanced video settings. 256MB is not a lot in a GPU these days.
          The 512MB 7950GTX in my 12 month old dell xps notebook freaks out at some of the custom maps which make heavy use of foilage layers. Everything else looks okay but the foilage pops in and out of view as the card renders/doesnt manage to render.
          My new desktop with nvidia GTX260 laps it all up. The tech benchmark to play this game isnt as high as some others, but it is reasonably lofty if you want the best appearance, as one would expect. However while i was cursed by the above before i got the desktop i decided, 2nd rate UT is better than no UT... lol. Given the size of the GPU your quoting, i would be looking at a world level of 1 or 2 and low resolution settings, start with that and experiment up if you wish. Do have a look for tweaking threads too, they can help a lot with a battling machine and were usually made by someone who was in the same situation as you.
          Hope some of that helps
          [EDIT] is your vista 64 bit or 32 bit? If its 32bit windows can only use 2.7GB of your 4GB ram. While this is ample in XP with vista being the RAM chewer it is, its kind of bare minimum. I have this problem on my xps notebook which runs xp32 bit, but i have found the memory sufficient as XP chews up less of it in the first place....

Comment

Working...
          X