Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by i_hax View Post
    First off, H3i53nb3rg, I think I should just stop here. We both put out some good points: agree to disagree? (a first for online discussion here)

This could actually be fun and I would definitely give it a chance - I didn't know maps like this even existed.
    There are nodes in most maps, even vehicle maps, which can be considered DMer nodes or areas. That which require you to have really good DM skills to control. A good DMer or two using the right tactics can pretty much dominate certain critical nodes in most maps. Even in maps with vehicles, proper use of the avril can eliminate most vehicle threats. It may take a while to figure out what works best, so you may get owned at first, but in the long run, you may like it if you try it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well Sam at least now you can come back to ut3.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by H3i53nb3rg View Post
    We both got our points out so we'll just leave it at that and move onto another issue.
    yes and that other issue is why the heck is no one playing ut3 on au servers

oh btw they screwed gears 2 as well... and i like an idiot went and bought the collectors edition + 12 months live and all that **** and now that rod freg says matchmaking is a problem... when the problem is how they screwed the whole multiplayer system...

srry for the off topic... just ****** coz i wasted $200 NZ on gears 2...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We both got our points out so we'll just leave it at that and move onto another issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First off, H3i53nb3rg, I think I should just stop here. We both put out some good points: agree to disagree? (a first for online discussion here)

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
    Maybe not quite on topic, but what you guys think about smaller warfare map WITHOUT vehicles, would it be fun?
    This could actually be fun and I would definitely give it a chance - I didn't know maps like this even existed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe not quite on topic, but what you guys think about smaller warfare map WITHOUT vehicles, would it be fun?
    WAR-Intense and WAR-MarketPlace do not have vehicles, although Market has turrets.

WAR-Intense was played several times with a full server during the Halloween T5K event. Lots of DMers were getting record numbers of combo kings during those matches.

WAR-Intense is one of the MSUC Phase 2 maps. It will be on the server for the T5K Thanksgiving event on the 28th and 29th along with all the other MSUC WAR maps and the most excellent UT3 version of UT2K4 ONS-Crossfire.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    People at the pubs say Market sucks. I don't agree, but that is a smaller WAR map without vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This point is moot. Although I am currently playing a lot of games because I got laid off... for the first 7 months the game was out, I was working 50 hour weeks and during the on-season snowboarding every single weekday night (I work at the hill). I still became decent at the game (in pub terms) during this time.
    That's just an isolated example and there are many which are complete opposites to your one. I've been playing UT3 for almost a year and I got into the UT series with UT99 a few years ago. Despite this, I'm still average at best and I always get beaten by hit scanners even on crowded maps. There are many others in similar situations to me. So your case is an exception and not the rule. In general, it is completely unrealistic to expect to get good at a game with limited playing time.

I will never receive any recognition for being good at the game, and I could care less. You should be playing for personal satisfaction, if you actually play to try and make something of yourself - you should stop right now, because you won't get anything. Ever. I play the game for fun, but at the same time trying to play to the best of my ability. So what if you have only have time for a few games here and there? - do your best and be happy with it, and don't expect to beat the guy who plays for 20 hours a week. The issue is people simply give up if they lose or die repeatedly. Instead they should sit back and think "okay, he plays 10x as much as me, no wonder I lose".
    Exactly. Games are played for personal satisifcation and quite evidently (judging by the popularity of cod4 which makes frags to n00bs much more accessible than ut2k3/ut2k4 - i mention these instead of ut3 since the ut3 took a step in the right direction by making it easier for n00bs to frag), for most people that sense of fulfilment comes from being able to score frags and not to be pummelled over and over.

There is no reason to get frustrated at a game when you are losing to someone with unlimited free time, laugh it off and try to goo them or something... It used to be so much fun trying to cause 'that guy' his only death, or just screw him up, even damage him before you're dead. Accomplishment isn't always a win.
    Yes occasionally it can be fun to target the top guy just to frag him once. But there's a threshold to the amount of punishment that the majority of people can take before the novelty of hunting the top guy turns into an annoyance. Why else do people ask for things like team balancing features? If it's so fun to get raped over and over then team balancing wouldn't be such a prominent issue.

JUNGLIST - I can't speak for everyone but for me it's not about my ego. I simply don't get any fun out of going less than 0.50 in a match, let alone 0.03 (~0-30). And from looking at which types of shooters are popular these days, it's clear that the majority of the player base share more or less the same opinion as me on this matter.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Be the best that you can be and have fun", I can agree with i_hax on that motto.
    Becoming 'good' at the game is just a matter of learning how to play it; while having fun is a subjective thing.
    A player can have fun sabotaging or DM'ing on warfare or fragging players relentless are examples

Not implying anything upon anyone, I think there is ego involved, it seems one can get far too wrapped up in competition.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I_hax, not everyone has the time to play for hours on end to get better. Most people have ambitions that involve the real world and only play games as a hobby, not to get leetz0r at it since they understand that they'll never receive any tangible recognition for being good at a computer game. Many people only have a few hours per week to play ut3 (and that's if they're lucky).
    This point is moot. Although I am currently playing a lot of games because I got laid off... for the first 7 months the game was out, I was working 50 hour weeks and during the on-season snowboarding every single weekday night (I work at the hill). I still became decent at the game (in pub terms) during this time.

I will never receive any recognition for being good at the game, and I could care less. You should be playing for personal satisfaction, if you actually play to try and make something of yourself - you should stop right now, because you won't get anything. Ever. I play the game for fun, but at the same time trying to play to the best of my ability. So what if you have only have time for a few games here and there? - do your best and be happy with it, and don't expect to beat the guy who plays for 20 hours a week. The issue is people simply give up if they lose or die repeatedly. Instead they should sit back and think "okay, he plays 10x as much as me, no wonder I lose".

There is no reason to get frustrated at a game when you are losing to someone with unlimited free time, laugh it off and try to goo them or something... It used to be so much fun trying to cause 'that guy' his only death, or just screw him up, even damage him before you're dead. Accomplishment isn't always a win.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What an interesting discussion. Is there a way to save entire thread-posts? -like onto my harddrive? c/p is dirty

Though I am sure this revised topic, which was initially about a subjective view based on particular game material; now turned competitve gaming vs General Audience gaming, has been discussed to a lesser extent in other threads, both sides brought up popular issues regarding the conflicting opinions of UT's gamer-spectrum.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don't say that Warfare is the worst mode as if it's a fact when your assertion is merely an opinion. The fact that a fairly large proportion of players who still play UT3 online are on Warfare attests to that.
    I hear ya.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Colicedus View Post
    Hmm... I always wonderd why games did not come with a N00b raiting system, they rate games on apropriatness of age, why not level of non-n00bishness it takes to enjoy it. Ofcoures you wouldent call it that.

(On a similar note, UT3 apears in my games file on vista with a rating of ECD (Early child hood Development) umm... should I be letting my younger cousens play around with Mining equiptment with the intent on Caving some ones face in? )
    UT3 has vista rating of ECD, ROFL

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm... I always wonderd why games did not come with a N00b raiting system, they rate games on apropriatness of age, why not level of non-n00bishness it takes to enjoy it. Ofcoures you wouldent call it that.

(On a similar note, UT3 apears in my games file on vista with a rating of ECD (Early child hood Development) umm... should I be letting my younger cousens play around with Mining equiptment with the intent on Caving some ones face in? )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X