Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something doesn't add up about all UT online numbers

No elaborated introduction, directly to the point:

The text are values from gamespy, the screenshots from xfire.
    21. Unreal Tournament
    1502 servers, 439 players
    [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/xfire_ut99.png[/shot]

6. Unreal Tournament 2004
    1235 servers, 2932 players
    [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/xfire_ut2004.png[/shot]

40. Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
    606 servers, 179 players
    [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/xfire_ut3_2.png[/shot]

According to xfire, UT3 has 200% vs UT, but 50% vs UT2004
    According to gamespy, UT3 has 40% vs UT, and 6% of UT2004 players

let's look at a "gamespy players/xfire players" ratio. I assume that the lower the ratio, the least xfire users are traceable.
    UT = 0.89
    UT2004 = 1.59
    UT3 = 0.18
    The UT3 ratio is extremely low, the UT2004 ratio is 9x higher than UT3's.

I suspect I know what this means, but I'd like to know your opinions.

Um....wha?

Comment

I dun get it

Comment

Xfire can only track players who actually use the Xfire client, while Gamespy can track (almost) all online games. Don't assume everyone uses Xfire just because you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
          Xfire can only track players who actually use the Xfire client, while Gamespy can track (almost) all online games. Don't assume everyone uses Xfire just because you do.
          I don't use XFire, and it happens that it is tracking much more players than Gamespy which is the opposite of what you are assuming.

Comment

Wait....wtf are yaw talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
              No elaborated introduction, directly to the point:

The text are values from gamespy, the screenshots from xfire.
              21. Unreal Tournament
              1502 servers, 439 players
              [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/xfire_ut99.png[/shot]

6. Unreal Tournament 2004
              1235 servers, 2932 players
              [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/xfire_ut2004.png[/shot]

40. Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
              606 servers, 179 players
              [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/xfire_ut3_2.png[/shot]

According to xfire, UT3 has 200% vs UT, but 50% vs UT2004
              According to gamespy, UT3 has 40% vs UT, and 6% of UT2004 players

let's look at a "gamespy players/xfire players" ratio. I assume that the lower the ratio, the least xfire users are traceable.
              UT = 0.89
              UT2004 = 1.59
              UT3 = 0.18
              The UT3 ratio is extremely low, the UT2004 ratio is 9x higher than UT3's.

I suspect I know what this means, but I'd like to know your opinions.
              Very nice theory!

I can I can partially explain it, though.
              When I played UT99 I didn't use xfire because none of the community did, everybody just used irc.
              In UT2k4 we still used a lot of irc but people started to bug me about xfire so eventually I got that too.
              For ut3, irc still ofcourse, but even more on xfire!
              See the link?
              When UT99 came out xfire didn't excist yet. Most people that choose an UT game don't move on when a new one comes out. General audience for UT99 are not xfire users.. with exceptions ofcourse.

But another thing: Gamespy counts bots as players when counting for UT2k4, but not for UT99 or UT3. That's why UT2k4 has way more 'players' compared to it's servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Esura View Post
                Wait....wtf are yaw talking about?
                I'm talking about 2 different ways to count the online player numbers of each of the 3 UT releases. Even if they don't show everybody, for me they are unexpected and hard to understand.

Even though the XFire values are 24 hours totals and the gamespy method is point in time, the ratios shouldn't differ by 9 times.

Edit: Taboen, you are right, what you are saying seems to explain it quite well! I didn't even remember that bots were counted on UT2004.

But then it may important that you guys also consider XFire to arrange your PUGs. I mean, who doesn't have IRC could be interested if they didn't need to install and learn how to use it. A lot of the guys that have it, don't come here, so they don't know the server and channel name. otoh how does XFire work?

Comment

Just a side note...

UT3.exe does infact run the editor I sometimes am logged to Xfire while mapping so Xfire is saying I'm playing UT3 and adds it to their statistics.

Also you do realize that pirate servers don't actually log to gamespy but users playing on them while logged to Xfire will be added to Xfire statistics.

Tho the number of users in these 2 situations is small, it does add up to Xfires stats.

Comment

im lost.. this is for pc i think

Comment

Originally posted by SMP_TheProdigy View Post
                      im lost.. this is for pc i think
                      That would be correct.

Comment

i forget to log into or use xfire most of the time...

Comment

I was checking to see if my Ut2004 still works last night. So, I went online to see how many people are still playing ONS. I noted something very strange. Even though many servers listed 6 or 10 or more players, they were actually empty. It seems, the only servers with actual players are still mostly just playing ONS-Torlan over and over again, very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                            I was checking to see if my Ut2004 still works last night. So, I went online to see how many people are still playing ONS. I noted something very strange. Even though many servers listed 6 or 10 or more players, they were actually empty. It seems, the only servers with actual players are still mostly just playing ONS-Torlan over and over again, very strange.
                            Omnipotents seems pretty active to me along a few others, tho it depends on the time you check em.

Comment

Remember, the UT 2004 server browser counts BOTS as being regular human players for some ridiculous reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X