UT3 and windows on a macbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 and windows on a macbook

first off i'd like to say hi to everyone seeing as i just joined. now onto my main post.

i have an opportunity to buy a Macbook with a 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 1GB of ram. if i get it, i plan on putting windows on it (most likely XP but theres a small chance of Vista) and i want to have my games on it but UT3 has the highest requirements. i don't know what kind of graphics the Macbook has and i want to know if it will run the game before i buy it because, as we all know, UT3 has pretty intense graphics and i'd like to be able to experience them. will it run properly?

Originally posted by Mirrorboy View Post
    will it run properly?
    Unfortunately, no.
    Macbooks have a pretty weak integrated graphics setup. You'll find it only just about adequate for UT2004, but not UT3. Im not even certain the very latest MacBooks would be up to it. Sorry!
    I run UT3 on a fairly recent model 2.4ghz intel iMac via bootcamp/windows XP pretty well though.
    If you don't mind running UT2004 instead, then im sure you'll still enjoy that? It has a much healthier online player community anyway (Plus there is a proper Mac version). If you must have UT3 on a Mac laptop, you'll want a late model MacBook Pro instead with 256mb or more of graphics ram.

Pop!

Comment

well, UT04 is better than nothing. in fact, UT04 is a LOT better than nothing. as long as i have some kind of unreal experience, i'm fine. so UT04 will work next to normal?

Comment

I've tried UT2004 briefly on one of the very earliest intel MacBooks and it ran pretty good. The later ones can only be better.

If you don't have a copy already, you might still be better off getting the PC version. It may well perform a bit better than the Mac one, plus PC's versions are usually cheaper. "Unreal Anthology" is very cheap, and you get 4 versions of the PC game in that, including UT2004.

Pop!

Comment

yea, i bought unreal anthology sometime in august i think for 10 bucks at my local gamestop. to be honest, i've never played anything else in that pack than just UT04. at least 4 unreal games are better than one. thanks for your help.

Comment

I'm owning a MacBook myself, I think it's important you check your graphics card innit.
            If it's an Intel GMA 950 it gets troublesome, if you have an Intel GMA X3100 it should work
            with UT2004, I wouldn't try UT3 though, I doubt it would even load faster then 10 minutes...

Your best bet is to try UT2004, though I suggest getting UT2003 because that runs even better, but is very hard to get nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorboy View Post
              first off i'd like to say hi to everyone seeing as i just joined. now onto my main post.

i have an opportunity to buy a Macbook with a 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 1GB of ram. if i get it, i plan on putting windows on it (most likely XP but theres a small chance of Vista) and i want to have my games on it but UT3 has the highest requirements. i don't know what kind of graphics the Macbook has and i want to know if it will run the game before i buy it because, as we all know, UT3 has pretty intense graphics and i'd like to be able to experience them. will it run properly?
              The real fact is not that Unreal has intense graphics. The real fact is MacBook has not decent hardware to play games and costs like two decent PC ...
              That are the REAL facts about UNREAL
              Another fact: Unreal Tournament III has a demo available. You can use it to test the performance with your low-end PC, ehm, MacBook...

Comment

o yea, i forgot about the demo. but i can do without ut3 seeing as ut04 will run next to perfect and that's better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X