Torlan's center node

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torlan's center node

I played Torlan last night, and yet again, like usual, someone on our team thinks that center node is vital to winning. Potentially as a result, we lost.

CENTER NODE.... is LESS than useless, it actually is a detriment to your ability to win. The orb spawns at center node if you control it which basically precludes Raptor orb runs, which are often vital to winning. You can run it on foot, but running it up the valley is almost certain death even with a shield belt. Taking it high and coming down the hill is also fraught with danger because if you're already losing you have to run past enemy controlled territory to get to the prime node. Here's the kicker: If the enemy start to attack center, now you can't spawn where the orb is making it essentially null and void for the time being.

Enemies are attacking the core, and I keep spawning at the USELESS center node. This is a plea to all new or confused players out there: STOP TAKING CENTER NODE!!!!! Please!!!

I don't bother about that node. You know what I do on Torlan, ***** the tank and camp
    Originally posted by bclagge View Post
    which basically precludes Raptor orb runs
    Well, there's a cicada for that ...

And the berserk. And the 2 scorps. And access to redeemer with the cic. And line of sight to the side nodes 1 sec after you jump up there. And...

I agree with you though, because nobody seems to care about the above

Originally posted by bclagge;
    Enemies are attacking the core, and I keep spawning at the USELESS center node.
    That was such an annoyance and frustration to me that I made an effort to remember to press F2 after I die. It's instinctive now and I don't rush anymore. Instead of pressing fire to respawn I bring the map and click a suitable location.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
      Well, there's a cicada for that ...
      The Cicada is an inferior vehicle to run the orb because it has such slow lateral movement. It makes people latched on a bright painted target for anyone in sight with a stinger. Not to mention anyone with half decent aim with a Shock or sniper rifle. Or for those who want to shame the orb carrier, an Enforcer.

And the berserk. And the 2 scorps. And access to redeemer with the cic. And line of sight to the side nodes 1 sec after you jump up there. And...
      Berserk spawns every 90 seconds and the Deemer every 120. Hardly worth it, imo. The Scorpions are only useful for attacking either prime node because they are in the valley. Going to a side node in a Scorpion from there takes so long that just using the jump pad on foot is more suitable.

Your argument here highlights the central problem, and that is that center appears to be valuable. In reality, no matter what resources it seems to bring you, center node breaks a team's front into pieces. I'm sure most would agree that center is more likely to make you lose than win. I think you agree because, "That was such an annoyance and frustration to me," indicates you don't want to spawn at center. Even though it has the orb, two scorpions, a berserk, a Cicada and central placement in the map? That's right, because experienced players, like me and you, know from past matches that center node is like a death knell for your team. You'd better hope that the enemy team also has a nub that wants center node.

Comment

Not to mention that it's rare to be able to find the Cicada in a usable state because the bridge is a high-traffic area, so canny enemies will pre-damage it for you.

It's not so useless on one of the other Torlan layouts though, where it gives you a Goliath or Darkwalker.

Comment

I somewhat agree with the responses here but the center node is vital for the orb carrier, less travel time to get to enemy prime node (or whatever node you need). Unless you get a teammate that is willing to spawn at the core so they can tow you with the orb with any flying vehicle there, then you don't need the center node, but not a lot of teammates I know does this, it's a waste of time for them.

It's good for defense but then again, not a lot of people like to hold a node, especially the enemy prime. There are people to kill, cores to demolish and points to get. I see too much offense, not enough defense. I only know of one ps3 warfare clan that does this well and that's GOW, in my opinion.

Comment

I normally take the orb on foot, from the center node, over the bridge, and head around the back of the prime node, rather than coming in from the front. When you have the center node, the bridge tends to be a lower-traffic area, and the space between the prime node and tank node is almost always that way.

Comment

Even worse is the bridge node in onyx coast.

The center node in Torlan is valuable in the mid game where you grab the orb, go up the jumppad and use the orb to quickly capture either of the side nodes - but only when your opponents have neither side node.

The other advantage of having the center is that it's my favourite tank route - you take the tank, defend your prime, when the time is right, take out the side node furthest from your core, then go t othe middle, ideally picking up a beserk and drive off the side of the bridge, and quickly wreck the enemy centre node with your beserk. Then you advance and take out the prime, then reverse, sit back and cut off any reinforcements. I've won many a round from this little route.

Game over.

Otherwise I agree 100% - center node is useless , and anyboy who takes the node there at the start of the game needs painful re-education.

Comment

I played Torlan last night, and yet again, like usual, someone on our team thinks that center node is vital to winning. Potentially as a result, we lost.

CENTER NODE.... is LESS than useless, it actually is a detriment to your ability to win. The orb spawns at center node if you control it which basically precludes Raptor orb runs, which are often vital to winning. You can run it on foot, but running it up the valley is almost certain death even with a shield belt. Taking it high and coming down the hill is also fraught with danger because if you're already losing you have to run past enemy controlled territory to get to the prime node. Here's the kicker: If the enemy start to attack center, now you can't spawn where the orb is making it essentially null and void for the time being.

Enemies are attacking the core, and I keep spawning at the USELESS center node. This is a plea to all new or confused players out there: STOP TAKING CENTER NODE!!!!! Please!!!
                I like building center node because then my team finally pays attention to me. I'm all like Answer me or I'll build center! and they think I'm joking. Then when our orb is sitting there surrounded by Scorpions they finally answer FINE YOU JERK, WE'LL TALK TO YOU. It's great.

But yeah, you're right. And no matter how many times I say it in a match, politely or otherwise, someone builds it. It's even worse when we control the board, the enemy has the center node, and I see it flashing that someone on my team is attacking it. *facepalm*

That node should never be touched before overtime.

Comment

Really it depends on your position in the match,
                  if the enemy prime is neutral or under your control then the center node can be helpful.
                  you just have to use it right.
                  But seriously, try choosing where you are going to spawn so you don't get frustrated spawning somewhere without the orb, vehicles, or somewhere without an advantage.

imo the goliath or darkwalker is a better node setup.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                    Even worse is the bridge node in onyx coast.
                    Driving the Levi across that bridge to the enemy core in Onyx is one of the most satisfying accomplishments in all of Warfare.

I think Torlan's center is worse. At least in Onyx you can hover over to a prime relatively easy and while the node itself is kinda pointless, it's a great vantage point. You can hit both prime nodes from the platform and you get a sniper rifle and avril. The rifle is great for either people in the Levi turrets or someone holding the orb near a node. I've never lost an Onyx match and said, "It's because of that stupid bridge node."

Comment

The Cicada is an inferior vehicle to run the orb because it has such slow lateral movement. It makes people latched on a bright painted target for anyone in sight with a stinger. Not to mention anyone with half decent aim with a Shock or sniper rifle. Or for those who want to shame the orb carrier, an Enforcer.
                      Heh, I see. I wasn't getting the point, I was so used to fly it low on UT2004, almost hovering like a manta... I only used half of the brain cell to reply, nvm

I only considered the node in the first 3 or 4 months, and it was not due to gameplay on Torlan. It's because before the custom maps, there wasn't a single chance to fly the cicada in UT3, the only other map that has it (Dawn) didn't even get voted! So much effort designing vehicles that people don't end up using!

Comment

Cicada is an inferior vehicle... no lock on means raptor just flattens it, does fly better though (no drifting)
                        but yea centre node is pointless, just wish those SPMA's were removed to encourage attacking

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                          It's because before the custom maps, there wasn't a single chance to fly the cicada in UT3, the only other map that has it (Dawn) didn't even get voted! So much effort designing vehicles that people don't end up using!
                          The SPMA is even rarer, cuz I don't think it's on any map except for Torlan.

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                            The SPMA is even rarer, cuz I don't think it's on any map except for Torlan.
                            Suspense..
                            Eww...*shudders*

Comment

Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rd View Post
                              Suspense..
                              Eww...*shudders*
                              Yeah... Suspense is a game mode, though, isn't it? Isn't it the one where you try to grab the flag and you also have hoverboards and vehicles? I think it might be called something else in the server browser, but once you join you see it's all Suspense.

Comment

Working...
                              X