No announcement yet.

Idea's to make a tournament work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I initially brought up the entrance fee thing...but after that sank in for a while I think it would probably be better to have no money and a minimal amount of teams the first time we do this. Call them mini tournaments...but seriously until we can get a 4 team tourney on 1 game mode organized and executed we ought to not be talking money...or multiple brackets.

That's another topic that hasn't been discussed much on this thread...game mode. I think trying to mix all the game modes in a single tourney is a mistake. We should focus on the one with the most active clans...I'm not 100% sure what that is...but it's probably warfare. Warfare is not my mode of choice so I'm not saying it because of that...it just seems like I see more activity from the warfare clans. A future goal could be having a tourney every quarter but each quarter is a diff mode...1/4=warfare 2/4=tdm 3/4=vctf 4/4=ctf...or something like that.

Having money down the line will be important to grow and bring new people in/old people back, no argument there, but for now money will likely just complicate things. Right now I think we need to work on the core community....the people that will be here playing regardless of if there is money or not.

Comment

I just noticed there is a thread started for a multi bracket, multi mode, entry fee tourney.

More power to ya if you can pull it off man, and sincerely, good luck...I'll totally be in on it...but I still stand by everything I said in my previous post though.

Comment

Originally posted by WOPR-1 View Post
        I know I initially brought up the entrance fee thing...but after that sank in for a while I think it would probably be better to have no money and a minimal amount of teams the first time we do this. Call them mini tournaments...but seriously until we can get a 4 team tourney on 1 game mode organized and executed we ought to not be talking money...or multiple brackets.

That's another topic that hasn't been discussed much on this thread...game mode. I think trying to mix all the game modes in a single tourney is a mistake. We should focus on the one with the most active clans...I'm not 100% sure what that is...but it's probably warfare. Warfare is not my mode of choice so I'm not saying it because of that...it just seems like I see more activity from the warfare clans. A future goal could be having a tourney every quarter but each quarter is a diff mode...1/4=warfare 2/4=tdm 3/4=vctf 4/4=ctf...or something like that.

Having money down the line will be important to grow and bring new people in/old people back, no argument there, but for now money will likely just complicate things. Right now I think we need to work on the core community....the people that will be here playing regardless of if there is money or not.
        Actually at this point I think there are more CTF specialized teams than Warfare (187, xTc, tRi, qM, Fear, and tOp compared to GoW, tWc, SMP and TRU), But I agree with all your other points.

Comment

dont have vehicle modes in there unless ur going to have a separate prize for them, cuz it will come down to, "it was unfair we played warfare more than our modes" visa versa

Comment

I think you should host a one day tournament on one or two servers so everyone knows where to meet and at what time. Some people don't like setting up a schedule for every match. You need to just pick a weekend and have people available to sign up for that day. Set the time for each match on that day. Also, I would do 3 separate tournaments for beginners, intermediate, and advanced skilled players. People can determine there skill by what level they usually play the bots.

Comment

that first part has already been tried (about a weekend) and failed

Comment

Originally posted by WOPR-1 View Post
                FYI - I registered a new IRC channel on mibbit last night...so far it seems to work although it doesn't show up when you search the name yet. If anyone wants to check it out go tohttp://www.mibbit.com
                Thx for the channel and glad the mibbit find will come in handy.

Originally posted by WOPR-1
                +1

Like WOPR stated...start small...4 teams, 1 gametype and 1 day. Call it a test tournament to see if it can be done w/ the bare minimum.

Comment

Yeah good find on the mibbit KurlonT. It's pretty cool. I've never really had much reason to get into understanding how IRC worked before so it's been interesting learning how to set up a channel...all the nickserv chanserv commands and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                  X