X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Midnight View Post
    Take it from someone who has run a few tournaments:

You guys need to get an IRC channel and make everyone who is playing hang out there. Seriously. It will help weed out the men from the boys. Teams who can't bother to get on IRC won't be bothered to show up either.

You'll never get 100% participation, so you have to plan for that and be able to make due with the teams that do show up. (Although it should be most of them if you've picked the right teams.)
    Great points.

Not sure if the PS3 browser works with Flash/Web based Chat rooms but if it does you wouldn't even have to fire up the PC if there was one setup for PS3 UT3 events.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Midnight View Post

You guys need to get an IRC channel and make everyone who is playing hang out there. Seriously. It will help weed out the men from the boys. Teams who can't bother to get on IRC won't be bothered to show up either.

Only pick teams who seem very committed and are already known to be around and play often. If that's only 4 teams, so be it.

You'll never get 100% participation, so you have to plan for that and be able to make due with the teams that do show up. (Although it should be most of them if you've picked the right teams.)

You need to have quick access to everyone who is playing, not just team leaders. IRC is the best place for that. Get used to it, it's really not hard to get on IRC.

You should all use voice servers if you want to play as a team. Having a community voice server available for all the teams to use would be a good idea because again it keeps everyone together and communicating.

Having people sending AIM pm's to 1 person here and 1 person there is a recipe for disaster. As soon as 1 person from a team is not around the whole thing will break down and that team will be a no-show cause you don't know how to get in touch with everyone from that team. Even if you have every single person on AIM or whatever, it's still not the best way to communicate for a tourney, IRC is.

I would recommend having a scrim night a couple times before the tourney where interested teams can show up and scrim other teams. This will help you figure out which teams are flakes. You don't have to make it mandatory, but it will help you find out who is willing to show up.

Each team needs to designate a captain who's job it is to ensure that their team knows when they are playing, and shows up. If they can't make it, it is the captain's job to say so in advance, not the day of the tourney. You need to make somebody responsible or else the team will just assume someone else will handle it.
    Sounds good

Leave a comment:

• replied

Only pick teams who seem very committed and are already known to be around and play often. If that's only 4 teams, so be it.

You need to have quick access to everyone who is playing, not just team leaders. IRC is the best place for that. Get used to it, it's really not hard to get on IRC.

You should all use voice servers if you want to play as a team. Having a community voice server available for all the teams to use would be a good idea because again it keeps everyone together and communicating.

Having people sending AIM pm's to 1 person here and 1 person there is a recipe for disaster. As soon as 1 person from a team is not around the whole thing will break down and that team will be a no-show cause you don't know how to get in touch with everyone from that team. Even if you have every single person on AIM or whatever, it's still not the best way to communicate for a tourney, IRC is.

I would recommend having a scrim night a couple times before the tourney where interested teams can show up and scrim other teams. This will help you figure out which teams are flakes. You don't have to make it mandatory, but it will help you find out who is willing to show up.

Each team needs to designate a captain who's job it is to ensure that their team knows when they are playing, and shows up. If they can't make it, it is the captain's job to say so in advance, not the day of the tourney. You need to make somebody responsible or else the team will just assume someone else will handle it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [edit] to the closed tournament thread

everyone should know - as i think its very noble/admirable. . . DSX WOPR just donated some money to me for the tournament via paypal.. (he was the only one on that team to mic with me and the ONLY reason they were allowed to hold a spot on the bracket)....

kudos wopr - you're a man of your word..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Communication was the problem guys. Nobody checked on the thread enough. We could of had seven teams an hour after the tournament started. We could have found an 8th team. .... a lot that could have been done. The truth is..with the way the servers are set up now... it would have taken everyone being on perfect time, with team ready.. Just forming new brackets and resetting the servers would have put us quite a while behind. A smaller tournament could have happened..but after I looked at where it was headed/from where it came...and what was going to come out of it (only one server with spectator)...it just seemed lame. I'm not angry with anyone at all... Pretty disappointed..FOR the community. I bought an elite with all access. chasing ut3....tried my damnedest (how do you spell that?) to help the community..

If the expansion gives this game a comeback - or epic repairs the game/you'll see me around...otherwise - I'm out till UT4....

Its been fun people, never thought it would last 10 months for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by xXBIOxSOAKERXx View Post
    yea but its all twc's fault our bad we only 6 ppl ready to go and play
    Don't blame it on tWc. It was more than just them. When the tournament was supposed to start, KS told me that the only clans online were tRi, PcX, ARCH, and tOp. He told the clans that showed up on time that the other clans were no shows.

Basically, this just showed that the PS3 community doesn't care. It's sad. KS was ****** and I would be too considering how much time, work, and money he put into this. There was no excuse for not showing up. The thread was up for a month and the tournament was on a Saturday. There was plenty of notice.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yea but its all twc's fault our bad we only 6 ppl ready to go and play

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah... i rushed my errands this morning so I could be home in time too! Boy was I bummed...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i woke up early today hecka excited for the tourney =/ but yeah im willing to help/contribute to this tourney i really wanna see this happen! its great to see us all working together to bring the community back. hmmmmm should we all consider possibly creating a forum of our own?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All I know is that its pretty **** on KS, I mean the man has taken the time to actually set up servers, get KB/M enabled. If I was him I'd probably sell my ps3.

I would hope a tournament set over 7 days would work, it gives people a chance to get organised otherwise its elimination. 1-2 days, first games must take place.

2-4 Second round,

5-7 Final.

It would give clans or teams a chance to practice in between matches.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Drokun View Post
    Brackets and rosters were posted were everyone could see them in KS' tourny, so clearly that doesn't work.
    Where were they posted?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    what if you schedule the tournament like during summer break or christmas break, that way more people would be around and might even have a bigger bracket????!!

or maybe dont do it by clans, just say four member groups that way people will chose who they want to play wit and this way they will make sure to be there, and even if no shows it wont start wars between clans??/!!!!

just some ideas........nothin special

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ace111 View Post
    Any idea's to raise money for prizes? I'm good for $100 . I would like to raise $1000 for the tournament.We only have $900 to go!

Sponsors?- Epic?
    Entry fees?
    I could sell my body... but we would be broke :-(

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Brackets and rosters were posted were everyone could see them in KS' tourny, so clearly that doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    post brackets and list rosters and match times were everyone can see them so info can be deseminated properly...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X