No announcement yet.

Idea's to make a tournament work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff. Although I would have to agree once a year seems a bit long. I think it could/should be done every quarter.

I honestly think the fastest way to weed out the non-committed is to charge an entry fee (up front). I know KS was purposely trying not to do that, which was admirable but people took advantage obviously (including my own clan, which I am extremely embarrassed of at the moment). I bet if people had some of their own cash riding on it there would a much higher chance they would show up! The pot would be pretty big even if every player only had to give like 10-20 bucks...

One other thing is it seems like it would be a good thing to have maybe 2-3 people on sort of a tournament core team to organize it (and also keep the same people for as many tournaments as possible for consistency). Maybe one person focuses on getting teams signed up, another on getting the servers ready, another on brackets, etc. Spread the work out. I would definitely be willing to help out...never set up servers for a tourney before...but when it comes to being an ****/persistent f*ck I'm your guy!

Lastly I think maybe the first few tourneys need to be smaller...which may mean not everyone that wants to play can. Maybe the first one is only a 4 team tourney...but it's better to have a 4 team tourney go off without a hitch than an 8 team that goes down in flames.

Anyone willing to put in effort into continuing to try and revive UT3 has my full support and I will help in any way I can. So if anyone does start moving forward on a new tourney and you feel the need to delegate some work...let me know...I'm totally in.

Comment

4 team is just too small, I'd say 8 teams, and clans only (no clan submitting 2 teams or something) and probably don't go over 10$ pp

Comment

Getting people to pay probally wont work, unless it's a LAN tournament. The best thing you can do is get sponsers to put more prizes on the table. The bigger the pot, the more likely you are to have people show up. Also try having sign-ups over a 3 week period. Have the clan give you their complete roster during the sign-up, and allow substitutions out of that list only. Also try having the ladder ready at the end of the 3rd week, so the combatants can pick and choose the times that work better for them. It may take 4-5 days to complete the tournament, but the extra freedom for the teams gametimes, may go a long way. If teams drop out/or have no-show players, have the opposing team get a bye to the next round/have them play crippled with the people that show up. You never know, a team may be a man short, and still get the win. Only real way to be fair to everyone. A season/ladder would go a long way towards weeding out the possible no-show teams. If they make it to the regular season matches, then they will most likely show for the tournament, and then if a team doesnt show you could just take the next team in line instead.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Drokun, Yeah I agree 4 teams is way small...but maybe baby steps is what is needed here...just me thinking out loud...

Sincreator I like the idea of a season ladder...I agree that would help a lot. The UGL site might be able to help us out with that no? It doesn't look like many people use it right now but it seems like it would fit the bill for what we're talking about here...would take care of a lot of admin work all by itself.

Comment

The way I look at it we shouldn't be involving money in anyway yet (as entrance fees or prizes). What we need to do is setup a decent set of rules and protocols (what we've been doing so far in this topic) and try for a bare minimum tournament (4 teams would be enough to test our ability to arrange a tourney). If we can get that to work in a decent time frame (a weekend) with proper spectator support and possibly a live stream, then we can take another stab at a 4 team tournament with a different set of teams (I know there are a good handful of teams that we can count on pretty well, but we need at least 8 for a larger tourney).

Now if we get 2 4 team tourneys to work without a hitch, then it would be time to move on to a larger 8+ team, 1-2 week tourney. If we get one of those to work fine then, and only then, should we think about bringing large monetary prizes and/or entrance fees. I think we need to be able to guarantee that this'll work before we have people putting themselves on the line like KS did. KS already paid for the prize for the last tourney and he's out for that cash and the money he used to for the hosting servers. I think this method (essentially baby steps) would work best to getting a successful tourney. Then after that we can make the tourney a seasonal thing (i.e. 4 a year, once a season).

So what do you guys think of that?

Comment

Don't know about anyone else but I'm good with that.

I'm cool with there being no money involved as well...I personally don't require any extra incentive to want to play! I was just trying to think of a way to avoid people backing out...usually money is a good way to do that but hey if we can get enough people to participate without money as a draw that's great as well.

Another thing that just came to my mind...again just thinking out loud here...is that instead of one big 8 team match...it could be structured more like conferences in professional sports...take NBA finals as an example...we could have East and West (physical location irrelevant) each with 4 teams (4 seeds instead of 8 like NBA)...I still think initially a plain 4 team tourney would be a good start but using a conference structure would be a way to expand (x2) without disrupting the initial process.

Comment

One of the problems that I see here is getting enough teams together for one gametype. Ideally the tournament should focus on either CTF or TDM. One game mode, one set of rules, everyone plays the same way so it is even across the board. Otherwise how do you really determine a winner?

Maybe you do CTF this time, and TDM next time. But by the sound of it, getting 8 teams together who will show up and play the same game is a stretch right now. So go with 4, 5, or 6 teams. Figure out a format that will work, with that number of teams I would suggest round robin where each team plays every other team. This gets a lot of games in with only a few teams. Divide it up between two days if that makes it easier.

One of the goals for now should be to expand the number of teams playing and wanting to compete. To do that you need a system that fosters a community atmosphere, and by that I mean IRC and Voice chat where the competitive teams hang out. Forums are good also, but they do not tie people together as well as live chat. It is much easier to setup an impromptu clan match on IRC where both teams are already hanging out and you can just ask them for a game.

This idea is nothing new, the PC crowd has been doing this for years and years with a lot of success (although that scene is as dead as it has ever been right now). I'm just trying to urge you guys to take the next step in building your community of teams and become more active. I think you all are hampered more than you know by the fact that everyone is not coming together in one place. Find a home and make it yours.

Comment

You cant do a online tournament in just like 2 days..it should last about 2-3 weeks because not everyone will be on at the same time and junkk.

Comment

Originally posted by Drokun View Post
                    How do we set up an IRC channel for Ps3 Players or is there already one available?
                    Use Mibbit and do a search for "PS3 + UT3" in the find channels box. It should bring up nice selection of channels but you might have to try a few before you find one that actually connects. BTW I would find one that has an active moderator...

P.S. I was able to join #ps3 @ irc.efnet.net w/ no problem so I know it does work w/ the PS3 browser.

Comment

We must have prize money. Thats how we grow the community.There are several High level players that would come back to the community if there was some $$$$ on the line.
                      I believe I personally can bring over at least five more players from the xbox that stopped playing ut3 because MLG didn't pick it up. They will find a way to get a ps3 for a week(then Possible Buy one ).
                      Two players already bought ps3's coming from the xbox to play in KS's tournament (EK_trendy & tOp_shock).
                      I can easily get 12- 16 teams to join and commit with a format that gives evryone a chance.
                      I think an A & B bracket is a good start.

Let's do it once a quarter to keep the community growing.

The only problem will be keep raising sponsorship money every quarter.
                      We may have to go to an entry fee after the first one.

Comment

FYI - I registered a new IRC channel on mibbit last night...so far it seems to work although it doesn't show up when you search the name yet. If anyone wants to check it out go tohttp://www.mibbit.com

You don't even need to register if you don't want to (would be better if you did register though, so we know who is who)...just make up a nick and put in #UT3PS3 for the channel and hit go.

It even works on my cell phone which is cool (zsirc free irc client app for windows mobile).

If anyone has any issues getting it to work let me know.

Initially I was looking for an existing channel but it seemed they were either already busy with their own topic (not related to ps3 ut3) or completely dead so I figured I'd start a new one and see how it went.

Comment

Originally posted by WOPR-1 View Post
                          FYI - I registered a new IRC channel on mibbit last night...so far it seems to work although it doesn't show up when you search the name yet. If anyone wants to check it out go tohttp://www.mibbit.com

You don't even need to register if you don't want to (would be better if you did register though, so we know who is who)...just make up a nick and put in #UT3PS3 for the channel and hit go.

It even works on my cell phone which is cool (zsirc free irc client app for windows mobile).

If anyone has any issues getting it to work let me know.

Initially I was looking for an existing channel but it seemed they were either already busy with their own topic (not related to ps3 ut3) or completely dead so I figured I'd start a new one and see how it went.
                          Everone that is interested in the tournament please do this

Comment

[LIST=1][*]I'll match every dollar donated to the prize pool, up to $500. This will give us up to $1,000 to divide into prizes. The prizes could be a copy of a game, console accessories or cold hard cash. plus, we may be able to get some prizes donated by Epic.[*]All tournament communications need to be in one place. SMPut3.com will be able to handle this easily.

Wow!!! That is great! Ill take you up on that. So Far we have Ace's $100 and a $100 match. Lets get some mor coming in!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace111 View Post
                              [LIST=1][*]I'll match every dollar donated to the prize pool, up to $500. This will give us up to $1,000 to divide into prizes. The prizes could be a copy of a game, console accessories or cold hard cash. plus, we may be able to get some prizes donated by Epic.[*]All tournament communications need to be in one place. SMPut3.com will be able to handle this easily.

Wow!!! That is great! Ill take you up on that. So Far we have Ace's $100 and a $100 match. Lets get some mor coming in!
                              Again, let's get organized properly before we start talking about money and prizes, we don't want to get a bunch of people exited about a tournament again and then have the same result as last time.

Comment

This is a possible entry Fee style format

Example Brackets
                                CTF "A"list

QM 9 members $20 entry each = $180 - Minimum of 6 man roster
                                ICE 8 members $20 entry each= $160 Minimum of 6 man roster
                                xTc 10 members $20 entry each= $200 Minimum of 6 man roster
                                tRi 10 members $20 entry each= $200 Minimum of 6 man roster
                                tOP 8 members $20 entry each= $160 Minimum of 6 man roster

Total Prize money for CTF "A" list $900 + 10% of the "B" list money ($100)= $1000

CTF
                                B list= Help

Arch
                                PCX
                                Mega
                                DSX

Warfare "A" List

GOW
                                TWC
                                TRU
                                SMP

Warfare B list= Help
                                Deathmatch & VCTF also

The money could be paid through Paypal. We will sell virtual entry tickets on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                                X