Idea's to make a tournament work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You cant do a online tournament in just like 2 days..it should last about 2-3 weeks because not everyone will be on at the same time and junkk.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One of the problems that I see here is getting enough teams together for one gametype. Ideally the tournament should focus on either CTF or TDM. One game mode, one set of rules, everyone plays the same way so it is even across the board. Otherwise how do you really determine a winner?

Maybe you do CTF this time, and TDM next time. But by the sound of it, getting 8 teams together who will show up and play the same game is a stretch right now. So go with 4, 5, or 6 teams. Figure out a format that will work, with that number of teams I would suggest round robin where each team plays every other team. This gets a lot of games in with only a few teams. Divide it up between two days if that makes it easier.

One of the goals for now should be to expand the number of teams playing and wanting to compete. To do that you need a system that fosters a community atmosphere, and by that I mean IRC and Voice chat where the competitive teams hang out. Forums are good also, but they do not tie people together as well as live chat. It is much easier to setup an impromptu clan match on IRC where both teams are already hanging out and you can just ask them for a game.

This idea is nothing new, the PC crowd has been doing this for years and years with a lot of success (although that scene is as dead as it has ever been right now). I'm just trying to urge you guys to take the next step in building your community of teams and become more active. I think you all are hampered more than you know by the fact that everyone is not coming together in one place. Find a home and make it yours.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don't know about anyone else but I'm good with that.

I'm cool with there being no money involved as well...I personally don't require any extra incentive to want to play! I was just trying to think of a way to avoid people backing out...usually money is a good way to do that but hey if we can get enough people to participate without money as a draw that's great as well.

Another thing that just came to my mind...again just thinking out loud here...is that instead of one big 8 team match...it could be structured more like conferences in professional sports...take NBA finals as an example...we could have East and West (physical location irrelevant) each with 4 teams (4 seeds instead of 8 like NBA)...I still think initially a plain 4 team tourney would be a good start but using a conference structure would be a way to expand (x2) without disrupting the initial process.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The way I look at it we shouldn't be involving money in anyway yet (as entrance fees or prizes). What we need to do is setup a decent set of rules and protocols (what we've been doing so far in this topic) and try for a bare minimum tournament (4 teams would be enough to test our ability to arrange a tourney). If we can get that to work in a decent time frame (a weekend) with proper spectator support and possibly a live stream, then we can take another stab at a 4 team tournament with a different set of teams (I know there are a good handful of teams that we can count on pretty well, but we need at least 8 for a larger tourney).

Now if we get 2 4 team tourneys to work without a hitch, then it would be time to move on to a larger 8+ team, 1-2 week tourney. If we get one of those to work fine then, and only then, should we think about bringing large monetary prizes and/or entrance fees. I think we need to be able to guarantee that this'll work before we have people putting themselves on the line like KS did. KS already paid for the prize for the last tourney and he's out for that cash and the money he used to for the hosting servers. I think this method (essentially baby steps) would work best to getting a successful tourney. Then after that we can make the tourney a seasonal thing (i.e. 4 a year, once a season).

So what do you guys think of that?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Drokun, Yeah I agree 4 teams is way small...but maybe baby steps is what is needed here...just me thinking out loud...

Sincreator I like the idea of a season ladder...I agree that would help a lot. The UGL site might be able to help us out with that no? It doesn't look like many people use it right now but it seems like it would fit the bill for what we're talking about here...would take care of a lot of admin work all by itself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Getting people to pay probally wont work, unless it's a LAN tournament. The best thing you can do is get sponsers to put more prizes on the table. The bigger the pot, the more likely you are to have people show up. Also try having sign-ups over a 3 week period. Have the clan give you their complete roster during the sign-up, and allow substitutions out of that list only. Also try having the ladder ready at the end of the 3rd week, so the combatants can pick and choose the times that work better for them. It may take 4-5 days to complete the tournament, but the extra freedom for the teams gametimes, may go a long way. If teams drop out/or have no-show players, have the opposing team get a bye to the next round/have them play crippled with the people that show up. You never know, a team may be a man short, and still get the win. Only real way to be fair to everyone. A season/ladder would go a long way towards weeding out the possible no-show teams. If they make it to the regular season matches, then they will most likely show for the tournament, and then if a team doesnt show you could just take the next team in line instead.

Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    4 team is just too small, I'd say 8 teams, and clans only (no clan submitting 2 teams or something) and probably don't go over 10$ pp

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good stuff. Although I would have to agree once a year seems a bit long. I think it could/should be done every quarter.

I honestly think the fastest way to weed out the non-committed is to charge an entry fee (up front). I know KS was purposely trying not to do that, which was admirable but people took advantage obviously (including my own clan, which I am extremely embarrassed of at the moment). I bet if people had some of their own cash riding on it there would a much higher chance they would show up! The pot would be pretty big even if every player only had to give like 10-20 bucks...

One other thing is it seems like it would be a good thing to have maybe 2-3 people on sort of a tournament core team to organize it (and also keep the same people for as many tournaments as possible for consistency). Maybe one person focuses on getting teams signed up, another on getting the servers ready, another on brackets, etc. Spread the work out. I would definitely be willing to help out...never set up servers for a tourney before...but when it comes to being an ****/persistent f*ck I'm your guy!

Lastly I think maybe the first few tourneys need to be smaller...which may mean not everyone that wants to play can. Maybe the first one is only a 4 team tourney...but it's better to have a 4 team tourney go off without a hitch than an 8 team that goes down in flames.

Anyone willing to put in effort into continuing to try and revive UT3 has my full support and I will help in any way I can. So if anyone does start moving forward on a new tourney and you feel the need to delegate some work...let me know...I'm totally in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Drokun View Post
    What I'd ask of Epic games would be the use of some of the always empty dedicated servers they wield, and maybe 1 of em as a prize for the winning team (so it'll host whatever settings/gametypes they want it to)

that would be nice to have.. but its not gonna draw in any new players

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What I'd ask of Epic games would be the use of some of the always empty dedicated servers they wield, and maybe 1 of em as a prize for the winning team (so it'll host whatever settings/gametypes they want it to)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    honestly we had people like walshy pro-halo 3 player and **** intrested because of a tourney, if epic would put up a small tourney like 1g-5g this game would gain alot of popularity, really how much is 5grand compared to the priceless advertising that a tourney brings?

in these competetive games people want/need tournies, most PC games for the past 10 yrs have been popular because they were the ones with tournies, and the other games without tournies died.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think it would be a nightmare trying to organize this more than once a year. Maybe twice would work.... but... that's a lot of work for the volunteers. If Epic gets involved, the prizes could be significant and they could provide the servers, spectator modes and live streams.

I guess my thinking is to take this to a different level and get the people who can really make it happen involved. It's an easy "win - win" for us and Epic. We want to have fun and they want to keep interest in their product.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    annual is a bit long? :P
    but some good stuff up there

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think a week is still too short, but agree that 30 days is too long. People have jobs, school and other responsibilities that will keep them away.

Great Ideas so far recap:
    1. Spread the tournament over 1 to 2 weeks
    2. Assign one team member from each clan to handle their internal clan communications
    3. Set the brackets and require opposing teams to figure out on their own when to compete within the 1 to 2 week schedule (this is why I suggested 30 days of mayhem)
    4. The tournament goes forward. No shows count as "Forfiet", with the winner advancing
    5. Schedule the event during school and/or holiday breaks. i think the next Spring Break is a great opportunity
    6. Arrange an IRC channel for group discussion. If not, host a map in UT3 so the clan leaders can talk. Do it more than once if there are more than 8 people invloved

A few new thoughts:

I realize it's just a game, but the UT3 community is just plain fun. I would like to see it continue to grow. I'm sure we can get Epic involved somehow. Maybe we could time the tournament to coinside with the "Major Expansion" or other Epic event. I'll reach out to their marketing department and follow up with you here.

I doubt people are playing for prizes/money and their true interest is in bragging rights, however...
    1. I'll match every dollar donated to the prize pool, up to $500. This will give us up to $1,000 to divide into prizes. The prizes could be a copy of a game, console accessories or cold hard cash. plus, we may be able to get some prizes donated by Epic.
    2. All tournament communications need to be in one place. SMPut3.com will be able to handle this easily. This means the brackets, rules, rosters, etc. are all in one place. Promote the event via all clan websites and Epic, but keep the important stuff in one place.
    3. ALL participants must provide a means of communication, via email, PSN or other method, even though they have one person assigned to communications. I can create an online sign up form for this.
    4. Create a master "Tournament" PSN account for communications
    5. In 4 Vs. 4 matches, the match will start as soon as the start time passes and 3 of each team shows up. This could create uneven teams, but the schedule must move forward. Clans need to manage their own team members and have alternates standing by so they don't get hammered when someone fails to show. This is fair to everyone waiting for their turn. Obviously a 15 minute window to show up within is appropriate.
    6. Require teams to provide a "Will Play" list and at least 2 alternates if they have additional members available
    7. Lets do some polls to find out about best days to play, time zones, etc.
    8. if we make this a successful annual event, we may be able to get dedicated Midway Servers donated. It's a stretch, but the better organized we are, the more likely this will happen.

Let's not look for any one person or clan to blame for yesterday. It happens. Let's move forward.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UrLord75 View Post
    Where were they posted?
    First post of his thread, where everything was posted

How do we set up an IRC channel for Ps3 Players or is there already one available?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X