No announcement yet.

Idea's to make a tournament work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah... i rushed my errands this morning so I could be home in time too! Boy was I bummed...

Comment

yea but its all twc's fault our bad we only 6 ppl ready to go and play

Comment

Originally posted by xXBIOxSOAKERXx View Post
        yea but its all twc's fault our bad we only 6 ppl ready to go and play
        Don't blame it on tWc. It was more than just them. When the tournament was supposed to start, KS told me that the only clans online were tRi, PcX, ARCH, and tOp. He told the clans that showed up on time that the other clans were no shows.

Basically, this just showed that the PS3 community doesn't care. It's sad. KS was ****** and I would be too considering how much time, work, and money he put into this. There was no excuse for not showing up. The thread was up for a month and the tournament was on a Saturday. There was plenty of notice.

Comment

Communication was the problem guys. Nobody checked on the thread enough. We could of had seven teams an hour after the tournament started. We could have found an 8th team. .... a lot that could have been done. The truth is..with the way the servers are set up now... it would have taken everyone being on perfect time, with team ready.. Just forming new brackets and resetting the servers would have put us quite a while behind. A smaller tournament could have happened..but after I looked at where it was headed/from where it came...and what was going to come out of it (only one server with spectator)...it just seemed lame. I'm not angry with anyone at all... Pretty disappointed..FOR the community. I bought an elite with all access. chasing ut3....tried my damnedest (how do you spell that?) to help the community..

If the expansion gives this game a comeback - or epic repairs the game/you'll see me around...otherwise - I'm out till UT4....

Its been fun people, never thought it would last 10 months for me.

Comment

[edit] to the closed tournament thread

everyone should know - as i think its very noble/admirable. . . DSX WOPR just donated some money to me for the tournament via paypal.. (he was the only one on that team to mic with me and the ONLY reason they were allowed to hold a spot on the bracket)....

kudos wopr - you're a man of your word..

Comment

Take it from someone who has run a few tournaments:

You guys need to get an IRC channel and make everyone who is playing hang out there. Seriously. It will help weed out the men from the boys. Teams who can't bother to get on IRC won't be bothered to show up either.

Only pick teams who seem very committed and are already known to be around and play often. If that's only 4 teams, so be it.

You'll never get 100% participation, so you have to plan for that and be able to make due with the teams that do show up. (Although it should be most of them if you've picked the right teams.)

You need to have quick access to everyone who is playing, not just team leaders. IRC is the best place for that. Get used to it, it's really not hard to get on IRC.

You should all use voice servers if you want to play as a team. Having a community voice server available for all the teams to use would be a good idea because again it keeps everyone together and communicating.

Having people sending AIM pm's to 1 person here and 1 person there is a recipe for disaster. As soon as 1 person from a team is not around the whole thing will break down and that team will be a no-show cause you don't know how to get in touch with everyone from that team. Even if you have every single person on AIM or whatever, it's still not the best way to communicate for a tourney, IRC is.

I would recommend having a scrim night a couple times before the tourney where interested teams can show up and scrim other teams. This will help you figure out which teams are flakes. You don't have to make it mandatory, but it will help you find out who is willing to show up.

Each team needs to designate a captain who's job it is to ensure that their team knows when they are playing, and shows up. If they can't make it, it is the captain's job to say so in advance, not the day of the tourney. You need to make somebody responsible or else the team will just assume someone else will handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight View Post

You guys need to get an IRC channel and make everyone who is playing hang out there. Seriously. It will help weed out the men from the boys. Teams who can't bother to get on IRC won't be bothered to show up either.

Only pick teams who seem very committed and are already known to be around and play often. If that's only 4 teams, so be it.

You'll never get 100% participation, so you have to plan for that and be able to make due with the teams that do show up. (Although it should be most of them if you've picked the right teams.)

You need to have quick access to everyone who is playing, not just team leaders. IRC is the best place for that. Get used to it, it's really not hard to get on IRC.

You should all use voice servers if you want to play as a team. Having a community voice server available for all the teams to use would be a good idea because again it keeps everyone together and communicating.

Having people sending AIM pm's to 1 person here and 1 person there is a recipe for disaster. As soon as 1 person from a team is not around the whole thing will break down and that team will be a no-show cause you don't know how to get in touch with everyone from that team. Even if you have every single person on AIM or whatever, it's still not the best way to communicate for a tourney, IRC is.

I would recommend having a scrim night a couple times before the tourney where interested teams can show up and scrim other teams. This will help you figure out which teams are flakes. You don't have to make it mandatory, but it will help you find out who is willing to show up.

Each team needs to designate a captain who's job it is to ensure that their team knows when they are playing, and shows up. If they can't make it, it is the captain's job to say so in advance, not the day of the tourney. You need to make somebody responsible or else the team will just assume someone else will handle it.
                Sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight View Post

Great points.

Not sure if the PS3 browser works with Flash/Web based Chat rooms but if it does you wouldn't even have to fire up the PC if there was one setup for PS3 UT3 events.

Comment

Originally posted by UrLord75 View Post
                    Where were they posted?
                    First post of his thread, where everything was posted

How do we set up an IRC channel for Ps3 Players or is there already one available?

Comment

I think a week is still too short, but agree that 30 days is too long. People have jobs, school and other responsibilities that will keep them away.

Great Ideas so far recap:
                      1. Spread the tournament over 1 to 2 weeks
                      2. Assign one team member from each clan to handle their internal clan communications
                      3. Set the brackets and require opposing teams to figure out on their own when to compete within the 1 to 2 week schedule (this is why I suggested 30 days of mayhem)
                      4. The tournament goes forward. No shows count as "Forfiet", with the winner advancing
                      5. Schedule the event during school and/or holiday breaks. i think the next Spring Break is a great opportunity
                      6. Arrange an IRC channel for group discussion. If not, host a map in UT3 so the clan leaders can talk. Do it more than once if there are more than 8 people invloved

A few new thoughts:

I realize it's just a game, but the UT3 community is just plain fun. I would like to see it continue to grow. I'm sure we can get Epic involved somehow. Maybe we could time the tournament to coinside with the "Major Expansion" or other Epic event. I'll reach out to their marketing department and follow up with you here.

I doubt people are playing for prizes/money and their true interest is in bragging rights, however...
                      1. I'll match every dollar donated to the prize pool, up to $500. This will give us up to $1,000 to divide into prizes. The prizes could be a copy of a game, console accessories or cold hard cash. plus, we may be able to get some prizes donated by Epic.
                      2. All tournament communications need to be in one place. SMPut3.com will be able to handle this easily. This means the brackets, rules, rosters, etc. are all in one place. Promote the event via all clan websites and Epic, but keep the important stuff in one place.
                      3. ALL participants must provide a means of communication, via email, PSN or other method, even though they have one person assigned to communications. I can create an online sign up form for this.
                      4. Create a master "Tournament" PSN account for communications
                      5. In 4 Vs. 4 matches, the match will start as soon as the start time passes and 3 of each team shows up. This could create uneven teams, but the schedule must move forward. Clans need to manage their own team members and have alternates standing by so they don't get hammered when someone fails to show. This is fair to everyone waiting for their turn. Obviously a 15 minute window to show up within is appropriate.
                      6. Require teams to provide a "Will Play" list and at least 2 alternates if they have additional members available
                      7. Lets do some polls to find out about best days to play, time zones, etc.
                      8. if we make this a successful annual event, we may be able to get dedicated Midway Servers donated. It's a stretch, but the better organized we are, the more likely this will happen.

Let's not look for any one person or clan to blame for yesterday. It happens. Let's move forward.

Comment

annual is a bit long? :P
                        but some good stuff up there

Comment

I think it would be a nightmare trying to organize this more than once a year. Maybe twice would work.... but... that's a lot of work for the volunteers. If Epic gets involved, the prizes could be significant and they could provide the servers, spectator modes and live streams.

I guess my thinking is to take this to a different level and get the people who can really make it happen involved. It's an easy "win - win" for us and Epic. We want to have fun and they want to keep interest in their product.

Comment

honestly we had people like walshy pro-halo 3 player and **** intrested because of a tourney, if epic would put up a small tourney like 1g-5g this game would gain alot of popularity, really how much is 5grand compared to the priceless advertising that a tourney brings?

in these competetive games people want/need tournies, most PC games for the past 10 yrs have been popular because they were the ones with tournies, and the other games without tournies died.

Comment

What I'd ask of Epic games would be the use of some of the always empty dedicated servers they wield, and maybe 1 of em as a prize for the winning team (so it'll host whatever settings/gametypes they want it to)

Comment

Originally posted by Drokun View Post
                                What I'd ask of Epic games would be the use of some of the always empty dedicated servers they wield, and maybe 1 of em as a prize for the winning team (so it'll host whatever settings/gametypes they want it to)

that would be nice to have.. but its not gonna draw in any new players

Comment

Working...
                                X