Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

PS3 IRC channel (PUG)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 IRC channel (PUG)

I was thinking we should try and get a PS3 IRC channel where we could set up pick up games like they do on the PC.

this would add alot to the ps3 scene and perhaps make people more willing to jump into team games, plus it would increase the skill level by creating alot better games then the average public game.

if you dont know a pick up game (PUG) is basically a game where once 8 players agree to play, 2 captains are picked at random and they pick every other pick to create 2 teams, the teams then meet on the server, and play.

if anyone who plays on the PC could help me get a PUG bot and a channel setup that would be great...

anyhow we should seriously get something like this rolling it would kick *** and mix and match alot of teams up and there wont be any **** talk about what clan is better because it will just be random teams.

anyone intrested ?

edit: also if anyone is intrested in this ill personally rent a server from midnightgaming to host this

I think this is a great way to stimulate the community before a lot of people move on to other games. You got my support. I'll look into this IRC thing and see what info I can get.

Comment

Any word on this?

Since mibbit will let you join the channel using the PS3 browser that should make it pretty convenient for any PS3 UT3 player.

Comment

no, the community is way to lazy.

Comment

lol very true

Comment

This is a good idea. IRC really makes the community more personal. Glad to see PS3 players not being total noobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebo View Post
              .... Glad to see PS3 players not being total noobs.
              Lol, nice - a compliment and a slap in the face all in one go!

Comment

Picking teams is problematic... people would have to keep switching until they got it right. GoW-Justice mod is a good workaround, but it's still way different from Captains picking. At unreal-station we have a shoutbox for that. On the Forums page, at the bottom. You can get it on your ps3 browser, but you have to sign up for the site to post in the live chat. There are some threads, sickboogiemurder has a custom map TDM thread w/maplist, and there are custom VCTF and CTF threads, with maplists, but they don't get much love lately...

Comment

^what are you on about?
                  this is a chatroom where you jump into a game if there's enough people, captains pick the teams so it's sorta balanced

Comment

^^^ I'm on about: This is a thread about ps3, which does not currently support such a room. What are you on about?

Comment

picking teams is easy, pick up games have worked on the pc since 96, if we cant figure it out i feel bad for ps3 players

Comment

I think most people here have at least someone in their clan who has acces to a PC.. everyone can get on IRC

Comment

i just don't see too many people booting up their pc to set up a ps3 game. maybe there's a way do it through the ps3 web browser.

Demon Slick was talking about the GOW Justice mod which is a score-based team balancing mutator. After each map, the teams are shuffled based on the number of points per second each player scored. See details here.

Comment

maybe one way to do it is to host a listen server named "PUG Lobby" with a high player count so that the game does not begin but everyone is able to chat while waiting. When you have enough players to form the real game, pick teams, exit the listen server, join the real server, change teams as picked, and go for it.

I may be able to make a mod that forces the required player count to be higher than the ps3 will actually allow so that the game never starts... making it a chat room in effect.

Comment

Pacerx, that sounds like the best way if it can be done. Not sure off hand if you can have the browser going and a game at the same time...for some reason I think not...

On the IRC question...I registered a new IRC channel on mibbit last night to see if it would work...I can join it via the PS3 web browser and it works fine. I've only been playing with it on the ps3 for a few minutes...but it seems ok. The channel is #UT3PS3@irc.mibbit.com if anyone wants to try it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X